In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Tower Garden update

susiesusie Member Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭✭

Looking like I will be able to have a salad for dinner.

Comments

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    that much growth in only a couple weeks????  impressive.....
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    Does this produce constantly or does it require refreshing and recharging? I'd love to have fresh greens instead of what the stores sell.

Best.

• Options
    Does this produce constantly or does it require refreshing and recharging? I'd love to have fresh greens instead of what the stores sell.

Best.

It can be used continuously.  I filled every available spot with seedlings to see how fast everything would grow.  The water reservoir has an access for refilling the water without moving/removing anything.  You add minerals to the water when it gets down to about a half tank.  It came with enough mineral to last me for months.  There is a floating dipstick that lets you know the water level.  Comes with ph tester and additive to adjust ph level as well.

As long as I harvest from the outer rings of the greens and never take out the center growth it will continue to replenish itself for what I have been told is about three months.  I'm going to continue to chronicle my experience.  Also, as each "pod" of greens begins to stop producing I will have seedlings ready to go into it.  

The way it works is a pump in the reservoir pumps water to the very top.  There is a reservoir at the top that is perforated and the water trickles down through the tower feeding the roots.  If you are so inclined I have heard that since there is no dirt involved the roots are edible as well.
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    Interesting I didn't think LED light had a full enough spectrum to grow well
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    mogley98 said:
    Not LED lights.  These are grow lights.  I could have a cash crop if so inclined.....lol.
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭
    susie said:
    mogley98 said:
    Not LED lights.  These are grow lights.  I could have a cash crop if so inclined.....lol.
    If you were in Oregone that would be perfectly legal!
  • Options
  • Options
    gjshawgjshaw Member Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭

Where did you buy it and what is the manufacturers name. That is just what I’ve been looking for. We have a greenhouse for most of our flowers but that would be great for our screen room.

• Options

Son is a distributor so I bought it from him. I will PM you the link.

• Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,911 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like something I saw on a science fiction movie the other night :o. Hey post your son's info here.  I seriously might be interested also.
  • Options

Since a few have asked I will post it here:

Jbalentine.towergarden.com

Disclaimer: They aren't cheap.

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    Disclaimer: They aren't cheap.

Got that right! $670 is a might steep considering the actual pay back period and the reseeding necessary for continuous use. I love the idea but this will require some additional thinking and calculating. It might make an interesting DIY project in the future.

Prior to the epidemic, our local Community College was running one Agricultural program with three levels of activity:

- Greenhouse (hothouse)

- Hydroponics (continuous sustained growth)

-Aquaculture (3 species of fish)

It was amazing what they offered the community at large throughout the year insofar as greens, tomatoes, flowering plants and fish were concerned. The three small towns in the surrounding area pretty much bought them out whenever they announces a sale. It's a very successful learning platform for the college as well as being self-sustaining money-wise.

Best.

• Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Our local High school has a geothermal set up with hydroponics and several species of fish in an aquaculture set up. It is supposedly state of the art. It is quite large. People have come from Japan, and all over to look at and discuss the set up. It is VERY impressive. Large greenhouse set up as well. Great asset for the Students, as well as what they sell on a regular basis. Tilapia, bluegill, etc.