In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Reloading question

gruntled2gruntled2 Member Posts: 560 ✭✭✭
I know you can reload .44 Casull & .44 Magnum with .44 Special dies & .357 Maximum & .357 Magnum with .38 Special dies which causes me to wonder if I can reload 30/06 with .308 dies assuming I will be shooting them in the same bolt action rifle they were fired in?

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    Full length sizer for 308, is going to be almost 1/2 " to short for 30-06. .308 specific seater, probably also going to be to short for 30-06. Shell holder, will work though. 
  • Options
    gruntled2gruntled2 Member Posts: 560 ✭✭✭
    The point is if they are going back in the same rifle is there any need to full length resize them?
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    Being 1/2 inch shorter you will run into the bases expanding enough that it will not chamber in the rifle.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    you can 'neck size' .30/06 brass in a .308 win. die but that's about all. the shoulder angle is different as well as the should dia.
  • Options
    waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭✭

I don’t know what type of rifle your using, if it is a bolt action you can neck size, if it is automatic you will need to full length size the brass. My advise is, buy the proper die and use it, the you will have better options. My self, I use a full length sizing die and only partly size for bolt action and full length size for automatic actions.

• Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭
    As MW stated you should be able to NECK SIZE ONLY with the .308 die as long as the case neck holds the bullet tightly.  Cartridge brass is "springy" and shrinks slightly after firing.  Fired cartridges should be able to re-chamber in the same rifle they were fired in, especially a bolt action rifle.  According to my reloading manuals the .308 case neck is .003 (or slightly more) larger than the 30-06.  This could prevent a tight fit of the bullet.  A few test rounds will determine that.  Good luck.
  • Options
    jkbt1jkbt1 Member Posts: 220 ✭✭✭

Are 308 dies that expensive? Hard to find? Why even bother half assing it? Go get the correct dies for the cartridge you want to reload and be done with it.

• Options
    OkieOkie Member Posts: 991 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    If I want to neck size ONLY 30 caliber brass I have a Hornady die that is made for neck sizing only.
    It has the long tapered sizing spud so it withdraws through the die easier than a regular sizing die.
    I always chamber test brass hulls whether they are neck sized, full length sized or sized in between with a full length sizer backed off to see if they chamber ok BEFORE I add the components to make them a shell.
    You will ALWAYS find some brass hulls even from the same lot, etc, that needs little bit more sizing than others when you start chamber testing. Best to find out before they have the powder and bullet added than to find out later. 
    If you are reloading and crimping the bullets you will get some chambering surprises also from rogue brass cases. :o:o
    Bottom Line summary: Get the proper dies and eq for reloading and be ready for some surprises when you least expect such.

XXit Happens.

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    "which causes me to wonder if I can reload 30/06 with .308 dies"
    Except under extreme situations, that's a solid NO.