In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Woodstove/Chimney Solution -

KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in General Discussion

Going High end. Replacing my "20% efficiency" Fisher Granpa model for a high end Pacific Energy insert. 86% efficiency, automatic damper and dual blowers. 99,000BTU/cord of wood. Rated for a 2800sq. ft. home. Mine is 1200 sq ft. "Your Heat pump will never click on."

$2995 for insert/woodstove, $1175 for SS liner, $250 for cleaning Chimney, and $650 labor. $400 tax.

$5400 total. Decided to do it right. It will pay for itself in short order.

Fisher for sale for $400. You pick up. 😁

Comments

• BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,280 ******
    Ehhh…...how much is that going to cost you Ken?  
  • KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

I am pleased with what is taking place. I was shocked at how much **** was in the fire box when we pulled my Woodstove and steel insert out to inspect. Major fire waiting to happen.

I am happy I am spending the $" for this endeavor.

Much better than a low efficiency woodstove, and my house burning down.

• montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,893 ******
    Good for you Ken.  5400 is quite a chunk, but for all you're getting I think you're getting a good deal.  I agree it will pay itself back in short order.  Be sure to keep it cleaned and serviced.  Enjoy!!  Well not today, but you know,,,,
  • Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    You are not too far off of the cost of a good outside wood furnace with a heat exchanger piped into the house. No smoke, no fuss, no muss.
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    That’s true, but most outdoor wood burners are very inefficient.
  • JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭✭
    Very true, takes about 3 times as much wood to heat the house as an efficient boiler in the basement.
  • montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,893 ******
    There aint no outdoor unit gonna replace the ambience of a wood stove in the house. 

Wasn't going to do so much, but once we started discussing how inefficient my Fisher was (no baffles, no blowers, 80% of your heat is going up the chimney etc.) and they were going to be here doing the SS insert anyway, i figured WTH. Might as well do it right, and finally be warm in the house without all the little electric heaters going all over the place. Once I started looking at the woodstoves they had and the efficiency ratings and them comparing my old woostove to a muscle car. "Everyone wants one, but not to use everyday. New cars are much more efficient."

My utility bill is averaged for the year at $115/mo. I was seeing electric bills of up to $224 in the witertime before going avg. billing. Never really warm in the house. I am hoping I will save about $750/year plus on my utility bill. (And be warm.) The glass front will be a huge plus. I love looking at a fire.

I like that they throughly pack insulation around the SS pipe full length to keep the heat in the pipe. Etc. Lot's of nice touches (sp?) I've had stoves similar to what i am installing up north, much mo betta.

• allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭

We love the Jotul wood stove and so does the dog.  This is the Jotul Oslo, it is 5 years old.
    Beautiful view of the fire box and a very efficient stove.  We burn it quite a lot.
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,121 ✭✭✭✭
    looks like you woke that dog up allen, and she ain't happy, can just hear her saying put that camera down and let me get back to sleep..........
    You are right.  The Mutt, Daisy, likes to be the center of attention, but, she does not like for you to talk about her and she does not like to get her picture taken.
    edited June 2020

I also realized before they got here, that there is a steel damper/door on a hinge that you close, up inside the chimney, so it was not going to be a straightforward up and out routing of the SS pipe. A little more complicated than that.

One thing that is bugging me. One guy was showing me all the different stove models and options on each one, (and all the various prices, even on the same model with different options/trim etc.) while the guy behind me was writing up my work order and prices based on my responses.

Lots of different stoves and options on each one. (Prices.) I could have sworn the guy that was showing me the stove model and various prices said my unit in that particular configuration would be $2800. When I looked at the write up (work order) the stove I chose was listed at $2995. I figured I must have just confused all the various stove and options on each and the price. (But) The more I though about it overnight, the more I was convinced about the $2800 price. $195 difference. Worth bringing it up? Or just mark it down to my not remembering correctly?

It was all very cordial, no pressure and the two guys and I seemed to connect. I do not want to sour the install. I am leaning towards just letting it slide.

Looking closer at the brochure there is also various different surround plates depending on the size your particular fireplace opening is. Looking at it it appears I have to go for the oversive surround plate as my fireplace is quite large. They were doing different measuring and throwing dimensions back and forth to each other. That could be the $195 difference. Door trim/color etc. Not worth souring a good raport.

Do you remember (if you care to share,) what you paid for the Jotul Allen?

Is that a blower I see underneath and behind the unit? My unit (the Pacific Energy) is similar to units I have had up north. A box inside another box, where blowers force air through the chamber to send it out back into the house/room. Does the Jotul have that as well?

• BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    Ken I think you will be much happier with the new setup. One question - you said you have an almost 3 story peaked ceiling and I was wondering if you have a ceiling fan to get all that warm air back down to the living area? If not, you might want to look into one and if so - never mind. Bob

Yes Bob, I have a nice Hunter unit on a cross beam at the 1 story level. I close the doors on the two upstairs bedrooms, in the winter, but it still gets up to the 3rd level loft bedroom accessed via a ladder. The fan, (granted) would be more efficient higher up, perhaps I will add that to the ever growing home to do list. 😥

If I was smarter, I would probably move in to one of the 2nd story bedrooms in the winter. (But) The bathroom is on the 1st level. 😉

I believe this new unit, will make a night/day difference in the comfort level of my house. Not to mention not having to get up couple times a night to re-load the woodstove. They claim this unit will burn 12 hours on a good load of hardwood.

Hey, Looking up at the 3rd level railing on that loft bedroom, i can probably lean a box fan on low angled down to shoot the warm air back down to the living room. Eureka!

Wiley Coyote, Super Genious. (Or) DA for not having realized that quite some time ago.

• BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    I figured you already had a ceiling fan but thought I should mention it just in case. Our house has a second story over just a third of the house. Just a couple of bedrooms that Judy turned into her sewing and quilting rooms. It is little warmer than she likes both in the winter and summer. If I was smart I would put in another return air duct near the ceiling up there to circulate the air better. Bob
    The Jotul Oslo does not use a fan.  There is a 3 gallon water pot on top of the stove to put moisture back into the room, because a wood stove will dry your house out.
    I paid $2500 four years ago.  They were asking $2800 and I talked them down.  It is like buying a car, the price is negotiable.
    I would call them to task for the little $200 "price change."

You have a complicated install I still suggest you go to hearth.com to get the info from the real wood stove gear heads.
  • Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭✭
    Instead of trying to force the hot air down, pull the cool air up so it will mix with the hot air & bring it down. This is what the ceiling fan instructions recommends. A friend in the HV/AC business ran a duct up to the peak with an in-line fan to do this. 
  • BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,280 ******
    Sounds like you will be living in comfort with your new stove Ken!   I really miss not burning wood for mostly the relaxing ambiance a natural fire generates. I also used to enjoy cooking the old school way with wood.  I do have a propane gas log fireplace in my finished basement but it is far from the real deal.

However, getting old and dealing with the labors, along with the messes of firewood have made my current decisions valid.  Oh, and another biggy for me in my area were the extra home owners insurance costs for wood heating systems.