In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Blank post experiment-C/P of OP: Love the smell

susiesusie Member Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in General Discussion

Cut and paste of original post with an edit to include subject line.

Love the smell of: Fresh mown hay. I also appreciate not having to stack hundreds of square bales on a wagon in the Missouri heat. My dad baled hay for other farmers as I was growing up. I worked my butt off. Started as a driver of tractors pulling a wagon when I was 8 or 9. Graduated to wagon or truckbed duty, stacking hay and then unloading onto the elevator for lofted barns or just tossing into barns.

Daddy hired hands to help as well. They got paid. I didn't. I have plans to eventually put a few head of cattle back onto the farm.

Comments

• kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Working here, Susie!!!

BTW, good luck with the cattle initiative!
    What's next?
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm right there with you for the smell of new cut hay. It's very distinctive and I love it!
    I helped bale when I was young, awful experience in my opinion. Too hot, too dusty and rudely uncomfortable. But all my cousins were there too so couldn't complain too loudly. The dunk in the 55 gallon water barrel was the best!
    I'm glad you figured out the problem as I was just about to bother Mark for an explanation... ;)
    Best.

• susiesusie Member Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭✭

We haven't figured it out. OP is still blank. Just started a new thread.

Our treat was to head to Current River afterwards for a good swim with some fishing thrown in for dinner if we were lucky. Take a can of lard, a cast iron skillet, and a sack of taters. Yum.

• nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    I should have added that as well. After the dunk in the water barrel we were released from duty and allowed to run down to the closest pond for a long swim to cool off. We always kept fishing poles down there for just such occasions. Crickets or worms, whichever we found first, got a good dunking also as bait for the bass in the pond.
    Best.

• Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭
    Bucked a lot of bales for a nickle each many moons ago.  Two of us, depending upon the travel time between field and loft, could do 300 a day or so.  $ 75.00 a day each was huge back then, particularly for a couple of kids in their early teens.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • bigal125bigal125 Member Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭
    As long as you're not doing any kind of "Blank Space" experiment, that's okay! :)
    I, too, like the smell of fresh cut hay, but my hay bale throwing days are long over. Wish I could do like you plan, and raise a few head of cattle. Kinda hard to do in metro Tucson, AZ!
    Big Al (I can't believe I mentioned that song by that singer! In my defense, it bugs my wife even more than it bugs me because I can always turn my hearing aid off, if I want to!) :D:o
  • dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭
    I commented on your original post but I got disappeared! 
  • Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******

Fresh cut hay, fresh tilled soil, and right after a rain.

The smells of growing up in the country.

• pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭✭

The smell of a barn of tobacco being cured and a warehouse full of it just before a sale . Fresh cut grass and the smell of dirt just broken up after a long day of riding the tractor

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • susiesusie Member Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭✭

My maternal grandfather raised tobacco before I existed. He had stopped the tobacco and sheep farming before I came along. Cattle, pigs and chickens are all I remember on his farm.

Yes, there is something about a newly busted field. I loved it when Daddy broke out the disc and plow.

• BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,280 ******
    Firing up a 100' x 35' greenhouse on the first of February during a cold winter here in northern Michigan.  

Heat on for a day and the place smells of Spring within just a couple of hours!  
  • Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭
    Bucked a lot of bales for a nickle each many moons ago.  Two of us, depending upon the travel time between field and loft, could do 300 a day or so.  $ 75.00 a day each was huge back then, particularly for a couple of kids in their early teens.

Same here...me a buddy and our younger brothers...(4 of us) kicked some but bucking bales...We picked the fields we would buck based on field and lot time and the farmer had to have a skid trailer...We could do 900 - 1000 bales a day...for a nickle a bale and a hot meal... Wore out a pair of Levis every weak...(but back then they only cost $3.75!)  :)
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member