In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Oil or water base stain;

montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,027 ******
for new fence??

Comments

• Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    Oil, termites hate it.
  • Options
    Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭✭
    Used motor oil.      It gives it a real nice color. Can be re-sprayed or rolled any time & is very cost effective.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,027 ******
    synthetic or conventional ??
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    Shingle oil.....
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    Stains are more art than science.  My house came with pre-treated redwood/hardwood T111 siding, which I painted every few years.  I tried to use the same brand/type of semi-transparent stain, but found every year or 2 the manufacturers changed the formula & type, but continued to use the same "name" on the label.  They changed from water base to partial oil to.... I don't know what. 
    My advice:  just go to the paint department & ask for"exterior" paint & give them the "color" you want.  Buy cheap brushes/rollers, & throw them away after you use them.
    Neal
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭
    SuperDeck.  
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,971 ✭✭✭✭

Sikkens brand is all I use for the deck. Oil based

• Options
    US Military GuyUS Military Guy Member Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭✭
    You put the oil on.

Let Mother Nature put the water on . . . she is going to win anyway.
  • Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭✭
    You put the oil on.

Let Mother Nature put the water on . . . she is going to win anyway.
    Best advice/observation so far. Bob
  • Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,911 ✭✭✭✭
    My neighbor, an old time farmer, mixes used oil and diesel fuel to  coat all his trailer planks, fences and the like.
  • Options
    hobo9650hobo9650 Member Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭
    Linseed oil if you want to keep the wood from rotting.

• Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Many people used ATF. It protected and gave the wood a nice pale red color.I don't think many still use it because its  rough on the envirorment and the EPA handed out a few pretty hefty fines.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,309 ******

I've never heard of a water based stain. What product were/are you considering??

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,375 ******
    I only use alcohol based stains for my gunstock work.  It is too expensive for use on fence posts!!  

My garage was built with cut rounded wood siding that somewhat resembles a log cabin.  It was stained with this very nice orangeish color that has not held up very well and it is time to give the building a new protective coat of something.  The old stain has started to peal and I have considered giving it a good sound hit with the pressure washer and then a couple coats of good exterior paint.  

I'd like to make it look good along with something that will last for a few years.    Guess this is just one of those rants that comes to mind after reading certain subjects!  :/   this is my embarrassed emjoy 
  • Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭✭
    I use Porter water based stains on my pine barn,  and it holds up well for ten or twelve years.
  • Options
    mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭

I've never heard of a water based stain. What product were/are you considering??

Check Lowe's and HD.........there are plenty of them