In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

winchester 73 src

ram426ram426 Member Posts: 2
hi I have a 2nd model 73 src in 70% condition, I have good idea what it worth is. my problems it is engraved on the brass lifter, adams ex co. it also papers from cody as such. ? how much does adam ex add to the value.

Comments

• Options
    1873man1873man Member Posts: 130 ✭✭
    What does the letter say about the gun exactly?
    Bob
    NRA Life Member
    Cody Firearms Member
    Winchester Arms Collectors Association Life member
    73_86cutaway.jpg
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    Interesting. Adams Express Company out of Boston?  Sounds like a Wells Fargo or a Pinkerton type added providence.  I never heard of them so maybe it doesn't add as much or it could be more because its a less well known or common.  I'd bet it will add more if your paper work says Winchester engraved it.

Post some pic's, I'd like to see it- bet others would too.  Have a soft spot for takedowns.
  • Options
    truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭
    Adams Express started operations in the northeast in the 1850s. They expanded southward from there and by the Civil War they were through the south. In the later 1800s they did expand westward largely due to agreements with the railroads.
    Be aware that the express, stage, etc. markings on old guns are almost always fake. Somebody gets an old gun that has obviously seen some use and "enhances" it by adding markings in the metal, wood, or both. Check the markings very close under good magnification. The displaced metal from the markings should show some rounding and wear from use, not sharp edges. And, the patina on the surrounding metal should continue right down into the markings.