In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Old Humpback Shotguns

buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭✭
Anybody notice the price has gone out of sight on decent condition Remington Model 11 and Savage 720 shotguns if you can find any for sale.They are getting near A5 prices around here .

Comments

• Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,453 ✭✭✭✭
    Make certain you do a shameful plug if you do
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    Have an A-5 the owner bought new. He died in 1963 and never shot the gun. His daughters were scared of guns and gave it to me,,,,,,I convinced them to accept what it was worth at the time. I’ve not shot it and probably won’t. Need to put it on the auction. 
    I have an A-5 that's never been shot. . It's the 20 ga. mag. that was made in 1973 in Belgium on top in the photo.

The Sweet Sixteen in the photo has been shot a lot. It was made in Belgium in 1954. 

And it is a Sweet Sixteen because it's engraved on the gun.

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    I've had a couple/3  humpbacks over the years, none were Brownings. They might have value to collectors, as nostalgic wall hangers. But for shooting, I would go with a gas operated shotgun for sure. The Browning long recoil operating system, gives way more of a sharp painful recoil. Than any of the gas operated shotguns, I've owned.
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    rufe-snow said:
    The Browning long recoil operating system, gives way more of a sharp painful recoil. Than any of the gas operated shotguns, I've owned.
    Speaking of recoil, a little off the subject, the hardest I've ever been kicked by any gun was when I shot a 3" high powered slug in this H&R single shot full choke 12 ga that I had refurbished years ago. My arm turned blue, green and black from my shoulder to my elbow. I don't know what I was thinking but It hurts to think about it.  :#

• Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭✭
    Smitty your pictures of the Brownings almost brought a tear to my eyes.
  • Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,473 ✭✭✭✭
    rufe-snow said:
    I've had a couple/3  humpbacks over the years, none were Brownings. They might have value to collectors, as nostalgic wall hangers. But for shooting, I would go with a gas operated shotgun for sure. The Browning long recoil operating system, gives way more of a sharp painful recoil. Than any of the gas operated shotguns, I've owned.
    Rufe I had a sweet16 from the 50s like Smittys. I have had dozens of shotguns over the years and none have hurt me like that Browning. The operating system coupled with the drop of the stock that was common on the older guns made it brutal to shoot. You are right I can shoot one of my more modern 12ga gas guns all day with no problems but that Browning system is a killer. Bob
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭

From the estate of my uncle Clayton - MACV SOG green beret special forces A team (field doctor - artillery spotter - ground attack aircraft controller - spoke German and Afrikaner and Dutch - chemical / pharmacology engineer - lost his left leg and 3 fingers on the right hand during house to house fighting at hue - urban warfare - he met David drake (hammers slammers) while on TDY with the only armor unit to deploy tanks in formation as an operating homogeneous unit - drake was a tank commander...

Uncle Clayton was in an OV-10 bronco that was laying rockets on enemy positions to direct fast movers to drop heavy ordnance...

After the sons had taken what they wanted from his gun room / office my aunt told me I could have what was left.

The items pictured represent the bulk of what I took home - along with a bun h of smalls - ammo - pocket knives - several ammo cans filled with coins from around the world and a bunch of trench art hand worked brass and silver gentleman's personal and office and tools / objects of art - jewelry - watches - lighters...

I wanted to show how the old humpback neglected orphan project gun...

There is a custom glass Apocrypha jar set in a molded pierced brass filigree - it contains pieces of the AAA shell and the plane that the surgical team removed from him - a ZSU-23MM self propelled quad cannon carrier.

Some interesting items - thought you might be interested...

Shout out if something catches your eye or if you fancy an item...

• Options
    discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭
    got both Browning A-5 12 gauge,  and Sweet Sixteen.  both Belgium  both hunted many years.  safe queens now to eventually pass down to my son  and kids.  my dad was in the oil field business,  and many jobs he took guns  in lieu of salary.  i inherited most all the guns upon his passing.  my brothers didn't hunt much so they passed upon taking any.  i gave a nephew a Rem mdl 48 28 gauge and a Wingmaster 12 gauge
  • Options
    mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭
    What is the item that looks like an awl or an ice pick? Is that an improvised CQC weapon?