In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Comments

• kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
     :) 
    What's next?
  • Mark GMark G Member Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭
    Do you think you could use it to buy tickets to a NASCAR race?
  • Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    Back in the 50s there was still a lot of Confederate money still around where I lived in Tennessee. I wish I had kept some of it. 
  • Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,455 ✭✭✭✭
     lots  of it use to be floating around I would wager lots was burned or just tossed as it was more of a keepsake curiosity for many years  
     the coins were always a different story they were always rare 
  • BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,280 ******
    My late uncle had a small suit case full of Confederate paper money.  He always joked it wasn't even worth its weight in wallpaper.    He let me take a fair stack of it to school for show & tell when I was in the 4th grade.  Helped me get an A in History!  
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,121 ✭✭✭✭
    Brookwood said:
    My late uncle had a small suit case full of Confederate paper money.  He always joked it wasn't even worth its weight in wallpaper.    He let me take a fair stack of it to school for show & tell when I was in the 4th grade.  Helped me get an A in History!  
    did you bribe the teacher with it???????????
  • CoolhandLukeCoolhandLuke Member Posts: 7,825 ✭✭✭
    A few years ago I bought several Confederate bills for song and dance compared to todays prices, it was closing time at a gun show and I guess the seller didn't want to take them back home, they range from 10 to 100 and the paper and print are of very hi quality.   
    We have to fight so we can run away.
    Capt. Jack Sparrow.
  • chmechme Member Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭✭
    I have 3 confederate bills, framed and matted, hanging in my office.  Been in my family since 1865.  One of my ancestors was a corporal, made it to Appomattox. The bills were his mustering out pay.    
  • Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    I have an 1864 store token penny. Never seen confederate currency in person.
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I have 10 bills that one of my great-uncles gave me many years ago. Hope some SJW doesn't decide to try and burn them.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • gruntled2gruntled2 Member Posts: 560 ✭✭✭
    I sold my collection about twenty years ago that included all but six of the basic types. If you really want to see some good prices look up the Type 1, 2 , 3 & 4 types. Even twenty years ago they were well over a thousand Dollars each in low grades.
    Of course the low grades were even more scarce than the high grades. Back then I also sold off my collection of large size U.S. currency & fractional currency. In two days at the Long Beach coin show I got over ten thousand dollars.
    I was worried at the time that it would soon become too easy to copy the paper money & that would destroy the value especially since the Confederate money was on such poor grade paper. I am still surprised that hasn't happened.
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Sitting here reminiscing about my hometown of Beaumont, Texas, and finding a canning jar with Confederate money in it back in 1952/3(?).  At this time I was visiting my sister who lived on Railroad Avenue.  Beaumont was really a small place back just before the War Between the States...population 151 back then.  Back then the street would have had to have been rather short in length.  Anyway...the street was fronted by a railroad, and behind the house she lived in was a dirt alley...and across from it there was a melon field(?)...not cantaloupes, but about the same size and not as popular.

I was playing with a friend the day that I spied the top edge of the subject canning jar.  The day was sunny, but the ground was soaked from a heavy rain which is so common for the area.  A heavy truck had made a run through the alleyway and the mud pushed up from the outside of its wheels had uncovered a jar that had been buried, perhaps, since about 1865.  My friend saw me holding the top edge of the jar and digging it out from the mud.  Inside were Confederate paper bills and coins.  The bills had been double folded before the jar had been shut and buried.  I wonder now, who this money might have belonged to...a young mother, a grandmother.  Whoever it was, they were not rich...but it might have held about a year's wages...I forget just how much it was as the time since then has really fogged the memory.   I'd like to get the address where my Sis lived...and maybe begin a search for the folks that lived near that corner address.  I wonder now who these people were.

Like I said, that day was sunny.  My friend and I had been running, wrestling, and such when we found the money.  I was faster than he was back then...but many years later, he came in second place in the Texas high school relays in the 220 and 440, being edged out by the same racer.

Those are some good memories.

What's next?