In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Comments

• toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    Bunch of bs that you have to either sign in, or subscribe to read the story from the failing WSJ. Even though I don't care for their views, I still like to look at those who oppose mine. I never knew about the Navajo Nation, here is a link as to who they are:
    https://www.navajo-nsn.gov/history.htm

As for big "R" going bye, bye, I doubt it. They will be like all the other ones who went down the same path, and will be bought up by a larger company, until someone owns all of them...
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    At this point in time. The Navajo's are in no position to buy Remington, or anything else. They are severally afflicted, with the Chinese virus. Thousands of their folks, are ill with it. And many hundreds, have passed away. Very bad situation, and unfortunately it appears to be getting worse. 

I'm a part time resident, of Navajo Country AZ. The virus seems to be escalating, at a rate of 300 to 500 a week. For a sparsely populated, rural county, that mostly Indian reservations. It's turning into a major tragedy.
  • chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,718 ✭✭✭✭
    The company that owns them now has nearly destroyed the brand. Hopefully, if the Navajo Nation buys them out, they make quality control an organization priority.  
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    I was shocked to learn, in the past year, that the worst .22 ammo on the market is made by Remington.
    Sad sign for a once-great company.
    A sure sign that "there is something rotten in Denmark."
  • KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Thunderduds have been the worst on the market for quite a while now.

• OkieOkie Member Posts: 991 ✭✭✭
    toad67 said:
    Bunch of bs that you have to either sign in, or subscribe to read the story from the failing WSJ. Even though I don't care for their views, I still like to look at those who oppose mine. I never knew about the Navajo Nation, here is a link as to who they are:
    https://www.navajo-nsn.gov/history.htm

As for big "R" going bye, bye, I doubt it. They will be like all the other ones who went down the same path, and will be bought up by a larger company, until someone owns all of them...

Yep,
     just pray that it,s not the Democrats that starts buying them out undercover or above cover like for example, Little Mikey Bloomberg, Biden, Hillary,  
    Mikey could not buy in as the Pres candidate, but he might get other idea's from the SWAMP.
    Who did I leave out
    Feel free to add to the list:

• gjshawgjshaw Member Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭

My nephew works for Remington in ilion ny. The sad part is the company is not telling the workers anything about what is going on. They say everything is fine, just come to work and do the government job contract that they got awarded.

• hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,121 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    guess we will be seeing remington bow and arrows now..........
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    Hard to see how it could get worse than Cerberus.
    A sure sign that \"there is something rotten in Denmark.\"","bodyRaw":"I was shocked to learn, in the past year, that the worst .22 ammo on the market is made by Remington.
    A sure sign that \"there is something rotten in Denmark.\"","format":"wysiwyg","dateInserted":"2020-06-27T12:04:52+00:00","insertUser":{"userID":352527,"name":"allen griggs","photoUrl":"https:\/\/forums.gunbroker.com\/applications\/dashboard\/design\/images\/defaulticon.png","dateLastActive":"2020-06-26T17:49:12+00:00","label":"✭✭✭"},"displayOptions":{"showUserLabel":false,"showCompactUserInfo":true,"showDiscussionLink":false,"showPostLink":false,"showCategoryLink":false,"renderFullContent":false,"expandByDefault":false},"url":"https:\/\/forums.gunbroker.com\/discussion\/comment\/11196433#Comment_11196433","embedType":"quote"}"> https://forums.gunbroker.com/discussion/comment/11196433#Comment_11196433

Thunderduds have been the worst on the market for quite a while now.

I don't have a .22 and had not fired one in years.  Brother brought over the 10/22 the other day and we were astonished at all the misfires.   Remington.
    I understand that CCI is pretty good.

But how can Remington do that?  I was shooting a .22 all the time when I was a kid we never had a misfire.
    What is wrong at Remington that they manufacture faulty ammo?  Is nothing sacred?
  • grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭
    We tested about 10 different 22LR brands/variations in 3 different rifles, and all the Remington stuff sucked. Golden Bullets had up to 75 FPS difference in one box of 50, Thunderjunk was no better. CCI was consistent as could be, even in their cheaper stuff. I haven't bought anything but MiniMags for years. 
    I have one Remington M700 rifle that I trust to shoot well, and it was extensively work over by a gunsmith.
  • austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,829 ✭✭✭✭

Hope someone comes along to buy them and improve their quality

• select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    Someone hopefully will tell them to drop their cheapest line of bolt actions... reckon the begin hunters wanted something cheap. The 700 series has actually improved.  They are using aftermarket stocks on a lot of them that actually cost 1/2 or more what the gun does. Quite a bargain. Being as I sold my Sig Sauer SSG 3000 I made enough profit off of it to get my new in box  300 Win. Rem 700 stainless 5R for Free and it has all the goodies already on it.
  • buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,235 ✭✭✭✭
    I gave up on Remington years ago.I had problems with a new rifle and found out the only thing worse than that rifle was their customer service.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    I read an article in a Rifle mag.  Remington has a new CEO and his focus is on quality an shedding the stuff that is not core business.  I hope he succeeds; He may want to start on the quality of his 22 ammo that others have pointed out is JUNK.  Cheapo rifles are a dime a dozen.  Well built, reliable accurate rifles and handguns sell.
  • victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
    austin20 said:

I'm a part time resident, of Navajo Country AZ. The virus seems to be escalating, at a rate of 300 to 500 a week. For a sparsely populated, rural county, that mostly Indian reservations. It's turning into a major tragedy.","bodyRaw":"At this point in time. The Navajo's are in no position to buy Remington, or anything else. They are severally afflicted, with the Chinese virus. Thousands of their folks, are ill with it. And many hundreds, have passed away. Very bad situation, and unfortunately it appears to be getting worse. 

I'm a part time resident, of Navajo Country AZ. The virus seems to be escalating, at a rate of 300 to 500 a week. For a sparsely populated, rural county, that mostly Indian reservations. It's turning into a major tragedy.","format":"wysiwyg","dateInserted":"2020-06-27T06:50:26+00:00","insertUser":{"userID":342976,"name":"rufe-snow","photoUrl":"https:\/\/forums.gunbroker.com\/applications\/dashboard\/design\/images\/defaulticon.png","dateLastActive":"2020-06-28T00:38:32+00:00","label":"✭✭✭"},"displayOptions":{"showUserLabel":false,"showCompactUserInfo":true,"showDiscussionLink":false,"showPostLink":false,"showCategoryLink":false,"renderFullContent":false,"expandByDefault":false},"url":"https:\/\/forums.gunbroker.com\/discussion\/comment\/11196421#Comment_11196421","embedType":"quote"}"> https://forums.gunbroker.com/discussion/comment/11196421#Comment_11196421

Thst is sad

+100
  • lkanneslkannes Member Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭

I'm sure that trigger recall didn't help their financial situation.

• spasmcreeksrunspasmcreeksrun Member Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭
    i believe remington was purchased so the new owner could strip the money out and go on his way......
  • chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,718 ✭✭✭✭
    He Dog said:
    Hard to see how it could get worse than Cerberus.
    Nailed it HD! Every brand they bought out has been ruined.
  • savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,446 ✭✭✭✭

This is the part that caught my eye in the article almost sounds like Colts plan

"The plan included going the police-and-defense-contracts route, instead of selling to the public; pulling back from AR-15 semi-automatic weapons; and using the manufacturing as a way to reduce tribe unemployment."

savage170 said:

This is the part that caught my eye in the article almost sounds like Colts plan

"The plan included going the police-and-defense-contracts route, instead of selling to the public; pulling back from AR-15 semi-automatic weapons; and using the manufacturing as a way to reduce tribe unemployment."

Bingo... and then the public took it as anti gun against them.
  • toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    If they did go to the Navajo Nation, would that make them an imported rifle, no longer made in the USA??
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    It’s a shame what they did to Para Ordinance.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    toad67 said:
    If they did go to the Navajo Nation, would that make them an imported rifle, no longer made in the USA??

The United States still asserts plenary power and thus requires the territory of the Navajo Nation to submit all proposed laws to the United States Secretary of the Interior for Secretarial Review, through the Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA).

The US Supreme Court in United States v. Kagama (1889) affirmed that Congress has plenary power over all Indian tribes within United States borders, saying that "The power of the general government over these remnants of a race once powerful ... is necessary to their protection as well as to the safety of those among whom they dwell".[18] It noted that the tribes did not owe allegiance to the states within which their reservations were located.[19]

Article 1, Section 8 of the United States Constitution vests Congress, and by extension the Executive and Judicial branches of our government, with the authority to engage in relations with the tribes, thereby firmly placing tribes within the constitutional fabric of our nation. When the governmental authority of tribes was first challenged in the 1830's, U. S. Supreme Court Chief Justice John Marshall articulated the fundamental principle that has guided the evolution of federal Indian law to the present: That tribes possess a nationhood status and retain inherent powers of self-government.

• montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,893 ******
    Remington lost us as a customer  of any new items when we had our trouble with them 8 yrs. ago.  The quality went way down and customer service was just terrible.  
  • mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    Besides the crummy .22 ammo which I mentioned above, I have had another incident.   I like to keep a couple of .44 cap and ball revolvers loaded.  I have kept such a gun loaded for ten years, setting in a drawer, and it fired fine.
    Last month I went to shoot one of my .44s, it had been loaded for just 2 years.  First cylinder, misfire!   I had 3 of 5 cylinders misfire.   I was astonished.

I pulled the caps off and saw where the caps had deteriorated.   I also noticed that they were Remington caps.  I pulled the caps off and cleared the crud off the nipple, and put a CCI cap in place and the gun fired fine.
    The guns I had kept loaded for 10 years, I was using CCI caps.   
    Along with crummy .22 ammo, Remington also makes crummy percussion caps.   Bye-Bye, Remington you have utterly lost me as a customer.   How could this once good company go so bad?   Did they start manufacturing stuff in China, or what?   How could they screw up .22 ammo and also percussion caps?
    Bye-Bye, Remington you have utterly lost me as a customer.

And they won't miss you for even a nanosecond! With the current number of new gun owners, especially in the AR15 area, Remington will be selling ammunition and components until they run out. They are happily turning the machines on every morning creating rifles, handguns, ammunition and components to fulfill the needs of the general public as well as the Federal Government for whom they have dozens of contracts. Some of the most accurate rifles I've built have been on Remington M700 actions.

If you want better ammunition, spend more money instead of buying the cheapest. I may not have the thousands of rounds of .22LR ammunition as some of you but the ammo I have is the best; Lapua, Eley and SK. Accurate and reliable by test in the firearms I shoot.

Best.

But Remington will miss me, and the thousands of other shooters who won't buy their crappy ammo any more.
    What makes you the Big Remington cheerleader?  Do you own Remington stock.
    It's not my intention of ruffling your feathers with my observations. There's usually another way to look at things and I try to present this reasonably.

No, no stock or any other benefits but I've worked with their products and services for a long time without any complaints and a lot of satisfaction. The difference is I know what to buy and what to avoid thereby saving me money and aggravation.

No, not a cheerleader either. I see no reason to condemn Remington for producing a line of cheap ammunition which has a potential for failure. Like many other types of manufacturing which take place in China and Mexico, there is always space for a cheap line of product because someone will buy it.  I suggested and will continue to suggest that instead of buying cheap ammunition, take a step up and buy higher quality ammunition instead, eliminating the possibility of failure. The action of buying cheap ammo with the expectation of it performing like the more expensive ammo is fallacious. Common sense.

Best.

I guess I am fortunate. I have shot thousands and thousands of the Remington Golden bullets and Thunder .22 and never had one single dud.

Remington core lokts were my go to hunting round but recently I've had few squibs I don't trust them anymore.

Centerfire Core-Lokts?
    If yes, did you let someone at Remington know? This is the first report of squibs I've heard of.
    Best.

Box of 100 grain 243 they gave me a free box
    Have you had a chance to shoot any from the new box?

Best.

No I have not I bought the 6.5 Grendel upper and that has replaced the 243 as my night hunting setup. I don't think I've shot that rifle since getting that bullet unstuck from the barrel

Corelokts  are fair game ammo but a lot of companies have surpassed that rd.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    I tested Thunderduds over a chrono.  IIRC the slowest rounds were in the 740FPS range with a noticed muffled report.  The fastest were around 1160 or so.  Variations in manufacturing are expected for high volume ammo made to SAMMI specs.  There is something lacking when the manufacturer ammo testing fails to find these issues before shipment.
    I like the Remington 700 it is an excellent design.  I built my 6BR on a XP-100 Action and it serves me very well barrel cold or hot shot after shot using 105 A-Max's or 80 grain Bergers.  I would love to build a 30BR for fun and giggles but my airplane needs gas so for now that is on the back burner.