In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Need Ford Scan Tool Advice: UPDATE

bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2020 in General Discussion
I have a problem with a 2002 Mercury Grand Marquis and I'm planning to purchase a scan tool to use on it but I'm unsure what I need.  ( I also own 2 Crown Vics, 1999 & 2009)
PROBLEM: Driving along, not a care in the world, the engine misses a few times and the Temperature gauge jumps to max, alarms, then returns to normal.  This typically occurs once or twice every few minutes. 
Sometimes however, it occurs more frequently and the engine appears to "shutdown" to a degree. 

TROUBLESHOOTING: Early-on, I replaced the water pump, flushed the engine, replaced the temp sensor and bypassed the low-speed fan controller.  The fan operates.  Even with the temp sensor disconnected the problem still persists.
There is a service bulletin that appears to address this problem and refers to the COP (Coil on Plugs).

PLAN: Purchase a scan tool to monitor and analyze this problem.  I have never used one and from the online descriptions do not know exactly what I am looking for.
I am a retired Electronics Technician and feel I can solve this problem if I can acquire the appropriate test equipment.

I need experts to advise me on the proper tool.  I have read many reviews and have made a few interesting selections.  Can anyone recommend one of these or any other scan tool that  would analyze my engine?
Thanks

iCarsoft New Version FDII

LAUNCH Creader VIII

Bosch 1300 Scan Tool with Enhanced OBD II Capability

I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"

Comments

• MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,735 ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a sticky thermostat
  • Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    Don't these models have more than one temperature sensors? I don't think it's a sticky thermostat or it wouldn't just suddenly jump up in temp and then suddenly cool down.
  • pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,217 ✭✭✭✭
    Not an expert by any measure . That said from my limited experience in diagnostics I expect the Bosch would fit the bill nicely. 
    cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭
    Mobuck said:
    Sounds like a sticky thermostat
    I forgot, First thing I did was replace the thermostat.  My memory is in worse condition than the car.

• dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,935 ✭✭✭✭
    I got a OBD2 bluetooth reader and then bought a good app for my phone. The readers are all about the same. The free apps don't have all you would need. I bought a app for my phone. Peruse the apps and pick the best one for what you are doing. Don
    Don't these models have more than one temperature sensors? I don't think it's a sticky thermostat or it wouldn't just suddenly jump up in temp and then suddenly cool down.
    Someone suggested another sensor, but I can't find it.  That does not mean it doesn't have one.  I also read there could be a coolant level sensor but I don't see one of those either.  I'm currently looking for a shop manual.
    From the service bulletin I got the feeling the alarm is a false alarm.  That is somewhat backed up by the fact I see no symptoms of overheating yet the engine is missing and "shutting down".

• JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,148 ✭✭✭✭
    OBD2 code readers are top notch  ;)

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,682 ✭✭✭✭
      I have a CREADER for when I just want to pull the basics, but like most of the lower end scanner it is limited on what it can do. That, and with it being an '02 the amount of info probably won't be much. With the frequency that it occurs I would say it is most likely electrical.
      I am not a Ford expert but I have been twisting wrenches for a while. Pull codes and let us know what they are, hopefully we can help pinpoint the issue. What engine does it have?
  • RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭

Just because it pops a code does not mean that is the problem.

Exactly what I'm concerned about. I need a scan tool that will diagnose the running engine.

• serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Does the car have an electronic cam shaft sensor? Better to take it to the shop unless it's a spare vehicle and  you can fiddle with and try to save money. Make sure you have road service from your insurance company. Wreckers can cost up to 250.00 dollars in some states, for a tow. Check out Scotty Kilmer on you tube for Best Scanner for the money also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtFCiIUQX0I
                                                              serf

• BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    Have you done anything with the intake manifold? This sounds like a similar condition to what you're describing.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-Hp98jYwYI

With the engine missing, when is the last time the plugs, and COPs were changed? Ford used 2 piece spark plugs in some of their engines, and you'll want to research removal procedure because they tend to break. Watch Fordtechmakuloco's most recent youtube videos on how to get them out.

Beeramid said:
    Have you done anything with the intake manifold? This sounds like a similar condition to what you're describing.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-Hp98jYwYI

With the engine missing, when is the last time the plugs, and COPs were changed? Ford used 2 piece spark plugs in some of their engines, and you'll want to research removal procedure because they tend to break. Watch Fordtechmakuloco's most recent youtube videos on how to get them out.

I just bought this car a couple months ago and haven't a clue if it has ever had a tune-up.  I fixed a few minor problems and just replaced the air suspension.  I hope this, missing/heat spike is my last issue.  Its such a nice old car.

Its odd but for some reason when I was reasoning through this problem something said "manifold" problem.  I don't know why I thought that. 
    I did replace the sensor and the problem remained.  When I disconnected the sensor and drove the car the temp went to minimum and never came up (as expected) but I still got the momentary temp spikes.  I shall investigate this a little deeper. 
    Plastic manifold, sheesh! 

The plug replacement videos make me think I may let the dealer do this.  Good info!
    Thanks
    serf said:
                                                              serf
    I like Scotty but he talks so fast I'm tired for 2 days from just watching his vid.

Update:9/1/20

I bought the Bosch 1300 Scan Tool.  Very nice.  Easy to use.

I tried it on all my vehicles to get familiar with the functions.

When I ran it on the Mercury, it said I had a #6 injector and a #7 injector problem but nothing about the phony over-temp alarms.  After further research, it appears a problem with the injectors could cause momentary over-temp alarms.

The tech at the Ford garage confirmed my findings and said the coils were the actual source of the problems.  He seemed impressed that I suggested the over-temp problem may be related to the injector problem because, as it turns out it was directly related. 

$600 later the injector/coil problems were fixed and the momentary over-temp alarm is gone as well!

For you mechanics, file this away somewhere in the recesses of your mind for when you buy an old Mercury. 

Thanks for the interest, information and suggestions.

• 4205raymond4205raymond Member Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Had a 1500 Chevy years ago that i put a water pump in. Drove me nuts, intermitten temp rise. Thought it was a  faulty thermostat. Turns out was undersized impeller in water pump causing coolant to cavitate (sp).

Woops day late dollar short. See you solved your problem.

Was the undersized impeller a mfr mistake?

That kind of a problem gives me fits. I rely on logic to heavily.

• 4205raymond4205raymond Member Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭✭

Was the undersized impeller a mfr mistake?

That kind of a problem gives me fits. I rely on logic to heavily.

Yep, water pump was OEM.