In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Who else is eating more ice cream these days?

yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,033 ✭✭✭✭
I stopped by the shops and I was making a b-line to check out. Passed the ice cream isle to the open register and I hit the breaks. 2 Dryers for $6.00 the wall of tags SCREAMED OUT. Not my usual brand (I like Bryers and Tillamook or Country something Walmart used stock but no longer). If I didn't see Butter Pecan I may have made it without opening the door. Since they were gonna get me for $3 I might as well get another flavor. I chose spumoni. Haven't had that in years so why not? Cheaper than buying fire arm bits or therapy.

Comments

• Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Nancy Polucy and I think she lives somewhere  near you. You should call her up and invite her over for some Blue Bell. :s  
  • Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭
    "spumoni" Ain't that the guy from Fast Times at Ridgemont High???
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,555 ✭✭✭✭
    LOL
     I was just making fun of my wife ( got to blame some one )  for some reason we  (my wife and  my oldest son and my self ) got on a ice cream kick , comes and goes  but  this time it hit hard I bet we have ate at least a gallon a week last six weeks or so maybe more I do not count it  , but I just tossed three empty half gallon containers in the trash earlier today  we normally bought bryers   but all we have been eating  at least  last couple months the brand name  is homemade 
    it seems to be more creamy maybe more milk fat content my guess,  but it is good 
    the strawberry has big if not complete strawberry's in it ,  I am sure its just a trend as I said it comes and goes 
    and we move on to something else to get a sugar fix ...

• Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,474 ✭✭✭✭
    We just finished the first half gallon the I have bought in about 6 months. Guess the WalMart ice cream licker turned me off for a while. Ice cream making is an art. Usually I try to get a local brand instead of the big mass production companies stuff. Creamy consistency is a product of milk fat but even cheap ice cream can achieve that with overrun. Overrun is the amount of air put into the ice cream as it is churned. Cheaper ingredients + a little more air and most can't tell the difference. Bob
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭
    SWMBO was feeling blue the other day due to the lack of female yakking, so I bought a half-gallon of butter pecan for us to share. I think it helped.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    "spumoni" Ain't that the guy from Fast Times at Ridgemont High???
    That would be Mr. Spiccoli
  • Options
    spasmcreeksrunspasmcreeksrun Member Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭
    would not you like to stop over at nancy P's   for some pistachio prune ice cream ????
  • Options
    varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭
    the only way i can stop eating Blue Bell is to not buy it.  if its in the house i
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,653 ******
    Why, yes, I have been eating more ice cream, now that you mention it. Do you think it’s related to the virus thing?
  • Options
    gartmangartman Member Posts: 660 ✭✭✭
    Yep! Not even picky about the brand, it all tastes good to me. Seems to ease the dreariness of this virus stuff.
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,351 ******
    There is a local brand here called "Moomer's" that is made just outside of town at a dairy farm.  It is the very best ice cream I have ever eaten!  

There are other factors about the taste and consistency of ice cream.  If the product is stored and freezer temps fluctuate warmer aka partial thaw and refrozen, the stuff gets that gritty sandy feel to it on your tongue.  
  • Options
    mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭✭
    eating ice cream kills the virus
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    Nope, but I am drinking more rhum.
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭

Best premium I have found is a regional brand called Simply Natural . Small family owned dairy using only their own farm raised Jersey cows . Best I have ever eaten.

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    Tried out the spumoni. Usually I don't do chocolate so the chocolate flavor in the spumoni was really strong. I was thinking I don't think I ever saw Bryers having spumoni. Another flavor I haven't had in years Rocky Road or that one with raisins. What was that called? When I was a kid and had that particular ice cream I used to spit out the raisins. That's gonna bug me that I can't remember that name.
  • Options
    mmppresmmppres Member Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭
    Been hitting it pretty hard to.  But they got all kinds of crazy stuff now.  Different flavors that should not be in icecream.  Italy's used to make a toasted almond fudge.  Can't get that any more.  Now names like moose turds an candy corn. Yuk.  Just make good old fashioned full cream icecream. You know the kind the doctors don't want you to eat 
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,531 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Dollar General carries Edy's / Dryer's Slow Churned Carmel Delight. OMG is that good Ice Cream!

Caramel Delight Ice Cream - SLOW CHURNED - Dreyers500 × 480
  • Options
    Half the fat? I got that in Butter Pecan. I better go and read the label. There should be no healthy ice cream. Did they ever make healthy meth? Coke lite? That reminds me I kind a want vanilla so I can have a Coke and ice cream float. Maybe if they still have the sale going and I remember to stop off?
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,531 ✭✭✭✭
    Half the fat? I got that in Butter Pecan. I better go and read the label. There should be no healthy ice cream. Did they ever make healthy meth? Coke lite? That reminds me I kind a want vanilla so I can have a Coke and ice cream float. Maybe if they still have the sale going and I remember to stop off?

There aint nothing light about that ice cream. Try it sometime.
    I'm allergic to Chocolate so my choices are limited.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
     ...or that one with raisins. What was that called? When I was a kid and had that particular ice cream I used to spit out the raisins. That's gonna bug me that I can't remember that name.
    Rum Raisin?

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,001 ******
    ..I wouldn't say I'm eating any more, let's just call it not eating any less,,,
  • Options

drobs - Yeah it tasted okay. I was expecting some no fat, no sugar science project. But I still need to be careful and read the label.

nononsense - Rum Raisin. I wonder if they still make that stuff? Got to see if I like it as an adult?

Went out to the shops because I had no onions for the pasta sauce so picked up a thing of vanilla. That reminds me I got to put a few cans of Coke in the fridge for the float later in the week. I think I have Coke? I may have to try Ginger Ale Float, too.

• Options

As we speak the ice cream freezer is churning up a batch of homemade vanilla ! To go with the brownies in the oven

• Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,474 ✭✭✭✭
    pulsarnc said:

As we speak the ice cream freezer is churning up a batch of homemade vanilla ! To go with the brownies in the oven

You guys are the reason I am putting on weight since the stay at home deal started. GG and his baking got me doing more of that than I was. Now you have got me craving more ice cream and warm chewy brownies with a scoop on top. Please don't mention homemade chocolate chip cookies or that will be good for couple of more pounds.😁 Bob
  • Options

chocolate fudge from a 75 year old recipe has been “ordered “ 😂 by the granddaughter . This may happen on wed .

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,351 ******
    For many years and only on special occasions, I make a float without any soda pop. Instead I take a large tall glass and mix up half the glass with powdered chocolate malt and milk.  Then I add scoops of vanilla ice cream to the glass until it is nearly overflowing.  :p   Ohhhh sooooo gooood!
  • Options
    mnrivrat48mnrivrat48 Member Posts: 1,711 ✭✭
    For whatever reason I am on a ice-cream binge .I think I may be addicted.  Is there a 12 step program for ice-cream ?  If so it might take me 10 years to get my one year pin.  I can't afford the stuff Pelosi eats. I have to sort of settle for the Mad Dog 20-20 flavor.