PORCUPINE!!! Dang It!!

Flying Clay DiskFlying Clay Disk Member Posts: 34,472 ✭✭✭✭
Dogs alerted and just HAD to go outside.  I knew better, but the wife overruled me.
Welp, the ACD came back unscathed (he probably knew to leave little critters alone after getting skunked at point blank range last year), but the Aussie Shepard came back with a face full of porcupine quills!
I didn't even know we had porcupines around here!
I keep trying to tell the wife, if there's trouble, those two will find it...especially early in the morning (like now).
Gettin' those things out is a real chore, and the dog is none too happy about it either!

Comments

• Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 18,545 ✭✭✭

sorry to hear has to terrible to pull the quills out and painful

Glad we do have them skunks we do have last dog sprayed about two years ago direct shot in the face

• Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 18,545 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2

Doubled on my phone

• Flying Clay DiskFlying Clay Disk Member Posts: 34,472 ✭✭✭✭
    Man, the ones inside of his mouth are almost impossible to get out!
    I was holding that dog down with my entire 270 lb weight, and had the wife manning a pair of surgical clamps, all while trying to hold his mouth open, and he could still throw me off of him.
  • Flying Clay DiskFlying Clay Disk Member Posts: 34,472 ✭✭✭✭
    And man-o-man, those things are stuck in there good too!
    I guess I should consider myself lucky though, he must have jumped back pretty fast because he only got about two dozen quills.  I've seen pictures of way worse (and don't want to see any more pictures, thank you).
    Right on the end of his nose and mouth, plus inside his mouth too.
  • Nanuq907Nanuq907 Member Posts: 119 ✭✭
    Ouch!!!  Man I feel for you, and the pooch.  We've had one hanging around the house for a couple months.  Dog came back with half a dozen in her shoulder and that's enough for me.  The porcupine is going down hard.  Lead poisoning.

• KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 6,436 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 3

Sorry about your dog.

Extreme NE TN/W NC ya'll. 😁

• yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 19,103 ✭✭✭
    Are the quills up for give aways? I hear porcupines are kind a tasty.
  • dunbarboyzdunbarboyz Member Posts: 734 ✭✭
    Had one under my truck and didn't want to run it over in the driveway. Tried to push it out with a rake, hand slipped one quill went through my finger. Pulled it all the way through can't image going against the barbs.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭
    I have heard that pulling those barbs out is really bad news.  Knock on wood my mutts have never gotten nailed by a porcupine.   I don't think we have 'em around here, never have seen one.
  • gartmangartman Member Posts: 534 ✭✭✭
    Take the dog to a vet. The dog can be "knocked out" making pulling quills much easier for you and the dog.
  • ChrisStreettChrisStreett Member Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭
    edited August 3
    The damn things are multiplying like rabbits in Northern Pa. peeling the bark off many of the young trees and generally making a pain in the hind parts out of themselves. I understand they're a protected species up there. With the damage they're doing the herd needs to be thinned significantly. I hear a very quiet .22 pistol w/sub-sonics is effective. They sure can be brutal to a dog. Hope your critter heals up ok.
    "...dying ain't much of a living boy"-Josey Wales
  • KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 6,436 ✭✭✭✭

All my prior Service Buds and I were the sponsors and overseers of the rebuild refurbishment of the Balsam Lake Mountain Firetower in the Catskills. NY State Volunteer DEC. (In uniform while at the Firetower.) We spent many, many weekends up there after having pretty much rebuilt the place. Porcupines were everywhere and in abundance.

Just West of the area you are talking about Chris.

Extreme NE TN/W NC ya'll. 😁

• kimikimi Member Posts: 44,222 ✭✭✭
    Dogs alerted and just HAD to go outside.  I knew better, but the wife overruled me.
    Welp, the ACD came back unscathed (he probably knew to leave little critters alone after getting skunked at point blank range last year), but the Aussie Shepard came back with a face full of porcupine quills!
    I didn't even know we had porcupines around here!
    I keep trying to tell the wife, if there's trouble, those two will find it...especially early in the morning (like now).
    Gettin' those things out is a real chore, and the dog is none too happy about it either!
    Like the stories you tell, but wish you the best on helping the Aussie!
    What's next?
  • pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭

Thankful that we don’t have them , or the skunks , around here . Sure sounds like a pest

Life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful