First Time ,,,,, *** Test #1 *** Test #2 *** Test #3

forgemonkeyforgemonkey Member Posts: 20,152 ✭✭✭
edited July 18 in Ask the Experts

^^^^^^ #2 test is leading me to think headspace problems due to making sure the bolt was in battery. ^^^^^^^

A little range time today and this happened. I've never had any problem with this pistol before. 
Two different cartridges, same manufacturer.
Any idea re the problem. I sent a memo to manufacturer, very popular one, waiting on response.

Appears pistol might be firing out of battery,,,

Comments

• XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭
    One must strive to remember that half the ammo sold in this country has been manufactured elsewhere in the world.  Things like credible quality control are just a joke to some.  This looks very much like a case of improperly annealed brass. (brittle)
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭
    Same thing happened to me last week. Shooting a S & W, M & P Compact. That I've owned, for a couple of years. Never had any problems, in the past with this pistol. Many rounds down the barrel. 

The ammo was, NIB, nickel plated, Winchester Expediter. I know they quit making and selling this ammo years ago. I can see why, from my experience with the S & W. The case head blew, and part fouled the firing pin channel. I had to take it home, and free up the firing pin.
  • XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭
    In this country a person can lawyer up to go after a company for a defective product.  Maybe this is just another way for the "anti's' to shut down ammo manufactures and prevent importation. (no ammo, no guns)
    Several months ago one of the shooters at the range I frequent bought a brand new box of trap shells.  Having gone out to shoot his round of trap, he discovered that three of those NEW shells didn't have primers. (not mis-fires, NO primer primer in the shell)  This is something that would NEVER have happened in past years.  NO QC !
  • BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭
    I had that happen with a High Standard and discovered a piece of lead had shaved off a bullet when chambering and was stuck on the face of the slide. It wasn't very big but let the slide close far enough to fire but not support the case head properly. Not sure if that can happen to a Ruger but might be worth a look. Bob
  • waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 272 ✭✭
    edited July 8

I had that problem maybe 10 years ago but not that extreme. Bought a brick of Federal 40grain round nose, they had always worked good for me in the past, I was shooting them in a S&W model 41. I noticed that big portion of the brass was staying in the chamber, checking the brass the back of the brass was bowed out so much as it pushed the bolt back that it deformed the brass to a point that the eject couldn’t grab the rim of the case. I opened up 2 or 3 rounds when I got home, and it looked like they had used way to much primer fixer to the point of the rounds were detonating rather than burning powder. In a bolt action rifle I had no problems with them.

• nononsensenononsense Member, Moderator Posts: 10,395 ******
    These are always fun little brain teasers. ;)
    I find 3 things interesting:
    The number of times under different circumstances that this has happened to members.
    The diverse thinking about the potential cause(s).
    The creeping thoughts of politics and economics which might have an impact.
    Two different cartridges, same manufacturer.
    It wasn't very big but let the slide close far enough to fire but not support the case head properly.

My very first thought was the extraction part of the cycle was occurring too soon which left the case head unsupported. I've seen this in larger caliber semi-autos before.
    In a bolt action rifle I had no problems with them.

The manual extraction/ejection of the bolt action design kind of fits into this. But...

So do the observations about low quality manufacturing, case annealing and lesser QC processes. The functioning of the current social/political fabric runs parallel to this. Fear induced by all of the media not just the liberals, gives rise to the idea of getting 'my part' before the supply fails. Hoarding has become an accepted practice due to the new business model in use by most of the component manufacturers. Shooters overbuy when stock becomes available and then the supply comes to an abrupt halt, leaving many to complain loudly about the lack of attention by the manufacturers. To take advantage of this mindset, the manufacturers increase the speed of production in order to take advantage of the hoarding market by producing just enough more for higher profits from increased sales. But, as pointed out, something has to suffer and QC is it.

Testing both the firearm and the ammunition is the only way to determine what happened. :)

Best.

• waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 272 ✭✭
    edited July 8
    That picture of the brass with the bulged head is how the heads on the brass I was talking about looked. If you have never had that happen before until recent, I don't know how it would be head space, not saying it couldn't be. I once had a Ruger 10-22 I bought new, In fact I still have it, from day one it would have miss fires and the firing pin dent was very shallow, I ended up removing about .007 to .010 thousands off the face of the bolt and from that point on I have never had a miss fire again from light pin strike. I think it would take a lot of rounds fired through a 22 long rifle to pound the bolt face back, if it is even possible. Have you had this problem since you owned this pistol or did it just start? If it has done it since you have owned it, I would then maybe suspect head space problem, if not,  maybe try replacing the extractor, or at least check to make sure it isn't hanging up causing the bolt not to close fully, dirty spring packed with dirt  crud.
  • truthfultruthful Member Posts: 876 ✭✭✭
    Ruger isn't the quality gun maker it was when Bill was in charge.
  • forgemonkeyforgemonkey Member Posts: 20,152 ✭✭✭
    edited July 18
    Finally, the solution was right under my nose,,,,,actually the extractor ‘nose’ !! A minute piece of metal in the extractor recess kept the bolt a few thousands out of battery,,,,,,,Shoots like a new one,,,,, :)
  • nononsensenononsense Member, Moderator Posts: 10,395 ******
    Excellent!
    I'm glad you found the cause. Great sleuthing.
    Best.

This discussion has been closed.