In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Squirrels....again.....found a nest in my Camaro. Looking at car capsules and other options

Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,682 ✭✭✭✭
I swear.....I give up.    I cannot keep the critters out of that car without going further than what I've been trying.     I don't drive it enough to keep an eye on what is going on and by the time I realize something is nesting in it they've damaged something.    I've got a short in it somewhere now and it will not start without jumping it off.    So, I'm nervous to take it out at all....which is making things even worse, because its parked even longer now without anyone messing with it.

I found a few covers that seem to be what I need, but I want to be certain I get the best thing possible.    I don't think the "bubble" type thing would work best or if that would just be another frustrating thing to keep up with.    The total coverage car covers might work, but I'd have to make sure a critter couldn't eat a hole in it and it would just be a bigger problem since it probably wouldn't be noticed until things were worse than what I'm dealing with now.     I don't know what option I'll go with, but the first thing is to get it back in the shop and repair whatever damage is done.....have it cleaned because it smells like a rat toilet right now and hopefully have whatever plan ready for it when I get it back.

I found this little helpful list of things....I've done some of these things, but not all.    
https://www.carcovers.com/resources/how-to-protect-your-car-from-rodents/
LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com

Comments

• Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    Hungry outside cat will do the trick.
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,781 ✭✭✭✭
    In all my years and being around both Fox and Grey Squirrels in a number of states, I have never heard of squirrel (Sciurus) building a nest in an automobile.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,238 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    https://www.amazon.com/Glaobule-Electronic-Repellent-Ultrasonic-Deterrent/dp/B0814VJ7Y6/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=battery+powered+rat+repeller&qid=1593296178&sr=8-7

Twenty five bucks.  Battery operated.  I have been fighting rats in the tool shed for 24 years.
    I put two of these in there, two weeks ago, the  &%((#$@!!   Rats are gone.
    They give you six little zip ties.  You just zip tie it in place inside your engine space and the squirrels will be gone.
    Squirrel  =   Rat with bushy tail.

Batteries last 2 months.
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,177 ✭✭✭✭
    gonna have to bring yourself to drive it at least once a week or so just to shake the critters out, or sell it if your only gonna let it sit.........
  • Options
    gjshawgjshaw Member Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭

Kasey, solve your problem . Give it to your son to drive . He will keep it nice I bet.

• Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I have an old John Deere 212 garden tractor under the shed that I have not used in a long time.I left a trickle charger on it so it should start.Turned the key-click-no start.Checked the battery with a multimeter=13 volts.Bad solenoid.Pulled in my shop pulled out the battery and battery tray to get to the solenoid and there were hundreds of water oak acorn stashed on the frame and cross member.Fixed the solenoid,was checking the oil and saw something sticking out of the shroud around the spark plug.Pulled the shroud and mice had built nest all in the head and cylinder fins which would have caused the Old Kohler to over heat and probably destroy the engine.I guess I will try the mothballs.
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd think with as many guns that go thru your place, you'd be able to shoot them..... >:)
  • Options
    boogerbooger Member Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭
    I've had several car/truck rat hassles. Didn't have any problems for years, here lately it's been ridiculous. Tried a lot of traps etc. but what has worked the best is glue boards under the hood. They find them to be such a hassle they just go elsewhere. Heavy duty or regular glues boards will work. I learned to use some heavy string/twine, tied through a hole poked in the corner, with a carabiner on the other end. Hook the carabiner on any reasonably secure vehicle bracket etc. so the critter can't run off with the glue board attached. Once I found a glue board with a large tail still on it, the rat had chewed it's own tail off to get away!!
    The critters seem to want to be on top of everything, so that's where I'll put a few. Don't forget a post-it note on the steering wheel to remind you to remove them before starting it up.

Phase two of the attack is this: https://www.automatictrap.com/

• Options
    The critters I'm dealing with haven't bothered under the hood much that I can tell, but they have taken the stuffing from under my seats and built a nest in the trunk.    There is poop all in the floorboards and piles of acorn husks in the trunk.     I've seen mice in the past, but this is no mouse this time.     We have a cat that hangs out near the barn, but I think someone down the road has "taken in" the poor stray cat and started feeding it because I haven't seen it much since they bought the house up the road from us.    This cat is HUGE and did an amazing job.....but liked to stalk my bird feeder from time to time.     He once left a chipmunk next to my car that was the biggest one I've ever seen.   It was laid out like a gift next to the drivers side door.....ewwwww.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    dpmuledpmule Member Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Kasey,
    My son has been using this for quite some time and got me using now also with excellent results.
    We put a bag in the front of the cab, one under the backseat and two under the hood.
    sounds like you may need a couple in the trunk.
    Not sure if it works on squirrels or pack rats ( which is my guess that you have), but they are rodents. 
    Not the cheapest, but as I said, it has been very effective for us on mice and shrews.
    https://www.amazon.com/Fresh-Cab-Botanical-Rodent-Repellent/dp/B00L236OMW

Mule

• Options
    I tried the scented bags with repellent and they tore into them and shredded it all over the place.   Its like ground up corn cob or something.....minty smelling, but didn't work for whatever is nesting in my car.    I think it did keep the mice out though.    
  • Options
    dpmuledpmule Member Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Well dangit.
    Too bad poisoned milo has been banned, worked good for gophers, moles and situations like this where you could control access to it.

Mule
  • Options
    susiesusie Member Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭✭

Taken from the description, "EarthKind operates with a 2% cartoon footprint......"

Lol. Spell check was not their friend.

• Options
    Ha ha ha