In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Who in here shoots a .40?

select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
You know the weak .40 .   The middle child .

Comments

• asopasop Member Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭✭
    I have 4!  A Glock 22, Sig Pro 2022, Para Ord. P-16 and a H&K UPS.  Come see come sa ;)
  • KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

Two Taurus 740 Slims, (one by my right hand.) a Glock 22, a Kel -Tec Sub2K, 2 FN FN'S. (So 6.)

• Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    Been experimented with PC 40... The 155  Underwoods Crack when exiting. Box says 1300 out of a 4". The 135's are going 1450 before heading down the rifle barrel.
  • Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭
    My main carry is an old Glock 27.
    My main carry is an old Glock 27.

Can't bring myself to buy a Glock .40.  That unsupported chamber is the no go.
    edited May 2020
    And what is it with all the ammo I have seen in FMJ having a flat nose??? Should I name my gun a PUG... mashed in nose..
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    FNS 40 fits my hand perfectly. I feed it 6.7 grains of HS6 behind 180 grain hollow points. Clean, once fired brass is so cheap, I don’t worry with picking my fired brass up.
  • chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,718 ✭✭✭✭
    My M&P 40 is super accurate and reliable. I also like the Glock 23. It was only a few years ago, you could snag a few 40SW trade-ins for around $250-$300 when most went back to the 9s.

The 9mm, as well as the 45 ACP have gone nearly belly up and been rediscovered twice in a century, Certainly the 40 will have its turn. I am keeping mine.    
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    G 27, + G 20 & 1911, with 10 mm barrels. Been shooting and reloading for them, since the 90's. When I first got the G 20. 
    Far as I'm concerned, is that the 40 S & W.  Was misguided  response, to a nonexisting, perceived problem. To me, shooting the 40 S & W, with the heavier 165 to 180 grain bullets. Isn't a bit different than shooting the 45 ACP.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the 40 S & W. The G 27, has been my EDC since 2009. Probably 1000 rounds of factory and hand loads. Did change out, both the G 20's and G 27's barrels for Lone Wolfs. To  increase the safety factor. The chambers on the original Glock  barrels, were way to sloppy IMHO. Shooting them with hot hand loads, was a invitation for a Kaboom.

Kind of tickled me, when the FBI dropped the 40 S & W awhile back. And a lot of the local badge boys did the same.  They never should have adopted it, in the first place. 9 mm with modern high velocity HP ammo. Way, way better  than 40 S & W, for the average law enforcement folks.
    After running an indoor range for 15 years I have never seen a Glock blow up except for one M29 and that was most defiantly due to the reloaded 10mm ammo, not the gun. I know, I know, it happens every day, but it never happened at our range and there had to be thousands of .40 Glocks shot there.
    After running an indoor range for 15 years I have never seen a Glock blow up except for one M29 and that was most defiantly due to the reloaded 10mm ammo, not the gun. I know, I know, it happens every day, but it never happened at our range and there had to be thousands of .40 Glocks shot there.
    I changed out my Glock barrels to Lone Wolfs. Because when I measured the chamber mouth of the Glocks. With the inside reading jaws of a dial caliper. The Glock measurement, was .003 larger than the Lone Wolfs. 

That .003 might not make that much difference.  Shooting the lawyer proof, white box ammo from wally world. But shooting hot hand loads. Or some of the commercial, red line personal protection ammo. You would be skating on thin ice, Kaboom wise, IMHO.
  • chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,718 ✭✭✭✭
    rufe-snow said:
    I changed out my Glock barrels to Lone Wolfs. Because when I measured the chamber mouth of the Glocks. With the inside reading jaws of a dial caliper. The Glock measurement, was .003 larger than the Lone Wolfs. 

That .003 might not make that much difference.  Shooting the lawyer proof, white box ammo from wally world. But shooting hot hand loads. Or some of the commercial, red line personal protection ammo. You would be skating on thin ice, Kaboom wise, IMHO.
    Yep
    Never really liked Glocks idea of the oversized chamber even if they say it aids in reliable extraction and chambering. It scares the crap out of me when I see some of the bulged cases and occasional splits of ejected brass. Particularly in the earlier models.

• montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,893 ******
    Got a SIG Pro  with both the .40 S&W and the .357 SIG barrels.  
  • buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,235 ✭✭✭✭
    I carry a Glock 23 that was a police trade in.Very accurate and dependable.
    It's gonna blow!!!  :#
    Sorry, I just couldn't help myself.
    Some of the ammo manufacturers give a warning not to use in Glocks. The bottom of the chamber by the feed ramp is not supported. In other words the rounds do not seat fully in the chamber.
  • savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,446 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a few the three here and a Sig 239 that I have a 357 sig barreling it right now and if you count the S&W 610 that can also shoot 40 short and weak

• bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a S&W M&P 40 with Crimson Trace grips, I like it.
    So many folks talk the .40 down, don't know why ............................... goes bang every single time and leaves a respectable hole.
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭
     I have more 40s than a block party on a corner lot on a July night. Like them a lot, course I like about every caliber.
  • Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    I carry my little 15 ounce Kel-Tec P-40 sometimes. Great little guns. To bad they discontinued them.

• Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,176 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a Springfield Armory XD Sub Compact .40. I shot a raccoon a few years back with it. I think it was loaded with Fiocchi 165 grain hollow points. It literally turned that * inside out. Great gun with a Crimson Trace laser, but way too heavy with the 11 round extended mag for every day carry.
  • ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭

Just 1, a SIG P250C.

• redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,682 ✭✭✭✭
    Got a FNS 9 a while back and came across a .40 long slide upper for it. Liking the .40 upper more.
    I carry my little 15 ounce Kel-Tec P-40 sometimes. Great little guns. To bad they discontinued them.

Iv'd owned my P 11, since 1996. It was my EDC for years, before transitioning  to the G 27. All your P 40 is. Is a P 11 with 40 caliber barrel and slide. 

To make a long story short. Over the 1000+ hand loads, and hot commercial loads I've shot through the P 11. I managed to break, the slide stop and hammer axis pin. The recoil impulse with 40 caliber ammo, in your P 40. Would be orders of magnitude higher, than my 9 mm.  Because of this, I would be careful  with the P 40. And reconsider using it as a EDC. You wouldn't want it to self destruct, during a serious social situation.
  • NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭
    I have 4, all Glocks.  A 27, two 23's, and a 35.  Love 'em!
  • DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Does a 38-40 count?

....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...
  • jwb267jwb267 Member Posts: 19,666 ✭✭✭
    I have a desert eagle
  • Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    Never had a use for them.
    RLTW

Sam Quigley 😁
  • DPHMINDPHMIN Member Posts: 906 ✭✭✭

I have a KelTec P-11 9mm.  I also have a 40 S&W slide, barrel and magazine for it.  I have shot it with 180 gr, 175 gr and 135 gr. ammo.  It shoots good, but the recoil is noticeably  more than the 9mm.  I usually have the 9mm barrel and slide on the P-11.
    Doc said:
    Does a 38-40 count?

Yes... :)
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    I recall that the first ammo shortage I ever experienced (during Obama's first term) .40 was the only thing available on the shelf.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a Glock 23 that I received as a retirement gift.....one of my favorite firearms.....
  • redhawkk480redhawkk480 Member Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a Sig P250 , had it for 2+  years and still haven't shot it , only reason i purchased it was because it was going for  a good price and i had a fair amount of 40 ammo on the shelf with nothing to shoot it in ,
  • Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    rufe-snow said:
     All your P 40 is. Is a P 11 with 40 caliber barrel and slide. 

Well actually you're wrong. My gun was manufactured as a P-40. P-40 is molded into the frame not P-11. Here is a more clear picture. Maybe the reason your gun broke is because it's a P-11. I've shot enough of my .40 cal. reloads in mine to know it can take whatever I throw at it and it's never given me any problem and my reloads are hotter than what you can buy at the store. 

• Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭✭
    More than one. The 165 gr 40 hp out of a short bbl bested both 9mm & 45acp  (ball & hp) out of 5" bbls on a section of bullet proof glass. All shattered the front 3 panes, but it was the 40 that also crystallized the back 2.
    rufe-snow said:
     All your P 40 is. Is a P 11 with 40 caliber barrel and slide. 

Well actually you're wrong. My gun was manufactured as a P-40. P-40 is molded into the frame not P-11. Here is a more clear picture. Maybe the reason your gun broke is because it's a P-11. I've shot enough of my .40 cal. reloads in mine to know it can take whatever I throw at it and it's never given me any problem and my reloads are hotter than what you can buy at the store. 

I don't care what the marking is on your Kel-Tec. There is not a plugged nickel difference between the innards, of the P 11 and the P 40. The slide stop, and hammer axis pin will be the same. Don't push your luck with it. I've owned the P 11 since 96. And have well over 1000 rounds through it. 
  • Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭