In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1903 Springfield synthetic stocks

jeffb1911jeffb1911 Member Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭
I traded into some 1903 Springfield receivers and parts lately, and have started looking for some stocks.  I found some interesting things though, namely some synthetic stocks!  These look to be the original style mitliarty stock.  I had not heard of these before, and had a  few questions.  What were they made for?  Were they ever used?  How well do they hold up to shooting?  

Comments

• Options
    mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭
    never seen where are they
  • Options
    jeffb1911jeffb1911 Member Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭
    Found one on Gunbroker, saw others on other sights.  But this looks like all that I have seen.  
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/867321108
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    You might want to check with the folks at MPI. I seem to remember that Doc (original owner) made this style of stock for the Springfield rifles.

Best.

• Options
    dok2udok2u Member Posts: 100
    edited May 2020
    We used them on rifles we used for drill practice.  When you toss an '03 fifty or sixty feet across the drill floor and the other guy misses his catch, it doesn't turn out well for wood stocks. I hope this shorty video will show you a little bit of why the synth. stocks were used.    Just go to:  youtube.com/watch?v=yCm4SXDf7bU
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭
    "We used them on rifles we used for drill practice.  When you toss an '03 fifty or sixty feet across the drill floor and the other guy misses his catch, it doesn't turn out well for wood stocks."

BINGO^^^^
    We had those stocks on our drill team practice rifles.  The slick and shiny wood stocked parade rifles were reserved for show and competition. I was the unit's S4 so it was my job to keep all the equipment in usable order and there was lots of damage when new guys came on the team.