In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ruger Vaquero question

capgun1capgun1 Member Posts: 63
I am looking at a used old model Vaquero. The gun is real tight, and I was told it had an action job. When cocked the bolt pops up quickly, way before the notch lead. Is that a problem?

Comments

• Options
    mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭
    no the old ones were tops large frame did not need a trigger job I have 8  I belive they are making large frame again
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    Not really a Ruger person but I suspect it was set up for quick draw. Worst that can happen is a more pronounced drag line on the cylinder as opposed to not being full locked up at the firing.  My first S&W 29 with +30,000 rounds of full tilt hand loads has finally started to have the bolt sit on the edge of the notch if I cock it really really slowly. Not an issue with a firm thumb back.  I suspect the hand is wore some, I'll fix it soon as the weather is better.
  • Options
    capgun1capgun1 Member Posts: 63
    I thought maybe it would wear the top of bolt excessively, but I think Rugers have strong bolts.
  • Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    How old is a "old" model Vaquero?
  • Options
    lkanneslkannes Member Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭

I believe Ruger switched from the larger frame to the New Vaquero around 2005.

• Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    When old model is mentioned 3 screw comes to mind. No 3 screw Vaquero's
  • Options
    mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭
    Not really a Ruger person but I suspect it was set up for quick draw. Worst that can happen is a more pronounced drag line on the cylinder as opposed to not being full locked up at the firing.  My first S&W 29 with +30,000 rounds of full tilt hand loads has finally started to have the bolt sit on the edge of the notch if I * it really really slowly. Not an issue with a firm thumb back.  I suspect the hand is wore some, I'll fix it soon as the weather is better.
    you will shoot your eye out