In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Weatherby Pre Mark V Stock

SFeaganSFeagan Member Posts: 2
Hey troops, I have a Weatherby 300 pre Mark V made in Southgate CA. The stock cracked (I dowed/fixed it, cracked again) and when contacted Weatherby they are not able to assist.  Would appreciate any direction for ordering a wood stock for the long action Mauser (7 13/16) hole sets.  BTW have Elk tag for AZ this year so wanting to use this awesome rifle. 

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    According to the late Frank de Haas's book. "Bolt Action Rifles". Weatherby used the FN made Mauser actions, for most of his rifles prior to 1958. When the Mark V went into production. Unless you have one of the early Weatherby's, made on a customers action.? Which is a can of worms. As it could be one, of a number of different actions. Shouldn't have any problem getting a stock for a FN made Mauser. Many different importers sold them, along with barreled actions. 
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    I find it odd that the repair failed.  Oil soaked wood?  Good glue is stronger than wood.  Good luck on your hunt.
    +1 the early stuff could be anything.  Sad they can't provide any information.
  • Options
    SFeaganSFeagan Member Posts: 2
    Hello Rufe-snow, It is a FN Mauser action (thank goodness).  With the repair fail the wood became brittle, I dowed the crack and recoil over road the fix.  Thank you for your information gentlemen.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    SFeagan said:
    Hey troops, I have a Weatherby 300 pre Mark V made in Southgate CA. The stock cracked (I dowed/fixed it, cracked again) and when contacted Weatherby they are not able to assist.  Would appreciate any direction for ordering a wood stock for the long action Mauser (7 13/16) hole sets.  BTW have Elk tag for AZ this year so wanting to use this awesome rifle. 
    Your stock failures are from the stock drying and the action movement under recoil going uncontrolled. Large caliber/high energy cartridges can wreak havoc on wood stocks when they develop any tiny amount of space so it can get a run at the stock under recoil. The stock should have been relieved and bedded properly to avoid this occurrence.

Finding an original or even a copy of the original Weatherby pre-Mark V, FN Mauser in stock someplace is going to be a challenge. Weatherby shouldn't have to be responsible for keeping parts in stock for 65 year old rifles especially with all the model changes that have taken place. Worse now, they have moved and are a much more modern trimmed down facility based on modern manufacturing.

You need to start an intense search of parts companies like Sarco, Jack First and Gun Parts to see if there is anything that might work. I did a quick run though of several sources I thought might have something and came up empty. You can have one made by Richards Microfit and maybe Boyd's but Boyd's might be an outside chance. The Richards stock will require fitting, bedding and finishing, which if you lack those skills might take more time than you have.

To accommodate your hunting schedule, I suggest calling Bell & Carlson to see if they still use the molds for the FN Weatherby. Order one of these to relieve the time crunch but be sure to have it properly bedded STRESS-FREE. Then, when you return from your hunt, get a stockmaker to create a new stock to include proper bedding.

While searching you should place a 'Want Ad' here on the forums since some gunsmith somewhere might have exactly what you need stashed in a corner of the shop.

Best.

• Options
    DokeyDokey Member Posts: 941 ✭✭✭
    There's a fellow in Clemmons NC named Evans Comptom  that reproduces stocks and has the Weatherby pattern you're looking for. His phone number is 336-766-0271. Best time to contact him is early morning. He has over 1500 patterns