In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

anyone else grow up playing Rook??????

hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,169 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2020 in General Discussion
used to sit by the hour and watch my dad, uncles and grampa play, I was maybe 8-10, I was considered to young to play with the men folk and would sit all evening on friday or saturday nights watching them play occasionally going into the kitchen only to be chased out by mom as they were catching up on their gossip and I wasn't allowed to hear that either....... as I got older most of them got to old to play and haven't played in years, doubt most of the younger folks on here even know the game or heard of it

Comments

• Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,941 ✭✭✭✭
    Playing cards was a pastime when I was growing up. It was not just Rook but Spades, hearts and UNO. I believe that the internet has killed a lot of activities. Don
  • Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    Played many game of Rook. Great pass time when riding school bus for an hour each way about 50 plus years ago.
    Local Fire Dept, has a yearly Rook tournament. Might pizz off a liberal when playing the Trump card.
    We like the 180 hand best.
  • Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******

My parents played pinochle with my moms parents when I was a wee lad.

boys against the girls.

Id always watch and learned by watching.

One night when I was about 9, mom was tired and ready to quit so I said that I’d sit in until the game was over.

I got dealt a killer hand.

A double run with a 1000 Aces.

I bid my hand and grandma and I smoked them.

Really pissed my dad and grandpa off big time.

My grandma always remembered that game. 😃

Played uno with my other grandparents.

I played all kinds of rummy and other card games with my moms parents.

Great memories

Played hearts, spades, and euchre in college.

• Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭✭
    In this part of the country the local game is Sheepshead.  Lot of variants.

• Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭
    I learned to count in Rummy playing with my dad. Literally, People on Saturday night got together and had at least one table maybe two at times.
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,649 ******
    a At community college, I majored in Rook.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    No, I am much older.  We played Old Maids, Authors and 5 card stud.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,999 ******
    He Dog said:
    No, I am much older.  We played Old Maids, Authors and 5 card stud.
    ..they weren't really old maids then, they were in their 20's,, 
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭
    as a kid far back as I can remember our family ( uncles cousins aunts in laws and neighbors ) all played poker 5 and 7 card stud draw mostly . the grown ups would start on Friday evening play until Saturday morning then start back Saturday night 
     always a house full of kids and watchers . * note at the time we lived in a three room house and it was small and my family had  6 including my mom dad and us kids ) add in another 7 or 8 adults and assorted kids and most all the adults smoked or chewed it was a fall thru spring ordeal . mostly nickle dime quarter bets ,  doors closed as it was cold out the house was crowded and looked like it was on fire from all the smoke 
           I would not eat lunch at school to save my quarter ( each day )  so I could play not the best idea but the grownups did not mind me and couple other younger cousins playing  , I remember winning 20 or 30 dollars and for a young kid I was weekend rich  B)  ( not the term we used but being PC 
          we mostly sat on the floor as the kitchen table was to small or it may have a rummy game with the kids going on  .
     as I got older the stakes also got larger  we also started going to different relatives houses for the game toward the end we still had quarter, fifty cent, maybe a dollar bids however  20.00 even 50.00 was not uncommon I had a uncle who like to show off :o
       and by then most of us kids had grown up and had jobs ,  
     good side a lot of family bonding and we got to see each other often very rare these days.   strange most all my family brother sister dad uncles cousins  and many of the  players died from cancer later on may they all RIP  ( not really a surprise it was a  a totally smoke filled room how I missed out just luck so far 
        even my wife joined in when we were first married .  but sadly some of the cousins started cheating for lack of better words and show off bids trying to buy a pot we never set a limit as it was family and most knew no one had money to really loose  but it  did in the old family game sad it came to that but it just faded out .
     my dad loved playing cards and fishing the only two real enjoyments I think he had as both were for the most part inexpensive.
       when he was younger he use to go off into the woods in Tennessee for poker games hiding from the law  the  sheriff busted the group one night dad did not have any cards in his hand so they did not get him for playing cards ,, but gave him a 20.00 fine for eyeballing LOL he never got over that made up charge  
    your post about cards gave me a flash back to much simpler times and family and friends long gone from this world 

• Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Yep. Lots of time spent playing Rook. Have not played since 1979.

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,260 ******
    I spent a lot of time playing that game in my growing up years. My wife says she doesn't like the game so I haven't played it in a long, long while.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    gruntled2gruntled2 Member Posts: 560 ✭✭✭
    How about Canasta?
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,777 ✭✭✭✭
    Dominos. Straight, 42, and moon. Born and raised Texan.  
  • Options
    bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭

Yes! I played hookie a lot.

BTW you misspelled "hookie".

My mother, the religous fanatic, said cards in the house were a sin.

I taught my daughter (age 4) to count using a deck of cards as flashcards.

I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • Options
    CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭

That's what the old Norwegian Lutherans played because playing cards is of the devil.

• Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,453 ✭✭✭✭

Pinochle was the main card game that we played 
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭✭

Lots of canasta playedby the adults , several illegal poker houses scattered around . We kids played rummy and gin rummy

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war.....