In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

MLE 1890 Chatellerault MAC 1893 Ser# A (maybe) 13897

asopasop Member Posts: 8,910 ✭✭✭✭
Neighbor gave me this last week.  Was owned by her departed husband who I was close with.  Has 2 clips that she said her husband got from some guy in France years ago!  Pretty good shape.  Anyone know anything about these or value?  Thanks 

Comments

• Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    Replaced the French Lebel, chambered in 8mm Lebel, they were still in use into the 1960's in Indochina.  Haven't seen any prices lately, kinda surprised what they want for them.

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    Most of the early ones. According to my reference, "Rifles of the World", by J. Walter. Were made, in the Saint-Etienne arsenal. That you have one made, in the Chatellerault arsenal in  1893. Might increase it's value to a collector?

Contact that guy, who posts the gun videos on U Tube, ( Forgotten Weapons).  He collects French weapons and has written a book about their history. He if anybody, could give you the straight skinny on your Berthier. You might have lucked out, and got yourself a sleeper?
  • Options
    Much appreciated.  Learned alot from  his video.  Going to mail him photos and info I can get off the firearm.  Thanks again
  • Options
    I sent him photos and info I had. He told me that I had a 1890 Cavalry Berthier carbine second variation as the bottom mounted sling swivel had been replaced with a sling bar in the side of the stock.   It has a ZW mark on the stock which indicates that it had been given to Poland as military aid.  He said it was probably made in either 1890 or 1891.  The 1893 barrel date indicates it was rebarreled in that year.  He went on to say that this was not common but in all probability saw alot of heavy use.  I asked what he thought any value might he but he didn't reply!   
    Hope this may help in determining a value??   Thanks