In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

How can a trip to the local drag strip

armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
nearly be a total waste. It was labeled Mopars against the World so it being on Fathers Day and a Mopar guy I thought it might be worth the trip. Boy was I wrong, its pretty sad when the third fastest vehicle at the track was a snow mobile. The two fastest cars were front engined Chrysler powered dragsters that ran mid 7 second 170 MPH in the quarter mile. The snow mobile ran a couple of mid 8 second passes at a 150 MPH.  I think the next 2 fastest cars were a couple of early 70's Novas one running in the low 9's and another in the low 10's. I took a camera along hoping to take some pictures and I never even took it out of the car. There was a lot of dead time. I can't believe I sat through that for nearly 4 hours. Then I go home and nearly get shot. ( See the flag pole thread)

Comments

• Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,748 ✭✭✭✭

Was you at? Byron? or,

• Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    What did you expect from a MOPAR event?
    M ostly
    O ld
    P arts
    A nd
    R ust.
  • Options
    hobo9650hobo9650 Member Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭
    We run  on the 1/8th and 7 sec is sloooow.  

Best we have run is 6:04 without assist air, just the puter.  We don't try for max speed, we try to be consistent.
  • Options
    If I understand today's drag race world, speed is second to consistency. Break out of your bracket and you done for the day.
    Back many many moons ago it was run what you brung and whoever crossed the finish line first won the race.
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    The 2018 Dodge Demon ran 9.54 second quarters off the show room floor. Those guys need to have their tools confiscated and made to buy something from the dealer to run in the future. 

Dodge Demon Specs:
    • Horsepower: 840 hp (on race gas)
    • Torque: 770 lb-ft.
    • 0-60 MPH: 2.1 Seconds.
    • 0-200 MPH: 55 Seconds.
    • 60-0 Braking: 97 ft.
    • 1/4 Mile: 9.54 Seconds @ 140 MPH.
    • Top Speed: 203 MPH.
    • Weight: 4,280 lbs. including the air-conditioner 
  • Options
    US Military GuyUS Military Guy Member Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭✭
    Butchdog2 said:
    If I understand today's drag race world, speed is second to consistency. Break out of your bracket and you done for the day.
    Back many many moons ago it was run what you brung and whoever crossed the finish line first won the race.
    That is the way we used to do it way . . . and I mean WAY . . . back when.

I ran a '71 'Cuda that had been "modified".  I don't even remember what my times were it was so long ago - late '70s.  Anyway we ran an 1/8th mile and you bracketed what time you were going to run.  They ran everything on the track at the same time. 

You haven't raced until you are up against an alcohol burning funny car in your daily "drive it to work" car.  Yea, that kind with the lift off fiberglass body on top of a custom built "race car" with a blower and an engine half the size of the whole front of your car.  You both would pull up at the lights.  Since you were running your street car and he was running a hot block, you tried to stage as quick as you could to help keep him from overheating. 

Of course you got your light first since you were going to take a whole lot longer to get to the finish line.  You left the line just like you always planned on and he just sat there until he got his green light.  You were probably half way to the finish line before he got his light.

I know . . . you really should not look in your review mirror when you are racing . . . but has anybody seen a full blown funny car catching up to them when they were going as fast as they could?  Yea, it is pretty impressive. 

About the only way you could win that race is if he "broke out" and ran faster than he said he would.  Pretty cool concept . . . winning a race after getting beat to the finish line.  Consistency worked for me back in those days.
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,562 ✭✭✭✭
     I miss the old local drag strip it went away many years ago now its about a 50 mile one way trip to the merest one for me 
     I spent a lot of weekends racing and watching 
    still have one of  my old 69 Camaro's  it made a few trips down the track but it was more a street car low 12's 
        I had a 68 camaro  at the time just a race car it was stripped to a bare shell one seat and roll bars 468 turbo 400 5:13  gears 15x32 slicks  but I only had it to the track a few times by then the local place had shut down and just too far to the track ( I had a trailer of course ) ir was a high 10 second car ,  I sure it could have been better but never got the time and money to work out the bugs after just a couple trips I sold it . 

I remember the old race track they had bracket races , and  serious a old 6 cyl  4 door maverick  called the water works because it had belonged to the city and still had water works decals  on it LOL
     and a old station wagon both ran the quarter in just under 20 seconds , but consistent  so many cars many broke out ( of there register time )  trying to catch them 
    they won but were the most hated cars LOL 

oh my first true love  ;)  I was about 13 years old I saw at the track and still want one it was a 55 chevy gasser ( most all you old  car guys will know )  straight axle tilt front  BBC with a tunnel ram two holleys on top had  ladder bars that looked they went all the way to the front axle ..  dark green car with  tinted windows ( guessing Plexiglas ) 
  • Options
    badchrisbadchris Member Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭

I just go for the backup girls...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5vomUOFLvDc

Enemies of armed self-defense focus on the gun. They ignore the person protected with that gun.
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,661 ******
    About halfway through the video I realized there are race cars in it.
  • Options
    One of my employees ran Maverick back in the day. 302 maybe? ran 1/8 mile and won lots of races.
    Last name is Horney, Announcer would say its "Horney all the way down the track". Yikes.

• Options
    gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭
    Miss Hurst / Linda Vaughn   c. 1970s

It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
  • Options
    gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Once upon a time at Atco Racway
    '64 Ford Galaxy, 427cid, 2 Holley double pumpers on an Offy tunnel ram ! B)
    It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
  • Options
    Wild TurkeyWild Turkey Member Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭✭
    Friend of my ran an early '50's Pontiac  with a SBC at the 1/4 mile track at Amarillo.  Built it to run in Modified Production.
    First outing got beat badly but they weren't surprised -- they hadn't weighed it and were at the heavy end of B class, racing against some lighter cars.
    Went home and got to thinking -- MP class rules didn't allow ballast so they were trying to find a way to add some weight.
    They kept talking and decided that they needed traction bars but that would only make the car heavier.
    Then they had the inspiration that saved the day --Rules didn't say what you had to use to make the traction bars -- and they had some 1/2" plate laying around.
    Next outing was much much better -- they were the lightest car in "C" class and commenced to out run everyone!

• Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,837 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020

I need to take my boys to check out some drag racing.

If you go far enough back in GB Im sure there are tales of my efforts with my 66 Barracuda.

My Ducati I have taken to the strip maybe a dozen times. Best I have ran is 10.10 @131 but with a pro it is is supposed to turn 9.90 right off the showroom floor. It is really tough to launch hard & keep the front end down.

It will take your breath away that’s for sure.

• Options
    badchrisbadchris Member Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    I'm lucky to live within an hour of two 1/4 mile strips and another one about 2 hours away. When I was young, I raced my stock Honda Interceptor frequently. Now I just run my daily driver in index races. It's a good ratio of bang/buck at $20-25 entry fee.
    Enemies of armed self-defense focus on the gun. They ignore the person protected with that gun.
  • Options
    edited June 2020

Was you at? Byron? or,

Great Lakes Drag O Way, Don't even know if Byron is open. Their having problems  and the track is for sale. They usually run the big gasser meet in July and they didn't even run it last year.

• Options
    hobo9650 said:
    We run  on the 1/8th and 7 sec is sloooow.  

Best we have run is 6:04 without assist air, just the puter.  We don't try for max speed, we try to be consistent.
    These were all 1/4 mile times.
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    Butchdog2 said:
    What did you expect from a MOPAR event?
    M ostly
    O ld
    P arts
    A nd
    R ust.
    All except that Hot Rod Lincoln!:   :)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcCj4ogE-m8

What's next?
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,748 ✭✭✭✭
    armilite said:

Was you at? Byron? or,

Great Lakes Drag O Way, Don't even know if Byron is open. Their having problems  and the track is for sale. They usually run the big gasser meet in July and they didn't even run it last year.

I ran a LOT there in the 70's when Ron Leek ran it. I believe he has passed. We had some HUGE events like the Bracketnationals with a 5k payout to first. Had to run 11.99 and under to get in which I did. That track in the day was awesome. They had top fuel, pro stock and all at least once a year and all the big names came in. CHA- CHA looked real good in person at the time.  
  • Options
    owlesowles Member Posts: 100 ✭✭
  • Options
      as for back up ladies back in the day  jungle Pam ( jungle Jim's gal   and of course Linda  V. would be a  good points race   :)  between them 

wife and I  took both my sons when they were very young to a few drag race events ( along with monster trucks mud trucks tractor pulls ) now they chew my butt for allowing them to  watch the jet cars and top fuel  cars with out giving them hearing protection  :'( ( back then what was that )      

• Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Somebody's gonna get an eye poked out there.

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,177 ✭✭✭✭

Somebody's gonna get an eye poked out there.

that was back in the day, if she is still around, she is probubly sitting on them now.............
  • Options

she is still with us 

So, what is Jungle Pam Hardy doing now? Hardy lives a quiet and “normal” life since leaving the limelight of the drag racing scene. All the while, however, she has done her best to keep the groovy memory of Jungle Jim Liberman and that era alive. She continues to make media and National Hot Rod Association (NHRA) appearances signing autographs.  Currently, Hardy hosts a Facebook page and website dedicated to the memory of the sport of drag racing as it was back in those mid-'70s glory days.
  • Options

she is still with us 

So, what is Jungle Pam Hardy doing now? Hardy lives a quiet and “normal” life since leaving the limelight of the drag racing scene. All the while, however, she has done her best to keep the groovy memory of Jungle Jim Liberman and that era alive. She continues to make media and National Hot Rod Association (NHRA) appearances signing autographs.  Currently, Hardy hosts a Facebook page and website dedicated to the memory of the sport of drag racing as it was back in those mid-'70s glory days.
    Yep Jungle Jim left us way to soon, it must have been pretty hard on Pam.
  • Options
    owlesowles Member Posts: 100 ✭✭

My heart goes out to the people of Pontiac and the beautiful 67 Firebird 326 ( le mans 400 and sun roof. ) The Trans AM 440 T-top, the problem started with DMV not knowing the date of production ... flighty with two priors?

Datson 240z