The DREADmill

Flying Clay DiskFlying Clay Disk Member Posts: 34,472 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 30 in General Discussion
So I need to get on the "DREAD"mill and be more active aerobically so I'm not such a fat bastage.  I'm not really fat, but I could lose some poundage and get more mobile.
Does anyone have a getting started routine?  Everything I read on the interwebz has you starting at like 60 minutes on a 25% incline until your heart shoots out of your chest!  I think most of the people who write this stuff do it for revenge!  My goal is NOT to climb Mt. Everest in September, and I do NOT plan on running the Boston Marathon anytime soon!  I'd just like a ramp up routine from ground zero. 
All these internet wizards think you're 25 years old, just 4 pounds overweight (with 4% body fat and not 3%) and 6 months out of being on an Olympic track team.  Does anyone have a routine for a old fat guy who's 58 years old, is 4 pounds shy of being 40 pounds overweight, and can't even remember the name of anyone on an Olympic track team  (who didn't change sexes, and become an idiot)?????
Seems like no matter who you consult (doctors, I'm looking at YOU!), the answer you get back is a very stern..."well, you need to be doing 60 minutes of cardio every day where your heart rate doesn't drop below 45,000 bpm and you have a heart attack and a stroke after every workout!"  Well, I'm not doing that!!  Period!
I actually had a cardiologist tell me once, when I expressed some concern about what they were asking me to do, "Well, you won't have a heart attack and die on our property, that's for sure!  You might have a heart attack in the car on the way home, but you won't die here!!"  I think he thought he was being cute/clever/funny, but I was less than amused!  I told him as much, and he just left.  (a.s.s. wipe)
I could go on, but I won't.
We have a good "dread"mill which I bought for the wife.  It's a high end NordicTrak, and it does all sorts of stuff, but I just want to know what's the best way to start.  (??)
Today, I did about 15 minutes at 10 degrees incline and 3 mph.  Gosh, I was sweating.  I'm so out of shape.
<sigh>

Comments

• medic07medic07 Member Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭
    Start at a pace that increases your heart rate above what it is when you started on the machine.  Increase the time by 5 minutes every week.  30 mins of cardio is a good target.  If at any time you feel light headed or chest pains...STOP.  And drink water after, not before.
  • Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 866 ✭✭✭
    Please listen to me. spend a few dollars and find a GOOD trainer that knows what they are doing. And I strongly suggest something beside a stupid treadmill. HIT workouts with kettlebells will be must faster and much more interesting. I don't know where you are but there may be a certified kettle bell instructor near you. It will be worth your time to find them. Spending hours on treadmills sucks and a good twenty minute KB workout will do you better. Google Tabata and HIT workouts. Believe me they work. But the real battle is won or lost in the kitchen. You can not train enough to make up for a bad diet. Good luck!!! Losing weight is really very simple but not easy.
  • Flying Clay DiskFlying Clay Disk Member Posts: 34,472 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30
    Thanks!  That's reasonable. 
    Never any chest pains, but I do get skipped beats now and again.  Only time I felt light headed was when I stopped, kind of like getting off of a boat on dry land.  Old treadmills I was used to had no power, and you had to learn how to walk/run on them under your own power.  So this was the first I was on which was powered.  2mph was too slow, and 3mph is my usual fast walking speed.  I settled on 2.7 mph for my first time.
    I liked it actually. 
    I'm trying to be better.
    ETA - Resting heart rate is about 67.  Oxygen is about 95.  After 15 minutes, my heart rate was at about 77-79, which is elevated but not much.  Oxygen was up to about 98.  Did a (portable) ECG and got a good rhythm afterwards.  "Normal"  Nothing weird.  Saved the trace.  Next time I think I'll wear the oximeter, because the heart rate thing on the machine is WAY off.
  • Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 845 ✭✭✭
    Don't do the mill, go nuclear. You will thank me later.
    Had em both. Mill don't take long if you heart is operating properly.
    What does that mean???  "Nuclear"

• us55840us55840 Member Posts: 30,968 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30
    STOP OVER EATING!  DON'T SNACK AND NO SODA POP!  A little exercise is OK too.

Snack or eat hard boiled eggs.  It takes more energy to digest a hard boiled egg than you get out of the egg!
     :) 
    "This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it." Abraham Lincoln
  • Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭
    I've found that those treadmills make a good place to hang you cloths shortly after you get over the urge to get in shape.
    Nuclear test is when the doctor runs you through a Gamma Camera, sort of like a MRI machine. First trip is to take a picture of you heart at rest. Next step is they give you a radioactive dye in into the blood stream. Run you back through the machine while giving you a drug that makes you arteries think they are on a tread mill, that is the best I can describe it.
    No near death like on a treadmill. Might have a tad bit of tightness in you chest but only for a second or 2.
    The second trip shows the blood flow weather good or bad. Not to scare you but I do know a person who had a heart attack while on the mill. My heart doctor saved my life. No heart attack but the Nuc test showed a major blockage on the ole widow maker.
    FYI I have had two on the mill and 2 on the donnut.
  • William81William81 Member Posts: 20,648 ✭✭✭
    Wear good walking/running shoes.....
    edited July 30
    us55840 said:

Snack or eat hard boiled eggs.  It takes more energy to digest a hard boiled egg than you get out of the egg!

Yeah.. you're THAT guy!!  LOL!!
    Let me guess...eat ditch-weed "KALE" ground up in tofu and fairy dust, swear off butter, sausages and never eat red meat again!  Right?  Rice is bad, unless it's that brown rice crap, cereal is bad unless it tastes awful.  Thou shall not ever salt anything.  Flavor is your worst enemy!  Nothing other than chicken breasts cooked dry and fava beans...one glass of wine per...year.
    Right?? 
    Straight (sour) yogurt on a "splurge" day with an unsalted butter and some skim milk...right?

ETA - I'm thinkin' I'll take a dirt-nap before that!!
    Doc say if it tastes good spit it out
    Butchdog2 said:
    Doc say if it tastes good spit it out

Roger that!  And if it tastes nasty...eat it!!  It's good for you!!!
    That's they're whole thing....to get you to eat ditch weeds and lean rodents, else you DIE!!
    STOP...even "genetically modified plant material"!
    Soylent Green, anyone???
    How foolish are we, children????
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member Posts: 19,636 ✭✭✭✭
    Remember, a waist is a terrible thing to mind.
  • redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,013 ✭✭✭
    High protein, low carb diet will help. Biggest issue you need to watch is calories in vs. calories out.
  • Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 6,302 ✭✭✭
    When I was diagnosed with diabetes, I was also having TIA's. I went through a battery of tests at 4 different hospitals and they still couldn't tell what was causing the TIA's. Then I got signed up for diabetic classes at the local hospital. They had a chart on the wall that showed A1C rankings. The chart went as high as 12.0, My A1C was 14.5. That got my attention more than anything else.
    She told me I needed to go on a diet and exercise daily. So I went on a low carb diet, counting the carbs and keeping track of them. I was allowed 65 carbs per meal, plus 1 snack. When I started, I weighed 213 pounds. 3 months later I was back down to my HS weight of 150 and actually got down to 146 before I realized that was too low.
    I walked 2 miles a day and used my Weider Pro weight bench to do 10 different exercises. I not only felt a lot better, I started to look pretty buff. I still walk 2 miles a day and use my weight workout several times a week. My heart rate is always in the low 50's even today.

Good luck with your program, it's easy to slack off, and it takes discipline to keep doing it, but it's worth it.

• SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 14,247 ✭✭✭
    Just do what you can and increase it on a schedule.   For example add a minute a day until you're up to 30 minutes.   Varying speed is useful.   Walk along at what is comfortable, (brisk comfortable not dawdle comfortable), then increase the speed for 2 to 3 minutes, enough to make the heart rate climb and the sweat to flow.  Slow down to comfortable for a few minutes and repeat.  You can do the same thing with the incline or both speed and incline.    The steady walking will keep your heart moving at a decent clip and the burst will tax it.   If your doing 20 minutes of increased heart rate cardio 4 to 5 times a week you'll see a difference.  If you want to add on to that that's great.

I need to follow my own advice. 
  • GeriGeri Member Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭
    Read Dr. Jason Fung's book, THE OBESITY CODE.  Helped myself and wife.
  • DPHMINDPHMIN Member Posts: 679 ✭✭✭

I always found a treadmill to be easy to quit walking on. For me, walking down the road until I get tired works better, because then I have to walk back.

• Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 10,676 ✭✭✭
    Somebody said that 60 minutes at a 25% incline is how to START? Start what? Your funeral?
    That's nucking futs.
    Start by walking, no incline. Do one mile at a comfortable 2.5 to 3.0 mph every day. After a week, up that to half an hour. When you're walking two miles in 40 minutes or so, up the speed and/or the incline a tad. At your (meaning OUR) age, forget full running speed. Just walk.
    That's my winter routine to keep up my golf legs and keep down my weight. It works just fine. For upper body, get some resistance bands and work with them. For flexibility, look into tai chi. It's wonderful.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 6,436 ✭✭✭✭

You'uns just need a spoiled rotten dog. "I wanna go out front. Now I want back in. Now I wanna go out back. There may be something going on out there. Now I want in. Now I wanna rough house. Now I wanna be fed. Now I'm gonna need to go back out front because I just ate." Repeat ad nauseum.

It's a good thing I Love the goofy Bassturd.

Extreme NE TN/W NC ya'll. 😁

• bpostbpost Member Posts: 30,803 ✭✭✭
    Screw the treadmill.  Go for a walk instead.  Bring your favorite rifle and a 10-20 pound pack on your back with plenty of water handy.  Start with a mile and work up from there.  Why look at a wall when you might see some exciting critter or just enjoy nature.  On crappy days hit the treadmill and suck it up
    Why?  Because when it's 100 degrees outside I don't feel like walking two miles with my favorite rifle a 10-20 pound pack on my back and plenty of water handy!
    :D
    us55840 said:

Yeah.. you're THAT guy!!  LOL!!
    Let me guess...eat ditch-weed "KALE" ground up in tofu and fairy dust, swear off butter, sausages and never eat red meat again!  Right?  Rice is bad, unless it's that brown rice crap, cereal is bad unless it tastes awful.  Thou shall not ever salt anything.  Flavor is your worst enemy!  Nothing other than chicken breasts cooked dry and fava beans...one glass of wine per...year.
    Right?? 
    Straight (sour) yogurt on a "splurge" day with an unsalted butter and some skim milk...right?

ETA - I'm thinkin' I'll take a dirt-nap before that!!
    Sorry bud ......you be 1,000% WRONG!
    I eat lots of red meat, bread and butter ... REAL BUTTER, real cheeze, potatoes, rice, and most every thing else...none of the so-called "healthy food" for me.
    I don't smoke and I don't drink booze or that nasty colored vinegar called wine.  Yogurt - I wouldn't feed to a dead chicken!!  Nasty stuff.
    Been a couple of times when my pants got to darn tight, went on a toast, coffee and hard boiled egg diet for several weeks and slimmed down nicely.
    My choice .......... if you don't want to or don't think so, no big deal to me.
    Carry on.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it." Abraham Lincoln
  • Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭
    Get a push mower and get your exercise while you do something worth while instead of walking or running in place. The bigger the lawn the better. 
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 30,803 ✭✭✭
    100 degrees plus is the perfect time to hike your butt off!  Make that pack 50 pounds and slim down (or die) fast! B)
  • chmechme Member Posts: 354 ✭✭✭
    A word in defense of .... kale.  Yes, I eat kale.  Boiled with a bit of ham.  Served with BBQ'd ribs, black eyed peas, taters-n-onions, and a cast iron skillet of cornbread.  Bit of fine diced Vidalia onion on the kale, and a few drops of apple cider vinegar.  That was Sunday dinner where I grew up.  Kale has a milder flavor that turnip greens or mustard.   
    chme said:
    A word in defense of .... kale.  Yes, I eat kale.  Boiled with a bit of ham.  Served with BBQ'd ribs, black eyed peas, taters-n-onions, and a cast iron skillet of cornbread.  Bit of fine diced Vidalia onion on the kale, and a few drops of apple cider vinegar.  That was Sunday dinner where I grew up.  Kale has a milder flavor that turnip greens or mustard.   
    Never heard of kale until worked with a fellow from down south.
    A few weeks ago, saw some in a local grocery store......green leafy stuff .... don't eat rabbit food...or stuff that swims in the water either.
    Kale and chard is one of the most perfect foods, right along with butter peeecan ice cream
  • armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,131 ✭✭✭
    I've got one that sits in the basement unused and since I got furloughed back on March 15 I've been pretty much unused as well.