In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Grocery beef, etc.

SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
Stepped out today.  I needed to pick up a prescription and, after reading recent postings here, thought I would pick up some ground beef too.  Sure enough the beef supply is limited.   They had ground beef but not the usual supply or packaging.   A three pound roll is usually 7-8 dollars, there were none of these.   They did have some five pound rolls for just over three dollars a pound and I got three rolls of that.  Old folks sausage was two dollars a pound so I bought some of that for the freezer.  Chicken thighs for 99 cents a pound, also put in the freezer.  Very limited beef steaks and roasts.

Point is, here in Southern Indiana there was supply but it was below normal and I could see there is an issue in the regular supply chain.   Canned soups were decently stocked, still no baking powder, no store brand butter. 

Interesting situation.   I can't help but buy some things ahead when I see less than full stock.  I guess most people are the same, which of course keeps the shelves sparse.   Stocked up on black pepper and a few other spices just because.  I have plenty of beans and rice so we're not going to go hungry for quite awhile.  Still just natural to stock a few things I guess.   I spent almost 300 bucks, when I meant to only pick up about 50 dollars worth of stuff.

Comments

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    I never buy ground beef, but I looked specifically for it today in order to see the price. There were two varieties being sold in 1 pound packages (only): 80/20 was $3.99. The next grade, which was labelled as ground sirloin, was $5.99 per pound.  Since I normally don't buy ground beef I don't know if these prices are higher than normal.
  • Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭✭
    Just got back from doing the errands that have piled up the last 2 weeks. Decided to stop at the grocery store to save having to go in a couple of days. This is a major Northern midwest store ( Meijer ) and I was surprised by what was in stock. T.P., Chlorox disinfectant spray, chicken, a lot of beef, most of the can goods,back in stock and other stuff. Only needed a few things because the freezer is full but checked the meat prices out of curiosity. 80/20 in a 3lb pack was $4.50LB, chicken was 30 - 50% higher for all cuts, pork was still close to normal. Glad my freezer is full but I probably should have bought some anyway because it is likely to get worse. On a positive note they had everything I needed with the exception of navy beans, haven't seen those any where for 5 or 6 weeks. Bob
  • Options
    DaveH196803DaveH196803 Member Posts: 41
    Well just went shopping this morning and noticed how little bacon was in stock. Makes me wonder how bad a fix the pig farmers are in right now.
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    Based on these comments it is rather interestingly, geographically impacting supplies. I went to get Seafoam at the Wally World neighborhood market and it had everything also.
    Plenty of TP, meat, bread, etc., etc. Prices didn't seem high but not on sale either.
    I have no place to put the excess so I refrained from anything except a bag of Scoops Fritos and 2 cans of Seafoam.
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭
    Do you spray the seafoam straight on the Fritos or make some kind of dip??
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    mogley98 said:
     I went to the Wally World neighborhood market and I refrained from anything except a bag of Scoops Fritos and 2 cans of Seafoam.
    I prefer green salsa or French onion dip, but chips and Seafoam sounds intriguing. [Is green font even remotely necessary?]
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    Deer season will be here starting Sept. Tenant ask me the other day to go with them to shoot some hogs caught in traps.
  • Options
    mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭
    I never buy ground beef, but I looked specifically for it today in order to see the price. There were two varieties being sold in 1 pound packages (only): 80/20 was $3.99. The next grade, which was labelled as ground sirloin, was $5.99 per pound.  Since I normally don't buy ground beef I don't know if these prices are higher than normal.
    About normal.
  • Options
    As I have said before, I currently work for a large grocer in Texas, in the meat dept. Our shelves are being routinely stocked though we dont have much backstock. We are having problems with bacon, some types of lunchmeat, and riccota cheese (strange). Overall we are in pretty good shape and things are slowly returning to normal. Unless there is another run, we will be ok.
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    I bought beef tenderloin at Eden's Fresh Market in Fayetteville, GA over the weekend for $8.99 lb. I also bought a lot of those steaks and a total of $350 worth of other steaks, ribs, ground beef, and chicken.

Tried out my new grill today that I purchased on sale at Walmart last fall for $100.00 bucks. It was already assembled too. The steaks and the grill were all a good buy.

• Options
    redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,686 ✭✭✭✭
    I've got plenty of "ground beef". ;)
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    Went to wall-e-mart the other day, didn't look at the prices of meat, (have plenty in the freezer) but it looked like they were  fairly well stocked. No ducks or whole "small" turkeys. (for beer butt, love beer butt birds) But that is nothing unusual, duck is hard to come by.
    What I was looking for is muffin mix. (been baking a lot lately) Not a single muffin mix to be had, not one, well if you don't count jiffy mixes. (never tried them) And the wife's flavor of potato chips, they have not had them in a couple of months, plenty of mine though.
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,368 ******
    For some odd reason, my favorite brand of beer has not been available in any of the stores in my area for the last 3 weeks.    

Hamm's Special Light.  :'(    Picked up a case of Bud Light and it took several bottles for my taste buds to adjust.  
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,786 ✭✭✭✭
    Have been around long enough to see beef prices go up for a variety of reasons over the years other than Chinese virus panic.  
    Drought, feed problems, mad cow, and other reasons. 
    Coincidentally, the market itself fixes the problem NOT GOVERNMENT. When beef goes up exponentially, people quit buying it.
    Then, the prices go down to where it used to be or it rots. 
    I love capitalism.

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    I have noticed a shortage of beef, pork and chicken in KY, WV and here in Ohio.  Thank God above I shoot and freeze two-three deer a year.  Ground venison mixed 50/50 with ground lean bacon makes awesome burgers.  Venison mixed 50/50 with pork shoulder makes for excellent burgers, chili, pasta sauce or meatloaf.
  • Options
    I like venison burger without any additions.  Very lean, very tasty!  No greasy mess in the pan or flare ups on the grill.  
  • Options
    Brookwood said:
    I like venison burger without any additions.  Very lean, very tasty!  No greasy mess in the pan or flare ups on the grill.  
    I'm the same way.  I use ground venison for ground meat cooking, no grease to drain, taste good.  Except if I want hamburger patties for sandwiches I use ground beef.   Venison is too dry for burgers.  Rather than mix and match I just use each for what's needed.   I think ground venison makes better tacos, sloppy joes, etc. by itself anyway, so not need to add stuff for that.
  • Options
    Aztngundoc22Aztngundoc22 Member Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭
    OK ::::
    WTF ??? Scam ????
    Thanks !!!!
    The more people I meet : The more I like my Dog :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I Grew Old Too Fast (And Smart Too damn Slow !!!) !!! :o :?
  • Options
    papernickerpapernicker Member Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭
     I poked around in WM, earlier in the week and saw Wagyu beef steaks and burgers. Got a pack of 3 fat burgers for $5. They were good and I went back and spotted them again. It seemed like no  one noticed them. I bought 2 packs and left 1
  • Options
    danielgagedanielgage Member Posts: 10,474 ✭✭✭✭
     I poked around in WM, earlier in the week and saw Wagyu beef steaks and burgers. Got a pack of 3 fat burgers for $5. They were good and I went back and spotted them again. It seemed like no  one noticed them. I bought 2 packs and left 1

is the Wagyu beef better tasting ?
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Actually I can buy a cow and butcher it or have it butchered cheaper than I can hunt for deer and don't have to spend a tenth of the time to doing it.

A man can't hunt deer with that old .30-30 you've had in the closet since grandpa gave it to you back in the 50s or 60s. You'll have to have an expensive new rifle with a scope that cost as much or more than the rifle. Probably something chambered for the 700 Nitro Express because you certainly don't want criticism for making the deer suffer from using a caliber to small like a .30-06.

Then you have to have all the latest in camo hunting clothes and boots and insulated undies including an orange vest and hat.. Then you'll need to chip in and pay for some lease hunting property and if you spend the weekend you'll need a travel trailer or some kind of shack or tent to stay in unless you sleep in your truck. Speaking of trucks a regular truck won't do so you gotta have a 4 wheel drive of some sort not to mention an ATV to get back in the really remote places and of course a trailer to haul it on. Probably need a sleeping bag and cot, fold up table and chairs, disposable dishes etc. and a portable Coleman gas stove to cook on with a coleman lantern or two and a 20 million lumen waterproof flashlight. 

Then there's hunting license and gas for the vehicle to get to the hunting spot and don't forget the ammo. You'll also need some extra ammo to sight that new scope in with. If you don't have a place to sight your scope in you'll have to pay for some range time. Who can hunt deer without making a stop at Sam's for a few bags of beef jerky and other food supplies. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to buy an emergency 1st aide kit while your at Sam's. Don't forget that cooler to put your beer in. One of those that keeps things cold for 3 months is a must have. 

Almost forgot about a tree stand. Bass Pro has them for sale anywhere between $119.99 to $329.00 bucks. Don't want to forget some good rain gear either. It can get pretty chilly sitting in the rain in the tree stand. I would also need some new shooting glasses since my old ones are scratched up. What else did I forget. Ah, I'll probably think of it about the time I get halfway there. 

I could just shoot the deer my wife feeds at the edge of the woods behind our house but then I would probably have to buy a new house to live in and search for another wife. :D
  • Options
    Correct Smitty.  For most of us buying beef is cheaper than hunting.   I'm going to hunt anyway, so I may as well eat it.   Lucky for me I have a good friend that lives in SD.   So I have a place to stay when I go there bird hunting.  Even with that the cost of those 15 pheasants and what ever else I  bring home is something I don't bother to calculate.   
  • Options
    Smitty, I agree on much of the stuff needed for hunting but find most of it is used for other things other than hunting.  Camping, fishing, hiking, and just plain enjoying the great outdoors!  You have to dress for the weather in all circumstances so I buy  hunting clothes that are neutral in color and just use an orange vest and hat during deer season.  The rest can be worn anytime without looking like a hunter out of his element.    

I don't travel out of state for hunting so my license and traveling expenses are not a budget breaker.  Blessed to live in an area abundant with game and fish!   Being an outdoor sportsman is not a cheap pursuit I agree, and you did miss the costs of all the 21st century gadgetry like GPS units, fancy game callers, electronic scent blockers, range finders, and don't get me started on what is out there for fishing!

The whole system is rigged against us (the common sportsman) to separate us from our hard earned cash!     That is why I'm a simple man of the basics with no need for most of the above "lures" they try to sell us. 
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭✭

I own my land I hunt on , literally my backyard .... about 75 acres of woods and low grounds . Hunt from box stands we. built out of salvage wood and metal. Guns are 20 years old or older , still work fine don’t have to spend a lot

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    Tell me about it!  I hunt with a traditional flintlock and black powder!  None of this modern do dad stuff for me!
  • Options
    SCOUT5 said:
    I'm going to hunt anyway, so I may as well eat it.     

Yep I know what your talking about. Deer hunting is sorta like reloading. You don't actually save money reloading you just spend more money on equipment because you enjoy doing it. I've spent enough on all kinds of presses and do-dads for reloading that would have more than paid for all the ammo I'd ever need to buy for the rest of my life. But it sounds good to say you're saving money anyway. Actually the best thing about reloading is that it's convenient. You don't have to check all over town to find the caliber you're looking for. Then there are times when you do actually save some money especially those times when the sky is falling that sends the the liberal soccer dads and moms with their hair on fire to the gun stores buying up everything in sight like during this most recent zombie virus attack. 
  • Options

Excellent question and I have also been wondering. It was like any other good burger and cooked rare. The taste and texture may have been slightly better. Same price as regular stuff.
  • Options
     I have been reticent ,including today, to spring $15 or more for various steak cuts for a small piece.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    Should we 'assume' that WM is Walmart? If yes, you actually found Wagyu beef for sale in a Walmart?
    The reason I ask is that Wagyu beef in Walmart is counterintuitive. I wouldn't expect to find the ultra premium beef even considered to be in their meat case mix. While our local Walmarts are not considered to be inexpensive with regard to meat prices, Wagyu is way above those prices if truly Wagyu.
    What are WAGYU?

WAGYU - a Japanese beef cattle breed – derive from native Asian cattle. 'WAGYU' refers to all Japanese beef cattle, where 'Wa' means Japanese and 'gyu' means cow.

Wagyu were originally draft animals used in agriculture, and were selected for their physical endurance. This selection favored animals with more intra-muscular fat cells – ‘marbling’ – which provided a readily available energy source. Wagyu is a horned breed and the cattle are either black or red in color.

The question of being better tasting is a personal opinion and like asking about any other food can run the gamut of definitely yes to definitely no. I'm not any kind of expert on Wagyu or Kobe beef since I choose not to pay for it. The few times I have had it have been at dinners where I had no choice in the selection. On each of those occasions I found that the enormous amount of fat in the presentation coated the inside of my mouth which was not pleasant to me. The flavor, when it came through all the fat, was O.K. but nothing special in my opinion. Others present at the same dinners raved about its flavor and texture.

I guess I'm too much of a Midwesterner and Southwestern beef eater to make the transition to the Asian tastes in beef. I do enjoy a nice piece of Tenderloin, T-bone and Ribeye from the grill of course! But Pork Chops and Chicken on the grill are all equal to my taste buds.

Best.

• Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

A couple weeks ago, I came across a nice selection of Ground chuck for $2.99/lb. Good deal. Grabbed a couple (Noticed later it was $2.99 off.) Very little hamburger to be had. Right place, right time.

Stopped in a few days ago. Ground beef was $6.39/lb. WTH?

Crazy.

My freezers have been stuffed full for months. I try to plan and stock ahead. (I'm strange like that.) Probably 10 London Broils, (for Jerky.) maybe 15+ racks of Pork ribs, Steaks, Pork chops, Pork tenderloins, Turkey breasts, etc.

As long as the power does not go out, I am good for meat.

As far as the Wagyu, I do not care for fatty meat. I much prefer leans cuts. NY Strip, etc.

• Options
    Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭
    The wife went to WalMart last week in search of a brisket...No beef...Went to City Market ...nada ... found one at Safeway @3.99 #. She also picked up a couple of New York steaks...freaking $14 + a pound! Our local market beef has almost doubled in the last week! As someone else said...Didn't think beef would cost more than seafood...Sheesh!
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
  • Options
    I never cared much for any fat on beef and always trimmed it off before cooking.  Paying for fat IMO is like paying for bones.  Price per pound on boneless lean beef, I will pay extra when I see it.
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    Update....actually looked at the price today.....93% = $8.49 lb.
    Didn't buy any.
  • Options
    Grunt2 said:
    The wife went to WalMart last week in search of a brisket...No beef...Went to City Market ...nada ... found one at Safeway @3.99 #. She also picked up a couple of New York steaks...freaking $14 + a pound! Our local market beef has almost doubled in the last week! As someone else said...Didn't think beef would cost more than seafood...Sheesh!
    At the store where I work.......we are not even selling brisket because of the price.........it is going for $1.99/lb by our competitors so we aren't even offering it. $1.99/lb is below cost.
  • Options
      Things are unusual in the meat departments, including Walmart, where I did get this meat. The steaks do look like the photos