In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Lake Ontario

westernMDhunterwesternMDhunter Member Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
Anyone ever fish Lake Ontario? In my quest to fish all the Great Lakes before I die, this year brings me to Lake Ontario beginning Monday. If anyone fishes it what is the main species to target this time of year? I’m hoping to hook into a huge Lake or Brown trout that leaves me exhausted after fighting it for a prolonged time. Not sure that will happen but my hopes are high for a big un’. 

Comments

• Options
    gjshawgjshaw Member Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭

I have fished it for salmon a few times.

• Options
    gjshaw said:

I have fished it for salmon a few times.

What month did you usually go? Catch any with some size to them? I’m not sure if June is the best time to fish up there but it’s the only time off I have until late October.
  • Options
    edited June 2020

I fished salmon in July and august in tournaments. They were deep. Tournaments paid up to 100,000 dollars so it was worth it. The biggest I caught was over 40 lbs.

• Options

In September and October they are running from the lake to the streams to breed, lay their eggs and die. You can catch them with waders.

• Options
    gjshaw said:

I fished salmon in July in tournaments. They were deep. Tournaments paid up to 100,000 dollars so it was worth it. The biggest I caught was over 40 lbs.

I’m not setting my expectations that high, wow 40 pounds very nice. Did that one put up a nice long fight? I’m pretty dang excited about fishing it.
  • Options

40 lb fish put up a good fight. I hear that they are catching 50+ pounders now. Many local guides to take you out where they are.

• Options
    gjshaw said:

In September and October they are running from the lake to the streams to breed, lay their eggs and die. You can catch them with waders.

There are some guys from work that fish Oak Orchard that time of year and they try to get me to go every year to fish the stream but I can’t do it. They have never fished the lake itself so they can’t help me out on fishing it.
  • Options
    gjshaw said:

40 lb fish put up a good fight. I hear that they are catching 50+ pounders now. Many local guides to take you out where they are.

Do you happen to know of any local guides that you would recommend?
  • Options
    edited June 2020

I lived in upstate ny and worked third shift so I would get out of work in the morning and drive north about an hour and half to pulaski New York and salmon fish for a few hours then drive home , take a nap and go to work again. I was younger And a lot better shape than I am now.

• Options

I can’t help you with local guides now as I moved to Florida 20 years ago.

• Options
    I’ve been on third shift for over 16 years now. The first 12 years was easy to get off from work and hit the woods or the local lakes, come home take a nap and hit the woods for the evening. Those days are long gone, now I’m ready for bed as soon as I get home and don’t feel like doing much when I wake up.
  • Options

I’ve worked third shift over 40 years total and know exactly what your saying about getting out of work and going to bed ASAP. I worked for Bendix Corp in Sidney NY for 15 years on third and now I’ve worked almost 25 years for Disney on third. I’ve enjoyed this furloughed time off. I am going fishing this Friday out of crystal river Fl for gag grouper and Cobia on a private charter.

• Options
    Good luck fishing Friday, hope you catch some fish. If I catch a nice one next week on Ontario I’ll post a picture for you.
  • Options
    edited June 2020

Good luck fishing. You won’t have any problems finding a guide to take you out fishing and hook you up. I too will post pictures if I catch any.

• Options
    Beagler410Beagler410 Member Posts: 22
    Although I live on Lake Erie, I go to the big O a few times per year.  Of all the fish there, I like the kings the best.  The browns are beautiful and taste good.  Lakers and Atlantics are neat because they are native to the lake.  Steelhead are jumpers, but we have lots of them on lake Erie.  

I'll be up in a few weeks and expect most of the fish to be in ~200 fow.  Usually in the top 80 or so feet.
    Good luck in your trip.  Feel free to PM if you have any specific questions....
  • Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    In my experience fishing for Lake Trout in Lk Michigan, they don't put up a fight for every long.  But they taste great!   It sounds like Lk Ontario offers the same fish as Lk Michigan; Lakers, Browns, rainbow, Chinook Salmon.    Down riggers, cannon ball and fish finder heaven.    The lake levels of all the Great Lakes is up and expected to be at record levels this year.  No idea what that will do to the fishing, but it probably wouldn't  affect the type of fish you are after, since they are the deep water variety.  
  • Options
    ltcdotyltcdoty Member Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭
    Lakers and Browns..
  • Options

Biggest fish so far has been a 14.9 pound brown trout. 28 inches long 20 inch girth.

• Options
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options

Great looking trout

• Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,358 ***** Forums Admin