School me, please ,,,,,

Need recommendations on a ‘manual’ powder dispenser for stick powders. One that doesn’t jam when dumping the charge due to cutting the stick granules. 
I’m not a fan of electric scale/dispenser,,,,,,, using a manual RCBS now.

Comments

• danielgagedanielgage Member Posts: 9,581 ✭✭✭
    here is your chance Montana Joe school the professor
  • forgemonkeyforgemonkey Member Posts: 20,152 ✭✭✭
    here is your chance Montana Joe school the professor
    I’m so far ahead of him, I’m lonesome  !!!  :D
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭
    "One that doesn’t jam when dumping the charge due to cutting the stick granules. "............................nature of the beast, get used to it  ;-)  (don't 'limp wrist' it)  
    "One that doesn’t jam when dumping the charge due to cutting the stick granules. "............................nature of the beast, get used to it  ;-)  (don't 'limp wrist' it)  
     ;)  ,,,,,,Mike, when it jams I get inconsistent powder weight(s) ,,,,,, frustrating !!
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭
    ",Mike, when it jams I get inconsistent powder weight(s)".................some time back a fella here couldn't figure out why you can't measure larger 'stick' powders by volume............it just don't work that way. like trying to measure a big pile of telephone  poles by volume. I 'throw' a slightly smaller charge into the scale pan and them 'bump' it up with a powder trickler. or go to 'ball powders.
  • OkieOkie Member Posts: 240
    ",Mike, when it jams I get inconsistent powder weight(s)".................some time back a fella here couldn't figure out why you can't measure larger 'stick' powders by volume............it just don't work that way. like trying to measure a big pile of telephone  poles by volume. I 'throw' a slightly smaller charge into the scale pan and them 'bump' it up with a powder trickler. or go to 'ball powders.
    If you find one that does not cut stick powders and ALWAYS dumps a desired charge, Please let us know.

In meantime do as suggested above. (bump it up with a trickler)
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 10,857 ✭✭✭
    I have an electronic scale/dispenser combo it handles Varget fine, usually stays with in a tenth of grain on its own......
    edited July 27
    “ If you find one that does not cut stick powders and ALWAYS dumps a desired charge, Please let us know. “

Took the RCBS apart,,,,,,,,,,, put a ‘radius’ on the cutting-edge of the of the ‘measuring cylinder’ (just the cutting edge). Twenty ‘throws’ with only one hesitation, and minimal at that, and the charges are within minimum error.,,,,,,,,,,,I’m a happy camper.   :)     YMMV
  • NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 12,162 ✭✭✭
    You and your Dremel...
    Good thinkin', Forge!
  • Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 845 ✭✭✭
    When I first started hand loading I use a RCBS rotary powder dispenser. Used stick powder and had no issues, I weighted charges often. The trick is to develop a uniform method of using the measure the same with ever drop. I bumped the handle twice to fill measure then bumped it twice to empty. The bumping seemed to settle the grains so there was very little cutting if any.
    I use an electronic measure now but I still weigh the charges often. Not much room for error with something that can blow your head off.
  • 62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭
    The only help, if you have to use extruded stick powder is the "SSC" types.  The short cut makes them more like ball powder, but you will still get some gritting on the throw.