In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Anyone make icecream?

IdahoboundIdahobound Member Posts: 20,584 ✭✭✭

We are planning on firing up the ice cream maker on June 4th for Shiloh’s 9th birthday. Anyone have a good recipe. We have made a great chocolate chip and might go that way but want input on some others.

Comments

• pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭✭

order the Amish ice cream mix from the countryfreezerstore. Best you will ever make

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******

I’ll get you my vanilla one later.

never had any complaints.

• nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    Does Shiloh like some fruits?
    There is a ton of new, ripe fruit in our stores this weekend. The strawberries are excellent as are the blueberries. No peaches yet, of course. The melons are tasty when allowed to ripen a little bit.
    If she doesn't like fruit, then Vanilla Bean or something chocolate might get her attention.

Best.

• Wild TurkeyWild Turkey Member Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭✭
    My dad would dump a can of "Tattered Tom" peaches into the mix when it started to get thick.
    Juice and all; made great ice cream with chunks of peaches and lots of flavor.
    Can't find "Tattered Tom" peaches these days.  May have to let some ripen on the counter!

• BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,280 ******
    Living in what used to be The Cherry Capital of the World, my favorite homemade ice cream (made by my late Great Uncle Charles) was Vanilla.   It was good on its own but he also made a sweet thick sauce with Rainier sweet cherries which was generously dipped over the bowl of ice cream.  

Oh MAaaaan!   It was GOOOOooooood!! :p
  • Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******

Heat 3 2/3 cup of sugar in milk until dissolved.

Dissolve 4-6 Junket tablets.

Three Tbs vanilla. I use real vanilla not imitation.

Put in Ice cream freezer than add 1 pint 1/2 and 1/2 and half pint whipping cream.

Add milk to 4” from top of freezer.

• Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭
     when 1st married we  bought q  a ice cream maker but to me too slow for the final result . it was OK but too easy to pull a gallon out a local store 

as a little kid the first or second snow fall that amounted to any thing mom and dad would scoop up a bucket full add in sugar ,cream , I will guess vanilla and called it snow cream . 
     thinking back  nothing like eating all the industrial waste the snow brought with it but then again some of my southern family still used rain barrels  at that time to supply water to use and drink would add Clorox to kill the bad things but it tasted like Clorox also