In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Pet quarantine

susiesusie Member Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2020 in General Discussion
Read this morning that a pug has tested positive for COVID-19.   Now we have feline and canine transmission, human to animal.  News report said that now should you be positive you should quarantine yourself from your pets.  

Just gets stranger and stranger.  Putting my tinfoil hat back on for another day of weirdness.

From the CDC:

• We are still learning about this virus, but it appears that it can spread from people to animals in some situations.
  • The first case of an animal testing positive for the virus in the United States was in a tiger that had a respiratory illness at a zoo in New York City.
  • CDC is aware of a small number of pets, including cats and dogs, reportedexternal icon to be infected with the virus that causes COVID-19, mostly after close contact with people with COVID-19.
  • Treat pets as you would other human family members – do not let pets interact with people or animals outside the household. If a person inside the household becomes sick, isolate that person from everyone else, including pets.
  • Further studies are needed to understand if and how different animals could be affected by the virus that causes COVID-19 and the role animals may play in the spread of COVID-19.
  • This is a rapidly evolving situation and information will be updated as it becomes available.

Comments

• Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,786 ✭✭✭✭
    My response to this was to call my 8 month old Border Collie over and give and receive a pair of big sloppy kisses!!
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭

Okay - so now I need to stock up on N95 respirator masks for the pets...

I can see a mask for the dog - pretty certain that somebody will have manufactured them already - but where does one acquire N95's tailored to fit the hedgehog and the duck and the ferret and the turtle...

What about the fish in the fish tank???

And there is no way your getting one of those masks on the cat.

We have some cute reticulated chipmunks in the backyard that I am fond of - do they mask up or social distance???

Mike

• Options
    firstharmonicfirstharmonic Member Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭
    If this virus can be readily  transmitted from people to animals our food supply chain could be in very real danger.
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020

Much like trying to give a Cat a bath , I have the mental image of mrmike trying to put a mask on a cat . Certain winner of America funniest videos!

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭
    remember the sci fy movies of yester year   coming true now the constant reminders in stores the tv propaganda ect drones with thermal camera to spot hitemps  the black shirts coming to remover you from society
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭

I have a reference book that covers gas masks and hoods and capes and respiratory devices intended to protect against chemical warfare agent attacks during WWI...

there are several pictures of such protection - say a full head cover gas mask with big twin filters and built in vision goggles on horses and dogs...

Protective gear for toddlers and infants in cribs and prams or strollers or baby carriages...

Mustard gas and chlorine and blister agents / contact vector threats...

Other horrible stuff.

Experiments to test equipment with livestock.

Mike

• Options
    susiesusie Member Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭✭
    How many other diseases are out there that have been transmitted human to pet, but we never tested because it didn't add to a panic that is being weaponized?
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    Two of our  four cats are still allowed to go for a mourning stroll. The other two not so much.
  • Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭

I think pugs fall into the cat category

• Options
    gartmangartman Member Posts: 660 ✭✭✭
    Where are people getting test kits for pets and zoo animals? In CA a  human being has to be half dead with virus symptoms to get tested.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,746 ✭✭✭✭

Anything to keep this going. ANYTHING! No money in letting this ride. Now be very afraid of your pets, your neighbors who have ten people over, ( better call popo), stay six feet away, that ones a hoot, wear masks on orders from governors , don’t touch anything, blah blah. Let’s ROLL and take back the USA.