In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Which are you a better shot with??

montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,000 ******
Rifle
Pistol;
Revolver 
or  Semi auto
shotgun
??????

Comments

• Options
    redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm a pistol guy myself. Semi auto.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited May 2020
    It used to be rifle, but my eyes haven't gotten better with age, so now I do better with a handgun, especially one which is suppressed. The can on the muzzle dampens the recoil and seems to balance the pistol. 
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    I shoot better with a rifle and I fish better with dynamite. 
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,555 ✭✭✭✭
    when younger I was Ok with all of them never real good,  but enjoyed shooting wasted a lot of ammo , now my with eyes letting me down ,  I just do not enjoy shooting like I use to. I   still do with my sons and his friends but not  any "good" shooting " scopes  and a scatter gun will soon be my best bet in hitting any thing  :/
  • Options
    mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭
    Rifle
    Pistol;
    Revolver 
    or  Semi auto
    shotgun
    ??????
    my fun gun,
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭

I not only possessed a natural ability with rifles (any long gun carbine short rifle or rifle) but I practiced that skill and honed it enough to be nationally ranked...

And instead of having a narrow focus and being elite with one platform I shot everything I could get my hands on...

I can shoot right and left handed with a rifle - even at one point shooting in match events with the weak non dominant hand.

It's unconscious muscle memory and burned behaviors - a zen state easily slipped into - where my body does a number of complicated tasks on its own...

With a pistol I have to work at it - I have to think about what I am doing and concentrate - I will never be a good natural shot with a handgun...

Mike

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    Rifle shooting, offhand is my preference.
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,651 ******
    Give me a good single shot .22 and the squirrels will tremble in fear.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    I am a fair shot with all of them, and like my odds against a gangbanger.  The only rank I have comes from missing a shower though.
  • Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,786 ✭✭✭✭
    If I compare myself to the average shooter, I shoot handguns much, much better than the average handgun shooter.  I shoot rifles better than the average rifle shooter.  With a shotgun in my hand I am just an average shotgunner, if that. 
    Hunting deer I am a very good rifle shot but I am ever so careful.  I believe that the deer must go down as instantly as possible or you are not an ethical hunter.  As a result I NEVER take a shot of more than 150 yards!  I prefer under 100 yards.  I NEVER shoot at a running deer!  I always use some type of rest, a fence post, a tree limb what ever is handy.  What ever rifle I take to the woods is accurate.  I use quality scopes as the eyes ain't what they used to be.  I know deer anatomy so I know where to place the bullet.  Because I am so careful, 10 shots = 10 deer in the freezer.  All this doesn't mean I am a great shot, most anyone on this Forum could make the shots I make but it does make me an ethical, humane deer hunter!!

Having said all that, with the damage to wildlife that coyotes and wild hogs do, I will take any shot I get, not worrying  at all about wounding a 'yote or a hog.  I wont intentionally wound them but if I do "Oh well." 
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm a decent shot with anything I pick up, gun, bow, blow gun, what ever.   My most limiting factor is my eyes.   Fine .22 shooting with iron sights is affected.   I can still shoot a squirrel in the head, if I can see the head that is.   Of course there are people that are much better shots than me.  While I've done quite a bit of shooting I've never had the time or funds to just pound away for practice.   My biggest deficit it shotgunning, I'll say I'm better than average but that is a long way from really good.  I've seen really good shotgunners and I don't stack up to them.  None the less I've put a lot of birds in the  bag.    

I've only shot sporting clays once and that was a charity event.   IIRC I finished with a 65/100.   I've shot clays now and then but never on a steady schedule and the sporting clays event is the only actual shotgun range I've been to.

I've hunted successfully with rifle and pistol, both small game and deer.   Hard to say which I shoot the best.   But given a choice of only one I would take the rifle.
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    dreher said:
      All this doesn't mean I am a great shot, most anyone on this Forum could make the shots I make but it does make me an ethical, humane deer hunter!!

Choosing your shots is part of being a good shot.  Most anyone can get a sight picture and squeeze a trigger.  Not everyone has high harvest to shot ratios.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,275 ******
    He Dog said:
    I am a fair shot with all of them, and like my odds against a gangbanger.  The only rank I have comes from missing a shower though.

Same here.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    danielgagedanielgage Member Posts: 10,474 ✭✭✭✭
    1. shotgun raised up on one, could not afford extra shells so I made shots count, not as good as I used to be don't practice as much
    2.rifle with scope now not as good with iron sights as I used to be age I reckon
    3. hand guns didn't have growing up so not very good with them better with revolvers only because I have shot them more than autos

try my best to be an ethical hunter with all game but especially with big game I also agree with Dreher :
    dreher said:
      All this doesn't mean I am a great shot, most anyone on this Forum could make the shots I make but it does make me an ethical, humane deer hunter!!

• Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭
    Bolt rifle, then semi auto shotgun.
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    All of the above. Been shooting handguns so long,  when shooting close range, I dont use the sights.
  • Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,474 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Shotgun because it sounds like I suffer from the same problem as a lot of people responding to the survey. I suffer from CSS  -      ( can't see sh.. Er stuff ), therefore I do my best shooting now at the skeet, trap, and clays range. Still O.K. with a scoped rifle but iron sights defeat me. Handgun I still do well at the defensive drills but bullseye not so much. Getting old kinda sucks but it beats the alternative. At least I don't suffer from CRS (can't remember sh...er stuff) yet. At least I don't recall if I do, I'll ask my wife good old whats her name. Bob
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,170 ✭✭✭✭
    if your close enough, I could swing any of em and hit ya.................
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,033 ✭✭✭✭
    No option for a Blunderbuss or a RPG? As the years go I'm like Henry Fonda in "My Name Is Nobody". Just make the target come closer to me with all the options listed.
  • Options
    jarjar Member Posts: 618 ✭✭✭
    I am a rifle shooter by nature ,my eyes have pushed me to have to use a scoped gun now days though , love a good feeling shotgun and if I may say I am above the average . my pistol skills are in need of fine tuning , but I am working on it !
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭
    Full Auto
    That's me, spray and pray!!!!
  • Options
    mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭
    Better than the average person with pistol and rifle......got expert badge for both in the Army. Only fair at shotgunning (wingshooting targets). 
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭

Better than average with a rifle , fair hand with a pistol and ain’t worth a darn as a wing shooter .

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    chmechme Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭
    Proof that shot placement is NOT everything.  
    M38A1COM - Model Differences between years and variants
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭

You know what really frustrated me was sub machine guns...

I mean up until that point if you handed me a rifle or short rifle or carbine or anything bigger than a pistol I could hold me own or be a top competitor with anything you handed me...

In the gunshop days we had a customer - a state coroner / the guy I'm charge of the coroner's in the state who had a massive sub machine gun collection...

He had close to 100 pieces and examples of almost everything you could imagine from 1898 to the late 1950's...

He wanted his collection documented and cleaned and serviced and test fired and repaired or tuned...

He also wanted the guns researched and appraised - he wanted ammo for each one - he wanted spare mags and wanted his mags refurbished and repaired...

I had to learn trigger control and line of sight holds and two hand grips...

Pushing against forend hand grips or pulling back and down on short retention strips / webbing...

Muzzle flip and climb control - rate of fire estimates that effected point of aim and impact...

Cooling - not overheating the gun and getting the furniture to smoke or rounds to cook off as they chambered...

Firing from an open bolt - triggers that had multiple trip points for single shot or 3 rounds or full auto...

Adjustable movable weights on bolts and bolt bodies - move them forward or back and change the rate of fire...

Muzzle break and compensators and barrel weights...

Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the heck out of it and eventually became quite adept and skilled with most SMG's - but it took me the better part of 6 months to achieve a modicum of skill and control.

I spent close to 5 years on his collection working through maybe two guns each month - and he kept buying maybe a dozen guns each year...

I do have an SMG endorsement on my NRA instructors card now.

I would not trade the experience for anything - but I had to work hard and practice just to be safe in handling and get rounds on target at first.

Maybe some of you found it easy or had a natural talent or it was just one more type of gun or qual bar for your marksmanship rating badge..

For me it took awhile and an effort.

Mike

• Options
    lkanneslkannes Member Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭

At one time I was decent with any firearm but I practiced a lot. Wing shooting and trap were my "specialties." Since my cataract surgery, not so much.

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    "but my eyes haven't gotten better with age,"
    Me too Mark. I don't shoot much w/o an optic of some sort these days. That said, we shoot 22 pistols @ 100 yards which is quite a challenge to most anyone. I'm less steady as in the past so I just let the shots go as the dot flutters around the target. When you're my age, that line "aim small, miss small" is a thing of the past.
  • Options
    tomh.tomh. Member Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately my best isn't very good.
    But my best is with a single action revolver.
  • Options
    BikerBobBikerBob Member Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭

I practice more with shotguns, trap shooting. I shoot most critters on the farm with a scoped rifle. Except I like the crossbow for deer.

I reload a lot more pistol ammo than I seem to shoot for some reason. Guess I’ll have to work on that when I retire.

But for iron sights, I have some older 22s, and they are probably more accurate than my eyes.

• Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    I am a way better shot with my revolvers, than any semi auto pistol or any rifle. I only shoot one handed, as that is the requirements for the pistol league. Every time I try to shoot my revolvers with two hands, I tend to either push or pull my shots.
  • Options
    discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭
    was very proficient with shotguns,  both shot and slug,  as there was no rifle big game hunting in illinois.shot trap competitively for 5+ years averaging close to 1600 rounds a week. hunted with shotgun nearly 50 years.  veered into archeryin late 20s and became very good there,  both compound and stick bows.built my own arrows,  had fletching jigs,  cresting paints and rotary drum, cutoff saws.  the whole 9 yards. went the outdoor tournaments cycle became a bow hunting fanatic.  along comes son to got his start in archery also and  then progressed to the shotgun sports in addition to the archery.  shoulder problems curtailed my archery exploits and i went back to hunting/shooting shotguns until a couple years ago when i retired from hunting altogether.  now i tag along to the range with son and grandson,  building their arsenal along the way.
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    I have won competitions with all but revolvers.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,531 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm the best at everything in my own eyes.
  • Options
    OkieOkie Member Posts: 991 ✭✭✭
    Spit wads,

Bean flips

NRA Member