In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

A very good product doing as advertised

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
BEHR, solid color water proofing solid color paint and stain.  10 year warranty on decks 25 years on vertical surfaces.
I am painting the T-111 siding on my work shop, the deer blind and the rough sawn cat barn slab siding.  It is a mix of OLD wood, 20 year old T-111 and new T-111.  All of it covers very well, the color between new and old wood is perfect.
I use a 18" roller so doing a large area goes FAST.  Two light coats and it all looks like new.  I will let youins' know in 25 years how it holds up but it sure covers the surfaces nice.  $38.00 a gallon, $170.00 for a five gallon pail.
I am very pleased for sure.

Comments

• BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    I use the semi transparent version on the deck. Had pretty good luck with it so far. Bob
  • SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭✭
    Have to give it a try.  The T-111 on my garage is in very sad shape right now.  
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    SW0320 said:
    Have to give it a try.  The T-111 on my garage is in very sad shape right now.  

Some, well most of the T-111 on my work shed is dry and checkered from weather.  I was amazed how well the product soaked into the pores of the wood and covered it.  The instructions say to use two light coats but i used a heavier first coat to let it soak in and a light second coat.  It turned out much better than I had expected.  It gave new life to a building that was starting to look ratty from weather.
  • buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,235 ✭✭✭✭
    I have tried everything on our treated pine deck and seems nothing last over 2 years,no matter what the warranty claims.2 years ago I stripped all the years of stain off with a carbide wheel and belt sander down to bare wood.Had to re-stain it this year.Its in the direct afternoon Carolina sun so probably nothing will stay on it.
  • KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Oh, I thought this thread was about Beer.

Carry on.

• KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

All kidding aside, Behr has an excellent reputation.

I purchased about 8-10 buckets of a product called Rustoleum Rock Solid deck coating, I have yet to apply it. It is water based and needs a Tint color added. Lots of sand in it to fill cracks, from what I understand/read. My deck has been neglected, and I only hope to get a few more years out of it before ripping it all off and doing it correctly.

Previous owner painted it all. (And) Non-galvanized nails were used. (Moron.) I have been waiting for enough paint to peel off so I can proceed. You can't sand it, due to all the nail heads protruding. (I have driven them in repeatedly. It is a waste of time.) If you try and pull them, you get about 1/2" or so with the nail head. You'd go through belts like crazy. Think i am going to hire a local pressure washer to give it a shot before I apply. Inadequate spacing between the boards has also led to debris build up.

Basically a classic example of how NOT to do a deck. 😣😥

• gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭
    GHS Pictograms:SAFETY DATA SHEET SECTION 1 : IDENTIFICATIONProduct Name:BEHR PREMIUM Solid Color Waterproofing Wood Stain & Sealer - RedwoodProduct Code:50330SDS Manufacturer Number:50330Manufacturer Name:BEHR Process CorporationAddress:3400 W. Segerstrom AvenueSanta Ana, CA 92704General Phone Number:(714) 545-7101General Fax Number:(714) 241-1002Customer Service PhoneNumber:(800) 854-0133 ext. 2CHEMTREC:For emergencies in the US, call CHEMTREC: 800-424-9300Canutec:In Canada, call CANUTEC: (613) 996-6666 (call collect)SDS Creation Date:December 06, 2016SDS Revision Date:December 06, 2016(M)SDS Format:SECTION 2 : HAZARD(S) IDENTIFICATIONSignal Word:DANGER.GHS Class:Germ cell mutagenicity. Category 1B.Reproductive toxicity. Category 1B.Eye Irritation. Category 2.Skin Irritation. Category 2.Skin Sensitization. category 1.Hazard Statements:May cause genetic defects.May damage fertility or the unborn child.Causes serious eye irritation.Causes skin irritation.May cause an allergic skin reaction.Precautionary Statements:Obtain special instructions before use.Do not handle until all safety precautions have been read and understood.Avoid breathing dust/fume/gas/mist/vapours/spray.Wash hands thoroughly after handling.Contaminated work clothing should not be allowed out of the workplace.Wear protective gloves/protective clothing/eye protection/face protection.IF ON SKIN: Wash with plenty of water.IF IN EYES: Rinse cautiously with water for several minutes. Remove contact lenses, if present and easyto do. Continue rinsing.IF exposed or concerned: Get medical advice/attention.Specific treatment (see ... on this label).If skin irritation occurs: Get medical advice/attention.If skin irritation or rash occurs: Get medical advice/attention.If eye irritation persists: Get medical advice/attention.Take off contaminated clothing and wash it before reuse.Store locked up.Dispose of contents/container in accordance with Local, State, Federal and Provincial regulations.
    :D
    It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
  • SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    About 12 years ago I used an Olympia product similar to the one you posted about.   A couple of weeks ago I wanted to buy some more to cover a new set of steps and some repaired lattice.   It was no longer sold, I bought this off of the shelf in Navajo Red color.   Seems Home Depot has bought out Olympia paints.   I took an old can to HD and they were able to color match it with an Olympia base that has the same warranty in your post.   Covers well with one coat on most things.  BTW, painting lattice is a PIA.   

What I applied 12 years ago has held up well.   The flat areas  exposed to weather, the tops of rails, the edges of the porch deck (most of the deck is under roof) steps etc need re-coated but the lattice under pinning and side boards are still in good shape.   The steps of course have gotten a coat now and then through the years foot traffic being what it is.