Yugo Mauser 98 Question

Edgarl1966Edgarl1966 Member Posts: 96 ✭✭
Can anyone tell me what the marking on the Left in the picture mean.

Comments

• mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 22,850 ******
    (Left)= FNRJ   (Right)=Preduzece 44, an armory which is located in the city of Kragujevac, one of the largest cities in Serbia, or what was then known as Yugoslavia.
  • Edgarl1966Edgarl1966 Member Posts: 96 ✭✭
    Does FNR stand for anything...Like a date in time or unit or army the rifle came from.....
  • BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭
    Federated Peoples Republic of Yugoslavia. Made between 1953 and 1963. Bob
  • nononsensenononsense Member, Moderator Posts: 10,575 ******
    Each crest has the date in it:

edited June 30
    Thank You All, I it get now.
    Another Question, is there a serial number on the barrel. I found them on the Floor Plate, Stock, Receiver and Bolt, all Matching Numbers. Having a hard time getting a look at the barrel.  Will try tomorrow with another set of hands. 
  • nononsensenononsense Member, Moderator Posts: 10,575 ******
    I'm sure there are discrepancies with any answer which might be given in regard to your question because of the massive size of the Mauser data base and the large number of variations created throughout the world. I can only speak in generalities based on my readings from Mauser masters and my building on Mausers for several decades.
    To the best of my knowledge, from memory, the Mauser variations did not use the rifle serial number on barrels. There may have been exceptions but none that I have seen, built or read about have had the serial number inscribed.

There is something sticking in the back of mind about some manufacturer which serialized barrels but I'm not shaking loose any precise manufacturer's name or model associated with that memory.

Best.