In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Shameless M1 Garand Plug

mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
edited June 2020 in General Discussion
 I am selling this rifle for one of my neighbors. It was "sold" 3 weeks ago, but the buyer (who was not a newbie) was a deadbeat, so I'm relisting it:
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/872273241

it's a good looking Harrington and Richardson, and it's in a hard to find serial number range: nearly all of the 5.4 million serial block was assigned to Springfield Armory. For the shooter, the collector- or both, this rifle would be a great addition to your gun safe.

Now I need to get to work on getting my auction fees refunded  >:)

Comments

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,309 ******

Nice rifle, Mark!

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,381 ***** Forums Admin
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    If a forum member buys the rifle I will include a cleaning kit at no extra charge. If you win, please remind me.  
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    Makes me want to buy when I need to be selling!
    What's next?
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like the price of Garands is holding up fairly well, Mark.  Has that been your experience?
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    The CMP is currently sold out of Service Grades. Those rifles which are on hand are shipping to orders placed in late Feb to early March. The lower quality Field Grade rifles are still available for order, but shipping times are running 6-8 weeks. When this will change no one knows, but right now it is a sellers market for M1s.
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭
    FCD,
    I have a well used H & R that gauges close to a 3 and it is as accurate (or even more accurate) than those I have that gauge between 1 and 2.
    I am no expert in these things, and one would think that generally closer to 1 would be more accurate than closer to 3.  As I only shoot out to 200 yards max, and typically at 100, it may not be as much of an issue.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    High numbers in the throat or at the muzzle don't automatically mean poor accuracy, but serve as a benchmark for barrel wear. Uncle Sam needed a quick and easy way to determine wear, so the Army specified that wear above 6 at the throat and/or 3 at the muzzle meant the rifle would receive a new barrel. This didn't mean the rifle was unsafe or inaccurate, it just mean that the barrel was past its prime. Of course Uncle Sam had thousands of highly skilled armorers and roughly 1 million barrels left over from WWII and Korea that were gathering dust and need to be used up!

An M1 barrel- if properly cared for,  was expected to have a lifespan of 8000 to 10,000 rounds. Post Korea era rifles were, for the most part, fired only non corrosively primed ammo. This made cleaning less critical and it could extend barrel life even further.  How fast it takes to wear down a barrel depends almost exclusively on the amount of rapid fire. In any case, I don't know how the numbers of rounds fired relates to the individual wear indications. 

Here you can see the gauges used to measure barrel wear along with a scale. The REJECT marking at the end of the top (throat) gauge means exactly that- the barrel is shot out and is a tomato stake. Finally, a brand new barrel may read a bit higher than 1 due to wear in the drilling equipment and other issues of tolerance (I'm not a machinist). 

Barrels measuring zero (0) do show up every now and then, but they are few and far between:

Here is an example of what you NEVER want to see:

I always say that if the seller can't provide the barrel wear numbers, either with his own gauges or with the CMP tag, you should be suspect of the barrel's condition. 

As always, all of these photos are my own. 
  • Options
    mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭
    Sent you PM with a question.
  • Options
    mohawk600 said:
    Sent you PM with a question.
    Check you PM file for my reply.
  • Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,683 ✭✭✭✭
    I shared your listing on my Facebook....who knows if it helps, but I've got a lot of gun people on my page, so hopefully it will draw a few eyeballs over.   
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,786 ✭✭✭✭

Nice rifle, just dont need another one. Hope it does well.
    Thanks for the HS pics. 

• Options
    There were two forum members (that I recognize) bidding on this rifle. I want to thank both of you for your participation. The rifle, which was a relist, sold for within $50 of the first listing which, as Locust Fork can testify to, seldom happens. I have one more of my neighbor's M1s to put up on auction, but it won't happen until after the Fourth of July. 

Thanks to everyone who bid and who took the time to look at the auction.