In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

President Trump said....about the riots

pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
"We have our military ready, willing and able"
What are your thoughts about using the military against civilians to quell the riots.
Posse Comitatus Act notwithstanding.

Comments

• Options
    mjrfd99mjrfd99 Member Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭
    That that could very well begin CW II.  
    You already have democRAT politicraps willing to use them against law abiding firearm owners. 
    Who let the lawlessness get this bad?  
    EXACTLY!
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

The National Guard is still "The Military." That would be Constitutional. The Governor's in the States involved have the authority to call them out, if they feel it is necessary. To do so would be tantamount to Political suicide for these Democratic Governors. In this case they will allow POTUS Trump to take the lead, while just recently crying about "It's Our Job, as Governor's."

Can't have it both ways. You are either in charge, or you are not.

• Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭
    A protest is one thing, a riot however is a completely different animal.
    When they "riot" and destroy property and endanger the lives of others ................... I say warn them once and then commence live fire.   You buy a ticket ............. you take your chances.
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Options
    WearyTravelerWearyTraveler Member Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭
    It’s a game of chicken.  Whoever calls out the troops is going to lose the next election over this.  But someone has to take action if this goes on for more then a few more days.
    ”People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    - GEORGE ORWELL -
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,380 ***** Forums Admin
    National guard fine( Washington's governor sent them to Seattle last night unarmed). Active military? The fuse is smoldering now. They want to blow this thing wide open, just bring in the US Army.
  • Options
    WearyTravelerWearyTraveler Member Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭
    What still amazes me is that while the police are outnumbered and the guard are carrying unloaded weapons, the rioters haven’t overrun them (other than that police station).  The rioters could easily take the guard rifles away and club them.  It would turn into a rout...
    I guess that the rioters are somewhat smart enough to realize that all he’ll would break loose if they actually did that.  
    ”People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    - GEORGE ORWELL -
  • Options
    edited May 2020

I realize that cooler heads are attempting to prevail with the "unloaded weapons," but that is just Asinine. Those M16's are probably worth $40-50K as a fully automatic weapon, on the street. The powers that be, have no right to send those young Men and Women in to Harms Way, unarmed. Unconscionable. (Perhaps they should try it, for a dose of reality.)

It should not just be National Guard, but specifically Military Police trained to deal with these situaions, without having to resort to deadly force. I will say however, there comes a time when a few people need to be shot, when and if their actions warrant it. Asking a 18-19 year old National Guard soldier to make that decision, is unwise. "Military Police." With ammunition. Do it right, or don't do it.

(And) Yes, I am speaking of National Guard Military Police, with Combat experience. NOT Active Duty Units.

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,666 ******
    It’s a state/city problem, let the states/cities handle it.
  • Options
    MrMag00MrMag00 Member Posts: 532 ✭✭✭
    Empower the law abiding to take action without fear of retribution from big government. Worked in the Philippines 
  • Options

I do agree, that a Philippine solution seems warranted here. Play Stupid games, win Stupid prizes.

It will eventually come to that type of scenario. Cave in, or do what is necessary to control Law and Order. Letting Rioters take over and burn a Police Station, while having Officers airlifted off the roof, (from what I have heard here.) Is unconscionable/unacceptable.

• Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    How would you feel about the military descending on your area locking it down, shooting people, arresting people, and basically having the street presence of a marshal law situation?   More importantly how will you react?    Just think about it.   

• Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭

I. Letting Rioters take over and burn a Police Station, while having Officers airlifted off the roof, (from what I have heard here.) Is unconscionable/unacceptable.

I am not saying it is acceptable.   I do want to make a point.  The power and position of LE in our society exist because society in general chooses to respect the position.   Officers often forget that.   A reminder that society does not have to give that respect may be a wake up call that  respect must be earned and kept by proper behavior.   
  • Options
    mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭
    Not sure how I feel about active duty military as riot control. National Guard is the preferable solution to me. Not letting them have live ammo is just wrong. 
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    The states have the authority to call in the National Guard.
    I am referring to Trump ordering the ARMY to put active-duty U.S. military police units on the ready to deploy.

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,574 ✭✭✭✭
     I would bet the organizers and  funding person(s) give strict order's do not take or use any firearm do not take a LEO or NG firearm //  as long as you do that we can burn loot and protest until the cows come home  .
     the looters / protesters  are taunting and doing there best to get another protester shot and then it will all be on the politicians and government for starting the fight . and then crap will hit the fan full blast \ 
    both sides are fully aware  of this situation . the public officials and police / national guards  will allow the crowds 
    to  do any thing to avoid it like letting them loot burn steal and the other side is fully aware of there advantage and using it to its fullest 
     my feelings protest in peace fine,  organize and hold sit ins marches with in the law  . its our right 
     but any one causing damage looting starting fires blocking highways are putting innocent people at risk  so 
     lock and load give fair warning then just have magazine dumps into the remaining looters 
    give  complete immunity against any lawsuits 

two more thought where are the arrest for not social distancing LOL  all BS 
      last  if it was groups of 2nd amendment protesting  demanding all gun laws be revoked  and doing  the same as the current protesters  looting burning destroying property in the anti-gun states and cities , well  bet your * they would have  no problem arresting and shooting any of them 
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Just like the damn zombie flu if the liberal democrat news media wasn't reporting this crap 24/7 little would be known about it out here in the real world. The lazy slugs that's sitting fires and looting on the TV news there would be very little of it going on because they wouldn't spend the energy doing it if it was not going to be on TV or the Internet. All of this can be blamed on the race baiting liberal news media and the democrats that are paying and busing in people to do the rioting. They've been chomping at the bits and just waiting for something like this to happen before the election. That's the reason you see a lot of protest signs that you know the idiots carrying them wouldn't be capable of making them. More than half of them couldn't even spell the words let alone put them in a sentence that didn't include the phrase "you know what I mean man"
  • Options
    Just like the damn zombie flu if the liberal democrat news media wasn't reporting this crap 24/7 little would be known about it out here in the real world. The lazy slugs that's sitting fires and looting on the TV news there would be very little of it going on because they wouldn't spend the energy doing it if it was not going to be on TV or the Internet. All of this can be blamed on the race baiting liberal news media and the democrats that are paying and busing in people to do the rioting. They've been chomping at the bits and just waiting for something like this to happen before the election. That's the reason you see a lot of protest signs that you know the idiots carrying them wouldn't be capable of making them. More than half of them couldn't even spell the words let alone put them in a sentence that didn't include the phrase "you know what I mean man"
    The phrase you were referring to is "do you feel me?"..........the natives no longer ask if you know what they mean.....man.
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,786 ✭✭✭✭
    Yep
    The DEMOCRAT propaganda machine in action and they are using DEMOCRAT social media to communicate and coordinate their efforts.  
    Hate spreading media poses a far greater danger to the people than the virus, looters, and the rioters. 

• Options
    spasmcreeksrunspasmcreeksrun Member Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭
    what the hell is wrong here...highways are for transportation.. a truck driver tries to do his job and deliver thru these animals and he gets stopped and beat AND THE COPS ARREST HIM.....now that is enabling this lawlessness and promoting the special class syndrome of riot loot and burn ...how stupid for a "civilized" society....try to burn my house or business supposedly because of a stupid action to one person a 1000 miles away and i would use real bullets to protect it  this has to be a deliberate action by those that want to tear down AMERICA....AND...how many of these clowns went out to behave like this after cashing their undeserved checks for CV ????
  • Options

I agree, Respect is earned by both sides. Not just one. It is reciprocal.

Respect must be "earned," it is not given out of hand, because of a uniform, badge, or color of skin.

I will also say - when you are in charge, (Governors?) Be in charge. (Most of you were recently whining about the fact that you were indeed "In Charge.") As was often said in the Army, "Lead, Follow, or get the Hell out of the way."

Do your job, or step down. Letting Rioters run amok is NOT doing your job.

• Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭✭

I agree, Respect is earned by both sides. Not just one. It is reciprocal.

Respect must be "earned," it is not given out of hand, because of a uniform, badge, or color of skin.

I will also say - when you are in charge, (Governors?) Be in charge. (Most of you were recently whining about the fact that you were indeed "In Charge.") As was often said in the Army, "Lead, Follow, or get the Hell out of the way."

Do your job, or step down. Letting Rioters run amok is NOT doing your job.

I agree 100%. Also respect is not earned by creating a fear of violence by either side. Bob
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    In my youth, I spent some of my time in the military at Ft Sam Houston.  My company was selected for guard duty on weekends.  We were issued M14 rifles, but no ammo.  We were told to use our rifle as a club, if needed.  One of our guys was accosted by a local gang, who beat him & stole his rifle.  All of us agreed to hand over our rifles in the future, rather than take a beating for stupid officers.  But, it didn't happen again.  Then as now, criminals rarely want to carry a 10 lb rifle rather than a light, easily concealable, pistol.
    Neal
  • Options

nmyers, I was going to share an incident that happened towards the end of Basic Training, but decided not to. With your post, I will share my experience.

We were required to pull Guard Duty on a few remote sites, armed with M16's without ammunition overnight. One of our teams was surprised at shotgun point, and relieved of their M16's. This was Ft. Leonard Wood, MO. In Jan. 1980.

I came away from that, realizing how STUPID it was to deploy troops with weapons but no ammunition.

• Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    This is the kind of stuff the sick society politicians, media and their kind sweep under the rug as soon as the riots go away, while demonizing white groups as terrorists 24/7.  Seattleites among the worst.
    What's next?
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    The National Guard at Kent State wasn’t supposed to have ammunition either. Remember how that turned out? Four kids dead for no reason and still no resolution. Swept under the rug. 

What’s wrong with using water cannons on the rioters? No firearms necessary, just a bashing stream of water to clear the streets of rioters. Seems simple to me...

Best.
  • Options
    smartoldguysmartoldguy Member Posts: 47 ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I don't think Trump can take the initiative on the use of the military without the consent of the Governors and/or State Legislatures.  I presume he could move assets around to facilitate.  I suppose Trump could declare an emergency and try to pre-empt the Governors but I think he'd be either in a legal gray zone or out-of-bounds  -- especially if Congress were not to concur, and doubly so if the Governors were to object.  His only viable choice IMO is to wait for the Governors to act/request action and/or for Congress to act.  Not a legal scholar.  Could be wrong.  But IIRC the Posse Comitatus Act is the correct point of reference.
  • Options
    nmyers said:
    In my youth, I spent some of my time in the military at Ft Sam Houston.  My company was selected for guard duty on weekends.  We were issued M14 rifles, but no ammo.  We were told to use our rifle as a club, if needed.  One of our guys was accosted by a local gang, who beat him & stole his rifle.  All of us agreed to hand over our rifles in the future, rather than take a beating for stupid officers.  But, it didn't happen again.  Then as now, criminals rarely want to carry a 10 lb rifle rather than a light, easily concealable, pistol.
    Neal
    LOL......I was stationed in Panama in the year before we nabbed Noriega in "Just Cause". I was in a MEDDAC unit so we had to pull guard duty around Gorgas hospital in downtown Panama City. To top it off......Gorgas sits on the edge of the red light district. We were actually given baseball bats to do guard duty with.
  • Options

I'd much rather have a baseball bat to defend myself, than an unloaded M16. Not to mention the target on your back with the unfriendlies realizing you have an unloaded automatic weapon.

That must have been uncomfortable duty in Panama, leading up to Operation Just Cause Mohawk. Thank you for your Service Sir.

• Options

I'd much rather have a baseball bat to defend myself, than an unloaded M16. Not to mention the target on your back with the unfriendlies realizing you have an unloaded automatic weapon.

That must have been uncomfortable duty in Panama, leading up to Operation Just Cause Mohawk. Thank you for your Service Sir.

You're welcome.......and yes it was. I was barracked in Corozal across from the Miraflores locks. My building was closest to the gate on the left side looking out. We knew some * was about to happen when they built machine gun positions on each side of the compound gate and then sandbagged the stairwells on each floor of the corner of our building facing the gate.
  • Options
     A very bad idea.
    What's next?
  • Options
    nmyers said:
    Neal
    They would have likely been drilled in my regiment.  There would have been a burial, and the guard might well have been fined for the cost of the round(s) and transferred to another command.  We were always locked and loaded when on guard duty and primed for any unexpected visitor.
    What's next?
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,309 ******
    National guard fine( Washington's governor sent them to Seattle last night unarmed). Active military? The fuse is smoldering now. They want to blow this thing wide open, just bring in the US Army.

If Trump, the Commander in Chief, orders the military to fire on civilians armed with rocks, what will you do?

Don’t answer here. Answer in your heart, and be ready to hold yourself accountable.

“These are the times that try men’s souls...”

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    DaveH196803DaveH196803 Member Posts: 41
    Quite frankly, if you throw a rock at an armed representative of the government trying to keep the peace, be it a LEO, a national guardsman, or a soldier, you should expect a forceful response, and it'd be justified. A rock to the head can kill as quickly as anything else. 
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,432 ✭✭✭✭
    At the time of 9/11 the Indy airport had NG troops stationed.  Their rifles we found out were unloaded.  I couldn't believe it.  A few years later I took my first trip to Europe (Salzburg Austria).  When I landed in Munich I was by two uniformed officers that were polite but all business.  They wanted to know where I was from, where I was going, and what my business was there. They both were carrying beautiful HK's that I'm sure were loaded.  After my 10 day visit I went through security at Munich and on my way to the gate I had to go up an escalator and go through a second security check.  I was impressed.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,953 ✭✭✭✭
    Anything to divert attention from his administrations mishandling of Covid 19.
This discussion has been closed.