In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Sold my Woodstove -

KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in General Discussion

Woo Hoo!

Got what I paid for it about 7 years ago. $400 for a Fisher Grandpa double door woodstove. (500 #) Neighbor buying it. Takes a bit of the edge off the $5400 install I've got coming up. (Already paid $3K for the Pacific Energy woodstove/insert.) Increased efficiency is ridiculous. Going SS liner in the chimney. That is a big relief, as it cuts the chance of a chimney fire way, way down. I've been stressing on that. You would have to see my huge Rock chimney set up to fully understand. Can not be cleaned in the traditional sense.

Knew I would have no problem selling it around here.

Yeah Buddy. 😁

Comments

• Options

Yeah.

Now I'm only out $5K. 😣😥😮

Figure it will pay for itself in about 4-5 years.

• Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like he got a smoking deal..........
  • Options

Yeah. It was a Hot commodity.

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭
    free delivery and setup???????
  • Options
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
    That Fisher is one of the great old-time wood stoves.   Not very efficient, that's true, but easy to light and the wood didn't have to be so dry.    
    I have been burning wood stoves since 1972.   Twenty years ago I got one of the new high efficiency stoves.  I couldn't figure out why it didn't burn so well.  I would get the fire all lit, get a roaring fire, and after several hours the stove was just piled high with glowing coals.   Also, I couldn't get it up above 425 degrees.
    It took me years to learn that these new high efficiency stoves demand really dry wood.  I bought a moisture meter at Lowes.
    Need to get that moisture down to 17 percent, which requires, for good wood like oak, at least 2 years of drying time in a normal wood stack.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    "Increased efficiency is ridiculous."

Son has (doesn't use it and hoping to find a sucker who will buy it) one of those "high efficiency" wood stoves. The thing is a complete JOKE.   The type and moisture content of the wood is so critical that you can't burn green wood or store wood outside.  The firebox is tiny requiring wood be split into itty bitty slivers in order to get it into the stove. The air flow in the chimney is too low when burning any sort of sappy or resinous wood causing the chimney to clot up.
    The ridiculous part is the advertising that convinces buyers this is a GOOD IDEA.
  • Options

Yeah Allen. It was specifically pointed out to me the dryness ratio required, or it would clog up the removable baffles.

Lifetime warranty on the stove and the liner, provided I do my part.

I have tons of downed logs (2-3 years old) white Oak and Red Oak on the ground out back. It may not post muster after being cut and split. I have a couple sources to purchase really dried cut and split wood. Will probably go that route this year.

I will have to start getting way ahead.

• Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Mobuck said:
    "Increased efficiency is ridiculous."

Son has (doesn't use it and hoping to find a sucker who will buy it) one of those "high efficiency" wood stoves. The thing is a complete JOKE.   The type and moisture content of the wood is so critical that you can't burn green wood or store wood outside.  The firebox is tiny requiring wood be split into itty bitty slivers in order to get it into the stove. The air flow in the chimney is too low when burning any sort of sappy or resinous wood causing the chimney to clot up.
    The ridiculous part is the advertising that convinces buyers this is a GOOD IDEA.
    The wood stove industry was turned upside down in 1992 and 1993.  New federal mandates required more efficient burning of the wood, and, lower emissions.
    All companies had to redsign their stoves.  Jotul went to all catalytic stoves, so did Vermont Castings.
    I owned a Vermont Castings Resolute at the time, a 1988 model and it was a great stove.  VC was probably the best company in the industry, prior to 1993.   Fisher also made great stoves, the Mama Bear and the Papa Bear etc.  Big stoves with big flat areas on top where you could cook chili.  You still see lots of the old-time Fisher stoves in use.

The new 1993 catalytic Vermont Castings stove was poorly designed.  VC sales dropped and they have never recovered.  Current VC stoves have all kinds of problems, I wouldn't take a brand new $3000 Vermont Castings stove if you gave it to me for free.

Jotul stuck with the catalytic for years but they were not happy with it and they redesigned their stoves to where they were all non-cat.   That is what I now have, a 2016 Jotul Oslo non-cat.  This is a great wood stove!  Lots of glass in the door and a great view of the fire. Puts out wonderful heat.  The new stoves get a lot more heat out of a given amount of wood.  They are more efficient.
    You gotta go hi tech to use these new stoves.  You have to get a moisture meter from Lowes, and get that wood dry, it could take 3 years!   
    On the install, that pipe needs to go straight up through the roof.   These new stoves do not like 90 degree bends in the pipe and won't draw well, usually, if there is a 90 or two.

I understand why people like the old low efficiency stoves, I burned them for 25 years.  Easier to light, will burn green wood, and you can have 90 degree bends in the pipe.   But my new Oslo is a wonderful stove, in January we burn it around the clock.
    I have a real big wood pile.
  • Options
    SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    You will like you PE stove for is efficiency.  We put in the PE Neo 2.5 insert last winter with chimney liner and it was the best thing we ever did with our fireplace.  The stove will burn 6-8 hours on a load of good dry wood.  We have the blower fan in the surround and it does a great job of getting the heat out into the room.  I did a lot of research before buying the PE stove.  Their prices are not the cheapest but the quality is high, you get what you pay for.
  • Options

Thanks SW.

If I can stay ahead of it with really dry wood, I will be good. I have a lot of space to keep wood indoors if I need to. 30'X40' metal outbuilding, unfinished outside access only basement. 10X20' wood shed, etc.

Mobuck, thanks for your input. I hope your Son can sell his high efficiency wood stove/insert. What an awful situation. Too bad he could not get a hold of truly dried wood to take advantage of it's efficiency. Having to load nothing but kindling, that is terrible. Perhaps he should have looked in to log length in the firebox beforehand, like I did. That is one of the options you know.

"Increased efficiency is ridiculous." Sigh......................................................

• Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭

Sales flier arrives soon...

"Wood dryer attachment" for your new wood stove on sale now.

😕😟😧...

Mike

• Options
    OkieOkie Member Posts: 991 ✭✭✭
    Wood cook stove, wood cloths dryer, wood washing machine, might be signs of a redneck area.
    Now days, Smart Washing machines, Smart cars, smart phones, smart Tv's. I've noticed that when I seen a person in a smart car they look dumb and I wonder how much other smart stuff they have.
    Meals cooked by a woman on a wood cook stove just tastes better. (frog legs, fried squirrel and gravy.
    Health Food.
    Bet going Green Al Gore never eat a meal from a wood stove. (or he would be wanting all people to conserve energy and get wood appliances.
     ;) 
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,382 ******
    Around here in northern Michigan, many of the folks that have been burning wood have gone to efficient heat with pellet stoves.   IMHO, there isn't any ambiance burning pellets and all you get is heat.  You are also at the mercy of the supply chain with possible shortages and or price increases.