In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Sweet Corn on the Cob -

KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2020 in General Discussion

Been loving this time of year. 2-3 grilled/baked ears every day for the last week. 5-6 ears for a dollar. Butter, salt/pepper. Add in Fresh tomatoes on the vine, mayonnaise salt/pepper, Zucchini, yellow squash saute'd with onion in olive oil, etc.

Love fresh veggies.

Mmnnn.......................

Comments

• Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,176 ✭✭✭✭
    Years ago we bought some sweet corn from an Amish family that was the very best I have ever had. You would bite into it and the kernels would explode with juice. Even holding the cob in your hands some of the kernels would squirt you right in the face. I would slather them in butter with a little salt. My favorite side dish would be a 1/4 of watermelon  :p
  • KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Miracle Whip/Salad Dressing here. (Heathen.)

Bro, Sautee'd thin sliced Zucchini and Yellow Squash with fine diced onion and EVOO, is the Bomb.

Add in a couple grilled/baked fresh ears of sweet corn with Butter salt/pepper, baked rough sliced potatoes baking in the oven as Steak fries, throw in a couple Pork Chops, Mmmnnn.........................

• hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,121 ✭✭✭✭
    grew some bicolor corn one year called sweet queen or white queen silver queen, can't remember now but it tasted almost like you had spread sugar on it, sweetest corn I have ever eaten.......

I bet that was really hard/difficult to eat, with your one Toofus. 😉

Bbrrrrt,................Bbrrrrt..............one row at a time must suck.

You West Virginian' s crack me up. 😂

• hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,121 ✭✭✭✭
    thats why one ear can last a couple meals.............

More like a couple days. 😁

• Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    We just last year started microwaving them in the husk.
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭
    We're a few weeks out from corn and 'maters here just yet. But when they come in, I'll be loving it. I like a sprinkle of Tajin on my buttered corn. That really kicks corn up a notch. Hint: use your fork to spread butter on sweet corn; the pat of butter doesn't slip away.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭✭
    Same here, we are a few weeks off before corn is ready.  But as stated, when the corn is in season I will eat it every day almost to excess.

Pat of Butter, rookie move.

Take the whole bar of butter, rub it on as necessary. Works much Mo Betta. Trust me.

Yep, casual spread of Cajun spice on these ears. Of course, salt/pepper.

• JIM STARKJIM STARK Member Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭
    If you get a chance try some "AMBROSIA"... bicolor smallish ears and sweet as sugar...
    JIM...................
  • pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,217 ✭✭✭✭
    Wife just putting the finishing touches on 10  ears  now . Got to let it cool so we can bag it up and put in freezer . I ate 3 of them for a snack 
    cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    My wife gave birth to our youngest son during the second week of July back in '85 and we had a pretty good size garden that year. We lost a whole lot of corn and other stuff while we were at the hospital and getting things ready at home for the kid during that time. I took a pickup load of cucumbers that were to ripe down to the creek and dumped them. My dad had given me 124 Rutgers tomato plants that year and we planted them all.  We had more tomatoes than the farmers market.

I called the rescue mission in Knoxville and told them to come and pick all the tomatoes, corn, bean, bell peppers, cucumbers, okra and water melons, that they wanted but they wouldn't do it. They said they'd take it if I brought it to them. They evidently didn't have people that were that hungry after all. 

My wife loves gardens. Here she was in the garden sometime shortly before our son was born back in 1985. The Holston River is right behind the corn.  

• yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭
    All I see are the whites and I don't care for them. I miss the bi-color I used to chomp down on while vacationing in Washington State. I'll have to try the veg. stand and see what they got. Most likely waste of drive and time.
  • asopasop Member Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭✭
    We have a farm a few miles from here that developed a bi-colored sweet corn that's to die for.  Needs no butter!  That and local home grown tomatoes,  WOW, another 2-3 weeks I figure :)
  • Wild TurkeyWild Turkey Member Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭✭
    When I was in HS/early college we raised about 1000 acres of ensilage corn.  I was responsible for the irrigation wells so it was my duty to keep track of which field was ready to eat -- I'd pull a mess of roasting ears on my way home for a meal and husk them on the driveway and mom would have the pot ready when I walked in with the corn.

15 minutes from field to plate -- that's FRESH.  I still prefer field corn to "Sweet corn" 
    If I wanted my ears as sweet as some of the new varieties I'll roll it in Karo syrup ;)
  • Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    Add a few dashes of garlic powder.
    Neighbor says the only way to fix corn fresh is to get the water boiling, go to the patch, pick desired numbers, shuck it on the run and pop in the water. If you stump your toe and drop it, repeat the process, stopping to pick it up takes too long.
  • chmechme Member Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭✭
    Henry nailed it.  In the shucks, 3 minutes in microwave.  Let set 3 minutes, use a serrated knife to score shucks all the way around the bottom, grab top and pull- shucks come off with the silk.  
  • Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,454 ✭✭✭✭
    we have bought some road side fresh sweet corn that well I am sure it was field corn   
     last few years we did not have a garden been buying of a nephew  
     nothing like a fresh ear(s) of corn  lot of butter and salt and then eat it like it like a old typewriter carriage return  :)