In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Need a recommendation for a

armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
String trimmer told the wife she was done buying the $49 Black & Deckers.

Comments

• Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
  • Options
    Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭
    We just bought a RYOBI 4 stroke...a tad heaver than the 2 stroke...but no more mixing gas!
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,649 ******
    I am a four square Stihl man. But my next string trimmer will be an Echo.
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,350 ******
    I had a Stihl that I converted from string to plastic blade.  Got tired of the string mess. Then I just got too darn tired of the Stihl and gave it to one of my sons.

I do my lawn with a garden tractor and cut as close to the obstacles as the rig will get me.  Then that is all! Much of my landscaping is matted and planted with day lilies around most of the trees.  I cut things pretty flush and haven't had much of a weed problem. 
  • Options
    redhawkk480redhawkk480 Member Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭✭
    jimdeere said:
    I am a four square Stihl man. But my next string trimmer will be an Echo.

had my echo for about 6 years now , been a darn good trimmer
  • Options
    IdahoboundIdahobound Member Posts: 20,584 ✭✭✭

I have a DeWalt 60 volt and love it. Would recommend it to anyone. Never have to worry about a carburetor or mixing gas.

• Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Stihl, didn't know there were any other brand. Watch out with those 4 strokers, some of them run on mixed gas.
    You could learn this the hard way.
  • Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭
    Pay somebody with a commercial weed wacker. 
  • Options
    varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
     everyone and i mean everyone i have talked to that have bought battery powered trimmers love them.  they tell me the batteries last all the way till beer time.  for the average homeowner it seems to me the way to go.  im certainly planning on going that direction with my next one.
  • Options
    truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭
    I totally gave up on 2-cycle everything about three years ago: finicky about gas, stinking, noisy, etc. I now have 2 battery powered string trimmers, one is 40 volt, the other 60 volt. Both are great. Zero problems.
  • Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭
    Sure Stihl cost more but Stihl is one of those things that are worth the extra money that you have to pay for it. There is a certain comfort that comes along with knowing that you've purchased the best tool available.
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭

I use a Solo brand trimmer . One carb rebuild in a 35 plus year career Beats anything else I have ever used . Made in the USA in Virginia .

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,005 ******

ECHO.  Pay the bucks and don't look back.

• Options
    Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    I love my little battery powered trimmer. It's way underpowered compared to many nowadays, but I bought 2 aftermarket, larger batteries last summer and my 19.2V Craftsman is still running strong. I use 1 battery for the trimmer only and the other 2 for my other tools. 

Jon
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭
    I have an Echo that I have been using several years and am very pleased with.
  • Options
    IdahoboundIdahobound Member Posts: 20,584 ✭✭✭

I know of a great place to buy a DeWalt on June 12-13th. Great deal. Let me know if you are interested. Trimmers and everything DeWalt.

• Options
    grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I bought a Kobalt 40 V. limb saw from Lowes last year. It was one of the few that had a chain oiler. I'm planning to get the 40 V. string trimmer and another battery this summer. The 10% veteran discount more than pays the taxes.
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭

I should explain my post .My yard is close to 3 acres and I cut with a riding mower . Anything I cannot get to with the mower gets sprayed with roundup . My solo is mainly used for brush trimming with a cutter blade

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    I use stihl but if I only had a yard to do I would probably get a cordless electric set up.    
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    austin20 said:
    My yard isn't that big but I've got 160 feet of fencing just to begin with. Then there's the garden bed and a bunch of other stuff that has to get trimmed around.
  • Options
    BikerBobBikerBob Member Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭

Wife had trouble starting the 2 stroke, but in her defense it’s a pretty big one that I bought to trim a lot when we had a Christmas tree farm. Anyway, bought an AP series Stihl. I can move the battery to a small electric chain saw she wanted for fallen limbs and other smaller things.

You might not need one with as large of a battery, as I do around the edging and some rocks around the house, all the way around the barn, around a bunch of maple trees, and a ditch that is about 50 yards by 6-8 feet, too steep for the mower and a bit at the neighbor’s house... I seem to get a lot of use out of HER trimmer! I like it, no hearing protection needed, lighter than the gas one.

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,000 ******
    Got a 17 yr old 'weed eater' brand that all I do is add gas.  Have not drained the gas,have changed spark plug, nothing.  This is the first season I started using ethanol free gas too. 
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,555 ✭✭✭✭
     I bought a  troy built  several +  years back . we have a electric weed trimmer   but they just go dead before we even get started  we have several other two stroke trimmers but my wife has a hard time starting them , 
         so I bought the troy built and the starter to go with it ( its a rechargeable unit like a battery drill best I can describe it )  
     just push it into the keyed slot and hit the go button it will crank over the trimmer and fire right up 
     the trimmer has the string start also  .    it became her favorite one to use 
    the starter unit at the time was about  thirty  dollars and I also bought a 10.00  attachment  that just fits in a  drill that does the same thing 
     many years ago started just using the pre mix gas a bit spendy  but around us no regular gas to buy its all the crappy ethanol BS   its saved a lot of carb rebuilds / replacements