In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Pro Mag magazines=Junk, IMO

grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭
When I got the first one, I gave them the benefit of the doubt. Even after they refused to replace a magazine that jammed every time in two different guns, because I bought it used. The second one wouldn't even stay latched in the well. That did it! I crushed both of them with a hammer. I'll never buy or use any of their products again. 

Comments

• Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,647 ✭✭✭

Pro mag & Triple K are garbage. Mec Gar, Wilson Combat, Chip McCormick are reliable

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited July 2020
    I've had nothing but bad luck with ProMag. In fact, I think some of the first posts I made in ATE was about their 30 round AR magazines and their M14/M1A magazines- all were junk and not even suitable for use as "range" magazines.  The company would have died out 30 years ago, but when the Clinton Crime Bill took effect in 1994, ProMag must have had a million magazine bodies on hand and became the seller of last resort. 
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    ruger41 said:

Pro mag & Triple K are garbage. Mec Gar, Wilson Combat, Chip McCormick are reliable

Your wrong about Triple K. They moved their production out of Mexico, years ago. Big difference! All their mags I have used in recent years have worked. 

Unfortunately their prices now, reflect this. But if you need a obsolete mag, for a pistol that hasn't been made in 75 years. There the only game in town. 
  • Options
    gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭
    I've been tempted  to try Pro Mags, but I've heard that assessment, much to often. I agree with ruger41 and would include Brownells too.
    It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭
    many years ago I bought a few of the pro mags for a mini  14   I did not know better ,at the time I thought a magazine is a magazine and they sell a carp load so must be ok ..
       wrong all thoughts .
     I avoid them completely after that encounter glad I had only bought a couple . the get what you pay for was spot on with ther magazines . maybe there better now but not for me 
  • Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭
    The only pro mags I ever found to work were for the Colt 9mm Ar15 guns we had for range rentals. They were cheap and would last for a couple thousand rounds at which time I would trash them and replace them. I started using them due to the scarcity of Colt mags at the time.
  • Options
    mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭
    I have to say I have a drum for my saiga 410 and it runs flawlessly  but do you remember USA magazines  they were the bottom of the bottom
  • Options
    I've had nothing but bad luck with ProMag. In fact, I think some of the first posts I made in ATE was about their 30 round AR magazines and their M14/M1A magazines- all were junk and not even suitable for use as "range" magazines.  The company would have died out 30 years ago, but when the Clinton Crime Bill took effect in 1994, ProMag must have had a million magazine bodies on hand and became the seller of last resort. 
    Re: Clinton Crime Bill took effect in 1994,
    Two things happened, cheap magazines like ProMag, USA, & Triple K became the only game in town and if you recall everyone's gun collection had a "boating or flood accident" !   B)  

It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,453 ✭✭✭✭
    Wasn't it ProMag who moved their production and HQ out of Colorado when gov. dickinpooper passed the large cap mag ban here??  Went to TX or someplace as I recall.
    That was MagPul
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,586 ✭✭✭✭
    I remember during the Clinton years finding (5) 30 round  Promags for my Mini-14....I was really happy until I tried the first two.
    FTF, FTE......all five became targets as I recall and the remains were thrown into the gun range's recycle bin.... 
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    Wasn't it ProMag who moved their production and HQ out of Colorado when gov. dickinpooper passed the large cap mag ban here??  Went to TX or someplace as I recall.
    Promag were originally in CA, Moved to Phoenix when it got to ugly in CA.

I had the same experience as R. Wright. Their steel 9 mm AR mags work. But the plastic ones are crap. How they are able to stay in business? With everybody bad mouthing them, for good reason. Befuddles me?
  • Options

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Have one for a LC9 and it works fine.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    ruger41 said:

My theory is that Triple K makes one magazine per pistol.  Some poor fellow buys it, finds it doesn't fit and then mails it back for a refund - then it's shipped out to the next poor soul to order one ..... like me.  :(

I've ordered a few Triple K magazines and had 99% bad luck.  To the extent they wouldn't even seat or were defective.  ProMag, some good and some bad.
  • Options
    45forme45forme Member Posts: 948 ✭✭
    Pro Mag is junk.  Never had one work.  I won't buy a magazine with no brand name for fear it is a ProMag.  They should be ashamed of themselves.  Cheap tho...
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    I stay away from them like the plague. 
  • Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,899 ✭✭✭
    Not just you.. truth