In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

This racoon is a genius!

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
I have set TWO arm traps for him for the past five nights.  He is clever enough to get the marshmallows out of BOTH traps without triggering them!  I have the big marshmallows and tore some in half to stuff along the bottom, how he got them with out triggering the trap is amazing.  I set a box trap for him, he ate the marshmallows, the trap did not trigger because dummy me still had the latch lock hooked open so it could not trigger.
I have pics of him, he comes in, lays around eats ALL my cat food then slowly picks the marshmallows out of the traps and goes on his merry way.
I got the small marshmallows today and will make darn sure tonight is his last raid.  He is way to close to the chicken coop for my comfort.  I thought about painting his back blaze orange and taking him 20 miles down the road but if reports are right he will be back in a week.
This is one HUGE male *, I have to get him before he wipes out the coop.

Comments

• Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    Set the arm trap "hair trigger" and use sardines, more juice the better, he will try to rake more stuff out and wham.
  • Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,910 ✭✭✭✭
    Not going a chicken raiser, can't one build a "*" proof shelter ;)

• Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭
    Butchdog2 said:
    Set the arm trap "hair trigger" and use sardines, more juice the better, he will try to rake more stuff out and wham.

Yep, They go nuts over sardines. Smell brings them in.  Not a better bait. If using steel traps, I set clusters of traps around sardines for the purpose of nabbing more than one and to catch the smart ones.  Many hunt as families in breeding periods so I usually get more than one at a time.
    Live traps, always leave one end closed and put the sardines under the bail pallet. My success rate has been great with these methods.   
  • Options
    spasmcreeksrunspasmcreeksrun Member Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭
    smart as they are it's a shame i cannot get them to do my taxes
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭✭
    I had a picture of a family of racoons on a game camera raiding a deer feeder.One of the had what looked like a freeze brand on its flank with clearly a 4L on it.  Don't know what that would be for.
  • Options

They can, just put down all you made this year and send it all in.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭
    When setting the dog proof traps, I use a dab of canned cat food in the bottom followed by a large marshmallow stuck behind the trigger and then cock the trap.  Putting the marshmallow in front of the trigger usually results in missing Mr. *. About 1/2 our traps are "push/pull" triggers which don't miss many.
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭
      I will gave them a  A for effort they can figure out how to get to food  we have a couple hanging around getting into the cat food buckets  with the lids on and trash can  the one's  with chicken feed they have never bothered our trash or chickens I guess they are well fed with cat food and chicken feed I was going to pop them but wife says no "live trap and haul away" 
     well the haul away part may come to be  ;)
  • Options
    OkieOkie Member Posts: 991 ✭✭✭
    And just think, they are smarter than the Human trying to capture them. If they were trapping you, you would already be a goner.

Shame they cannot run for politicial office or we cannot get someone in the white house swamp area that has a brain that can think as smart or smarter than a RACoon.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭
    Well, quite obviously we can't use the words C_O_C_K or C_O_O_N on this forum.
  • Options
    Tonight he gets hair pin triggers on all three traps, two cans of anchovies split between the traps.  I put marshmallows in each trap too and poured the anchovy juice all over the traps and bait.  If that don't work I will drink coffee Friday all day and stay up with a shotgun to smoke him as he comes into the barn.  My thermal vision is still not here....
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,169 ✭✭✭✭
    don't know for sure Forge, but I think that might kill Bruce instead.......
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Down here racoons that do tax return work will add a few more dependants and deductions and get you many more thousands back in refunds, all on a sharing percentage of course, during tax season they're dancing on every corner drumming up business  :)

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    Can we get him for a moderator around here?  I mean smarter than you, right?

>:)