In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Shopping cart that knows what you’re buying

serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
How long before all the cashiers checkout jobs are History? With more unemployed low skill workers ending up on  Permanently not hirable list.
                                        serf
I t’s the latest attempt by Amazon to shake up the supermarket industry and offer a solution to long checkout lines. The online shopping giant opened a cashier-less supermarket in Seattle that uses cameras and sensors in the ceiling to track what shoppers grab and charge them as they leave. Amazon.com Inc. also has roughly 25 cashier-less convenience stores with similar technology.

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    Quite a number of years ago a bar code company created a system which could analyze your shopping cart and print out your receipt which you paid from. Push your cart to the front of the store, push it through a short Plexiglas 'tunnel' and let the scanners do their job. No checkers or money takers required. Cash, check or charge. This actually went through a testing stage but the percentage of error was just a tad too high to be acceptable. So now the switch is to force you handle your own checkout thus eliminating those checker jobs.
    Best.

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited July 2020
    Quite a number of years ago a bar code company created a system which could analyze your shopping cart and print out your receipt which you paid from. Push your cart to the front of the store, push it through a short Plexiglas 'tunnel' and let the scanners do their job. No checkers or money takers required. Cash, check or charge. This actually went through a testing stage but the percentage of error was just a tad too high to be acceptable. So now the switch is to force you handle your own checkout thus eliminating those checker jobs.
    Best.

I like it.

As it is, I take items off the shelves and put them in my cart. I then remove the items from the cart at the checkout line and put them on a conveyor. The clerk scans the items and then places those same items back into the same cart (or I do it). How inefficient can you get? 

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,294 ******
    I guess this is an upgrade from the cameras they were trying to utilize to track what you put into your cart?
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
     You haven't seen a  upgrade like the one that's coming! If they say it's becomes opaque then they can see both ways and  for somebody who controls this data link then it can be monitored like Google or YouTube does to instill discipline for the users worldwide.
                                    serf

Elon Musk’s 42,000 StarLink Satellites Could Just Save The World?
      But when a device to connect to the outside world becomes contraband, the glass walls become opaque. People realize that walls have been erected to prevent them from seeing other opinions.

• Options
    serf said:
     You haven't seen a  upgrade like the one that's coming! If they say it's becomes opaque then they can see both ways and  for somebody who controls this data link then it can be monitored like Google or YouTube does to instill discipline for the users worldwide.
                                    serf

Elon Musk’s 42,000 StarLink Satellites Could Just Save The World?
      But when a device to connect to the outside world becomes contraband, the glass walls become opaque. People realize that walls have been erected to prevent them from seeing other opinions.

Target has been tracking purchases like this for... well, since their inception. It's what they do.
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options

Target has been tracking purchases like this for... well, since their inception. It's what they do.

How so? I know  merchant stores have/had RFID tracking sensors embedded in expensive items that need be deactivated  after purchase but never saw automatic scanning in the Basket ever happen at Target. Now tracking what you have purchase after being scanned is another whole topic.

serf
  • Options
    serf said:

How so? I know  merchant stores have/had RFID tracking sensors embedded in expensive items that need be deactivated  after purchase but never saw automatic scanning in the Basket ever happen at Target. Now tracking what you have purchase after being scanned is another whole topic.

serf

Target has such complicated algorithms running on folks they know what you will be buying before you do.
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,664 ******
    Grocery shopping is women’s work.