In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Buddy's Angst -

KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in General Discussion

A bunch of logs down about 2 levels below the back deck. A couple of chipmunks have taken up residence there this early Spring. They run the logs back and forth repeatedly.

It drives Buddy nuts to see them running back and forth. He will stand there silently for a long time, with his head throught the uprights on the deck, until one comes out, then he goes nuts.

I find it hysterical. It is better than a Cat on Catnip with a Ping Pong ball. 😂

Poor Buddy. 😥

Comments

• ChrisStreettChrisStreett Member Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭
    Ken, Buddy is a smart critter, you think he's just watching, nope, he's thinking and planning their demise. One of these days he'll have his plan finalized and those chipmunks are gonna be nothing more than a snack and a memory.
    "...dying ain't much of a living boy"-Josey Wales
  • KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Good to see you posting Chris.

I have no doubts that Buddy would love to be on one of them.

• mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭

I am not a fan of squirrels and mice as they tend to be very destructive and invasive - especially getting into the bird feeders and houses and bat boxes and such...

I will admit I turn the dog and the ferret loose on many critters who have tried to invade and stake claim to the back yard or garage because they are so destructive...

I am however a fan of chipmunks - especially reticulated chipmunks...

They are not common in my region but as we live on an extended dead end cul-de-sac that is bordered by state green acres park land / wildlife restoration habitat sites we do have some curious chipmunks - they are smaller then I thought - and they keep to the trees and avoid the housepets...

They don't appear super invasive or destructive - so far as I can tell and the girls like to see the chipmunks scamper and cavort and play.

They seem to avoid the garage and house sticking to the back fence and landscaped garden and tree border areas - they have learned to id the sound of the back doors opening as a warning bell that the dog and ferret are about to charge out and rip around the yard.

The ferret appears to ignore the chipmunks and the dog will watch them / observe them - note their activity but only half heatedly chases them...

I imagine the cat would try to kill them.

Maybe I am ignorant and have invited destructive pests into the property - maybe they are useful helpful low impact critters that should be incorporated into the bigger picture...

They are cute and do seem to talk amongst themselves in a friendly fashion - I worry about hawks or owls or eagles eating them but they seem to use the trees and terrain / landscape features well to avoid aerial predator threats

The girls have put out sunflower seeds and suet cake bells for them but I admit I don't know what they eat or like...

They also appear very active at dawn and dusk - diurnal patterns of behavior - you see them pop up and be active after it rains..

The park ranger / wildlife / fish and game folk tell me that in NJ feral house cats killed off much of the colorful small bird population and songbirds - as well as chipmunks and moles / voles...

Apparently down the shore many shore bird populations were rendered extinct by feral cats...

What's the opinion of chipmunks - problem in the making or chip and Dale amusements???

Yes chip and Dale not Alvin.

Never liked Alvin and the chipmunks or Josey and the pussycats.

Yes I am aware that I am not quite right in the head.

Part of my charm.

Seeing lots of turtles now as well - not sure why.

Mike