Pepper growers???

Flying Clay DiskFlying Clay Disk Member Posts: 34,091 ✭✭✭✭
So, my peppers are coming along quite nicely, but I have a couple questions for the Trinidad Scorpion and Ghost pepper growers here.  Looks like I've already got quite a few peppers started.  Isn't that kind of unusual for the first year?
When I first started these peppers I didn't realize they're actually perennials, not annuals, then I read up on them.  I've read they really start producing big time in year 2 and beyond.
My other question is about drying them.  I remember when I had an extensive habanero crop I made the mistake of drying them in the dehydrator in the kitchen.  Woke up the next morning and couldn't even go downstairs because of the fumes!  So...what's the best way to dry Trinidad Scorpions and Ghost peppers (which are orders of magnitude hotter than Habaneros)?  Maybe I could do them out in the garage (with the cars outside of course), might clear out any critters in there in the process as an added bonus!

Comments

• dreherdreher Member Posts: 6,999 ✭✭✭
    Are you sure about that??  I don't know of any pepper that can take even a frost much less survive a winter.  I'm not a big pepper grower but I usually have at least a dozen plants.  This year I'm up around 20 plants.  Yellow and orange bells, one Carolina Reaper, jalopino(sp) chili's, pablano's (sp).  I have peppers and tomatoes that will be ready to pick next week!  Already been picking cuc's, Sweet Chelsea cherry tomatoes, the largest cherry tomato I know of.  I love tomato sandwiches!!  I'm looking forward to the next couple of months.  I have 16 tomatoes getting ready to bear and 22 tomato plants that are 2 months away from bearing!   
  • dreherdreher Member Posts: 6,999 ✭✭✭
    I looked up your perennial statement.  It seems you are correct (I had no idea) but you have to live far enough south there is no frost.  Which I guess means we are both right, peppers can be perennials but they can't take frost.
  • Flying Clay DiskFlying Clay Disk Member Posts: 34,091 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 29
    I have them in pots, so my plan is to bring them inside before the first frost and put them under grow lights in the basement on a south facing window.  They say they're supposed to thrive at 55-60 F, which is exactly what the basement is year round.  Already got the grow lights which I used for starting my seeds earlier this year so they'll work great.
  • varianvarian Member Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭
    i have kept peppers alive year round here in south Ms.  i find them to be a fairly cold tolerant for shot periods of time.  and they do produce well in the second year.  
  • papernickerpapernicker Member Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭
     I only have pots and bring some in during winter. Sometimes they survive and come back and well. All died this yr.
  • notnownotnow Member Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭
    I think you need to put a slit in the pepper to keep it from molding. Then you should be able to just dry it in direct sun. I did this with cayennes. I put a long slit in them and then with a heavy needle and thread laced them together and hung them on the clothesline till they were dry.
     I had ghosts last year and given much bigger ones from my sisters who didnt know what she had growing. Just sliced them in thin circles and dried well with pilot light, I think. Takes close to a week but into jar they went. No fumes. Some, other type, whole hot peppers were not dried enough and went bad.
  • diver-rigdiver-rig Member Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭

I have a Cabela’s rand huge dehydrator. I dehydrate all kinds of herbs, fruit and meat.

Made a mistake a few years ago, of trying to dry some ghost peppers from our forum supplier, name escapes me, in the kitchen.

Boy, howdy was the wife unit upset.

I have the dehydrator on a roll around cart. Turns out it’s the perfect height for one of our windows. I back it up to the window, and place towels around it, and it vents outside.

I slice peppers down the middle, and arrange them on the trays, cut side down.

• mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 17,200 ✭✭✭
    edited June 30
    Ah got it 1911 A1 fan!

I haven't seen him post in awhile, Dang old age I knew his forum name when I read the post now I can't remember it. He mailed me a bunch of his Ghost peppers. I also dried them inside which wasn't too bad the mistake I made was grinding them up inside LOL.
    I wore two pair of surgical gloves and washed my hands after working with them but the next trip to the John caught me on fire!

Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
    been wondering that pepper guys name
  • MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,648 ✭✭✭
    I used to grow 5k or so peppers, tomatoes, and herbs a year. Yes, peppers can be a perennial, if you don't let it freeze. I've had some that were 5 years old. Tomatoes are able to be grown year after year, too!

Lots of work, but it is a good profitable business.

Merc
  • Flying Clay DiskFlying Clay Disk Member Posts: 34,091 ✭✭✭✭
    I've got Trinidad's budding, Ghost's budding and some other hot pepper the wife bought for me budding.
    Peppers growing on all.  I'm not sure if they'll be big or not, but I'm hoping!!
    Major sun here, and they get watered every day.  They're probably not spaced far enough apart, but I'll take my chances.  I did this because of the wind (which is crazy here)...strength in numbers.  And it seems to be working. 
    This fall, I will probably cut them apart and grow them in separate pots, but for now I'm gonna' see what they do.
    (currently I've got 2-3 in a large pot, only 6-8" apart).