In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Three years tomorrow

susiesusie Member Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2020 in General Discussion
since the 500 maybe 1000 year flood here in my little hometown.  Current River crested on 1 May 2017 at 33.13 feet above flood stage.  The old record was 26.8 feet above flood stage.  Flood stage is 13 feet.  Areas of the town are still being rebuilt/renovated.  My niece lost her cabin on the river which was on stilts.  Some folks gained a cabin when they floated from upstream.  Here is a video from the day it crested.  It wasn't quite at crest when the video was made.  

https://tinyurl.com/y7a3pbdr

Here is the river in its natural state:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22eSEKn6ZP8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nPbHX-72gI

Comments

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭
    been there done that once, fixed house then sold it, never could understand those folks who get interviewed on tv and say it wasn't as bad as last years or the one 2 years ago.  ONCE is enough......
  • Options
    Most of the folks in these parts have their cabins elevated to include the one my niece had.  They are elevated enough to park their vehicles under the cabins with plenty of head room.  Niece's cabin foundation was probably about fifteen feet higher than the riverbank and cabin another 10 feet up on piers.  It was just a record for the ages.  Many lifetimes may never see it again.  
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    This looks like what the folks in Texas and Louisiana suffered a few times in the past 12 to 13 years, Susie.  Very sad.  Some of my friends lost everything thing they had two or three years back. 

The videos show some very pretty river country.
    What's next?
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,380 ***** Forums Admin
    Wow, that was some bad times for those folks.
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,368 ******
    The same high waters are hitting the massive shorelines of the Great Lakes this past year.  Our towns boat ramps and scenic boardwalks are quite a ways under water.  Hundreds if not more lakeshore homes are flooded, some destroyed and erosion continues to move the shoreline inland.   
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,533 ✭✭✭✭
    Susie,
    I was just at Greer Spring 2 weeks ago. Once this pandemic cools off we should get together for a meet and greet.
    Dan
  • Options

Dan,

Absolutely. Would love to meet a long time, never seen friend.

Susie

• Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,533 ✭✭✭✭
    susie said:

Dan,

Absolutely. Would love to meet a long time, never seen friend.

Susie

Let's do it.