In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

OMG NOT The Beer!

mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
I read an article implying a CO2 shortage due to reductions in production of Ethanol might cause a BEER shortage! Horrors!

Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!

Comments

• MrMag00MrMag00 Member Posts: 532 ✭✭✭
    Sorry, real beer produces its own co2 during the fermentation process. Fake beer is injected with co2
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    MrMag00 said:
    Sorry, real beer produces its own co2 during the fermentation process. Fake beer is injected with co2

Interesting but most kegs I've seen use CO2 to push it down the line? And I believe when they bottle beer they usually "wash" the bottle with CO2 while filling? Anyway I drink bourbon mostly but do enjoy a ice cold beer occasionally.
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    mogley98 said:
    MrMag00 said:

Interesting but most kegs I've seen use CO2 to push it down the line? And I believe when they bottle beer they usually "wash" the bottle with CO2 while filling? Anyway I drink bourbon mostly but do enjoy a ice cold beer occasionally.

CO2 or Air  is used to charge (pressurize) a keg only, by replacing depleted beer. > keg tap charging plunger. B)
    It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭

We have been alerted to a potential shortage of the CO2 we use as a cover gas in the weld shop. Turns out that ethanol production is not very green.

Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele

We have been alerted to a potential shortage of the CO2 we use as a cover gas in the weld shop. Turns out that ethanol production is not very green.

Seems harmless to me.

It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,131 ✭✭✭✭
    I have long snorted derisively when the "global warming" idiots condemn everybody else that produces CO2 - while they chug endless monster mugs of soda fizzing its CO2 merrily away into the atmosphere. Suggest that soda production be banned? I wonder what incredulous open-mouthed stare that idea would bring.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭

Did you know that in some European cites - I think Holland and Austria and Germany possibly they have a beer utility that like the water company and gas company and power company placed pipes under the cities infrastructure to deliver beer from the brewery to your kitchen like tap water???

That's a concept I can get behind - who would have thought...

Beer on tap in your house straight from the brewery as a utility...

In France they have tanker trucks that deliver wine to families - though most Americans who enjoy wine would not find the daily use wine the French consume like water very palatable...

My father grew up in Philadelphia and remembers as a child milk and ice and beer being delivered by small vehicles with teamsters - even still some horse drawn conveyance methods...

And that the gasoline companies would drive small tank trucks through the city neighborhoods and deliver gasoline to your car rather then you going to a station to fill up...

He can recall city workers cleaning and maintaining gas street light mantles - coal chutes and delivery of coal from trucks in the street...

Family trips to the navy yard to see the damaged ships having returned after the war...

A neighborhood bar that offered growlers - parents would send the kids to the bar or taproom with containers to bring home aged or going flat or going stale or bottom of the keg / barrel beer...

Random thoughts and observations.

Mike

• WearyTravelerWearyTraveler Member Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭
    I’ll tell ya- if they start pumping beer or wine to a faucet at my place, my utility bills would skyrocket.
    ”People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    - GEORGE ORWELL -
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,131 ✭✭✭✭
    Mike, when I was but a nipper, my parents could send me (I was the elder of two boys) to the tavern down the road with a bright tin beer bucket. The bartender, knowing me by sight, would fill that bucket and I would carry it very carefully home for Saturday supper. Today, of course, that would violate a dozen or more laws; it was commonplace back then.
    (And it was real beer, too. Not the fizzy water that passes for beer today. What brand my parents drank is now beyond my ken, but it may have been Stag, or Falstaff, or Stroh's, or Pabst; all good honest beers with substance to them.)
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think CO2 is anywhere in a vodka bottle so I'm just fine, no problem!  
    Mike, when I was but a nipper, my parents could send me (I was the elder of two boys) to the tavern down the road with a bright tin beer bucket. The bartender, knowing me by sight, would fill that bucket and I would carry it very carefully home for Saturday supper. Today, of course, that would violate a dozen or more laws; it was commonplace back then.
    (And it was real beer, too. Not the fizzy water that passes for beer today. What brand my parents drank is now beyond my ken, but it may have been Stag, or Falstaff, or Stroh's, or Pabst; all good honest beers with substance to them.)
    "Today, of course, that would violate a dozen or more laws"

:D

• mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭

Despite being on the border between a Jewish neighborhood and an Irish neighborhood and local brewed beer on tap usually dominating sales in local establishments - my father says the family favorite and local lore / opinion was that DAB in pint sized thick heavy glass NR bottles were the choice top option...

And in those days competitive with decent local brewery on tap fodder as far as price goes...

When my father got stationed at fort Lenard Wood as an MP NCO he found that DAB could not be obtained in the area - he had to smuggle cases down from Philly and cut in the sgt with the most time in grade...

Apparently were it not for the ice cold meat locker air conditioned NCO club on post were you could sleep in an armchair when off duty while running a tab and eating peanuts - my father would not have survived summers on the base...

Mike