In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Pepper Spray or Mace

dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
edited May 2020 in General Discussion
Got a couple of girls asking about pepper spray or mace.  Not exactly my subject, all I think I know is that gel with propellant is best.  Any suggestions on what's best to use, purse sized?  They won't CCW, not an option.

Edit: If anyone has a brand or model that would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,661 ******
    I have been in bars where the bouncers Macedonia a belligerent and got some of it myself.
    I would think pepper spray would  be more effective.
  • Options
    ChrisStreettChrisStreett Member Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭

Pepper spray, hands down. Now, if ya had some of the old CN gas (Not CS, that’s too tame) you’d have something.

"...dying ain't much of a living boy"-Josey Wales
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    I can name a couple of products, that I bought years ago. We had a rouge bear, maul a women in the county. 
    #1, Frontiersman, "Bear Attack Deterrent". Large 8" round aluminum container.
    #2, Kimber, "Pepper Blaster II", Made in Switzerland. Small, size of a pocket pistol. This would be much better for a women's purse.
  • Options
    grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭
    My LGS carries that Kimber Pepper blaster. About the size of a small 25 auto. The only problem is that it is shaped somewhat like a pistol.  They are brightly colored, but so are some pocket guns. I'd hate to pull it out and get shot for my trouble.
    In an office setting, a can of wasp and hornet spray could deter almost any attacker.
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,059 ✭✭✭✭
    Civillians can buy Pepper but not Mace (the brand yes but not Mace). If it's gonna live in a purse and not in the hand why bother. Tell them to save the cash. That goes double for stun guns.
  • Options
    discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭
    if you are gonna use pepper spray,  go BIG and use BEAR SPRAY.  longer range  more potent
  • Options
    chmechme Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭
    Bear spray has greater range, but has a lower percentage of OC than self defense spray.  Bears are more sensitive than peoples. 

The EPA limits bear spray to 2%.  People spray is up to 10%.   
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,181 ✭✭✭✭
    chme said:
    Bear spray has greater range, but has a lower percentage of OC than self defense spray.  Bears are more sensitive than peoples. 

The EPA limits bear spray to 2%.  People spray is up to 10%.   
    I've got to ask, did the bears tell the EPA that they're more sensitive than people and that 2% was enough for them  :D

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    I would think bear spray would be the best. Anything that can stop a 1,300 lb. Grizzly from charging has to be pretty dang good.  
  • Options
    chmechme Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭
    That bear spray will not stop a blue jay.  Birds have no capsaicin receptor   Point is- critters is different.  What works on one has no effect on others.  And yeah, think the bears were part of a focus group on "what we like and don't"
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,282 ******
    All y'all recommending bear spray are encouraging violation of federal law. That's pretty careless.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,059 ✭✭✭✭
    All y'all recommending bear spray are encouraging violation of federal law. That's pretty careless.

At least I didn't recommend Wasp Spray.
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020

I bet he's really gonna hate it, when i throw bleach in his face. Doh.......................is that not allowed?

Is there a list of chemicals we are NOT allowed to use on the bad guys?

Sorry, I didn't read that one.

• Options
    gruntled2gruntled2 Member Posts: 560 ✭✭✭
    You want to be sure it comes out in a stream not a spray. I guess it was the nozzle but the dog spray the Post Office gave us came both ways. I would throw away the ones that came out in a spray. To be effective you had to hit the eyes, I've hit them in the mouth & they seemed to like it. 
  • Options

And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭
    i don't know about you guys...........but when defending myself.........my very last consideration would be federal labelling of acceptable use. I would use the most expedient thing available.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    gruntled2 said:
    You want to be sure it comes out in a stream not a spray. I guess it was the nozzle but the dog spray the Post Office gave us came both ways. I would throw away the ones that came out in a spray. To be effective you had to hit the eyes, I've hit them in the mouth & they seemed to like it. 

That's what I'm looking for - stream gel type.  Kind of like that foam string stuff.

Re the bear spray - didn't know about the lower dose.  Good to know.

• Options
    mohawk600 said:
    i don't know about you guys...........but when defending myself.........my very last consideration would be federal labelling of acceptable use. I would use the most expedient thing available.

It's one thing to use it as a last ditch resort, but to plan in advance... that's problematic.
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭

The whole internet is fake.

• Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Not planning anything in advance. I do however have a pretty decent knowledge of the effectiveness of various items. I would have no problem employing the most effective thing within reach, if the situation warranted it.

Was only trying to make a point.

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    I always used Mace Brand sprays when in LE, never had a malfunction, regardless of age/expiration date.  I've never seen any woman who was in trouble who was able to get inside her purse in time.  And, key-ring size sprays are usually too weak to resist even the slightest breeze.  If you don't have the LE size, & it isn't in your pocket/belt with your hand on it, spray won't do you any good.
    And, of course, crack heads & psychotics may be resistant to sprays.
    Neal

• Options
    OkieOkie Member Posts: 991 ✭✭✭
    Having it and not needing it is better than needing it and not having it. (even if it's in a purse)

Sometimes a woman can just sense when she needs (or may need) a defense. (similar to a Doe deer that can just sense danger of a hunter being in the woods)

• Options
    Aztngundoc22Aztngundoc22 Member Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭
    OK : 
    After apx. 25 years of law enforcement : Buy Freeze +P :::::
    It really works !!!
    Thanks !!!
    The more people I meet : The more I like my Dog :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I Grew Old Too Fast (And Smart Too damn Slow !!!) !!! :o :?
  • Options
    Bottom GunBottom Gun Member Posts: 232 ✭✭
    17% is available from Streetwise.
    Mechanical engineers have their moments.
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭✭
    I got maced in a bar in Gulfport Ms. about 1971.The security guard was not trying to mace me but I was too close to the person that was the target so I got a dose of it too. A couple of days later the side of my face peeled like after a bad sunburn.I don't know if it was mace or pepper spray but it did do the job.
  • Options
    mjrfd99mjrfd99 Member Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭
    chme said:
    That bear spray will not stop a blue jay.  Birds have no capsaicin receptor   Point is- critters is different.  What works on one has no effect on others.  And yeah, think the bears were part of a focus group on "what we like and don't"
    Works good on the most likely targets. When PD gave the "Binaca blast" in the breathing holes almost all went down FAST
    That's what counts.
    Sadly we had to treat them kindly afterwards.   
  • Options
    shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,241 ✭✭✭✭
    Why is this even a debate?  The question is the same as should I use a Kleenex or a nose tissue, it is the same thing, one (Mace) is a brand name of "pepper spray" and pepper spray is just that, it could be Mace, Ruger, Kimber Pepperblaster, Bulldog, etc.

They all are available in various sizes, configurations, consistencies(foam, gel, spray, etc) and strengths of Oleoresin Capsicum (OC), sometimes with other added things such as dye and tear gas and have various delivery devices but Mace is pretty much the same product as all the other brands on the market.

As for the Bear spray talk, I'm sure it would be plenty effective but the canisters of it are huge and not easily concealed compared to the many other options available.  While it is true that they may have a lower OC content they also are dispersing much higher volume in a shorter time. 

My top seller, as is my wifes top seller at her store are the Mace brand dispensers that look like lipstick canisters, many places you might need it have security searches looking through womens purses and they don't pay any attention to them whereas a regular pepper spray canister would be confiscated most likely.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    It's also less effective.  OC Spray has a higher percentage of capsicum.  
  • Options
    When I think of mace, this is what I think of (far more effective than pepper spray too, IMO)

And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain