In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

It is official

Comments

• Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    I've already been on the rocks for several months. 

• Options
    bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭
    Not a good place to be.

If I remember correctly...The Princess May ran aground on Sentinel Island in Lynn Canal, Alaska in 1910 after departing from Skagway.  All passengers were safely off-loaded onto another ship and the Princess May was later re-floated.

However, The Princess Sophia following the same route in 1918 ran aground on Vanderbilt Reef.  A total of 364 souls were lost with the only survivor being a dog.  Juneau was innunidated with the bodies and the steamboat company promptly recovered the safe but none of the bodies that were trapped in the wreckage.
    Years ago I wrote the story of the Princess Sophia for a small publication.  Here is the closing paragraph:

"By 1918, disaster was old hat to Americans.  First there was the sinking of the Titanic, then the crash of the Hindenburg, and of course The War to End All Wars, now known as World War 1.   Alaska was separated by many miles from the rest of the world so few people were aware, or even interested in, an Alaskan disaster.  This was the age before instant communications; no television, no radio, and no radar.  The only long-range communications were by telegraph and wireless also known as “cable.”  Few people today recall the sinking of the Princess Sophia and very little is recorded as a lasting reminder.  Who knows what treasures of the goldfield still lie amongst the spirits near Vanderbilt Reef?"

I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • Options
    4205raymond4205raymond Member Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Just think if this were 1918 no mass media of any kind. Shucks I bet the Pandemic would be over by now and some of us would not even know we had one. Aye the good old days.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    Not a good place to be.

If I remember correctly...The Princess May ran aground on Sentinel Island in Lynn Canal, Alaska in 1910 after departing from Skagway.  All passengers were safely off-loaded onto another ship and the Princess May was later re-floated.

However, The Princess Sophia following the same route in 1918 ran aground on Vanderbilt Reef.  A total of 364 souls were lost with the only survivor being a dog.  Juneau was innunidated with the bodies and the steamboat company promptly recovered the safe but none of the bodies that were trapped in the wreckage.
    Years ago I wrote the story of the Princess Sophia for a small publication.  Here is the closing paragraph:

"By 1918, disaster was old hat to Americans.  First there was the sinking of the Titanic, then the crash of the Hindenburg, and of course The War to End All Wars, now known as World War 1.   Alaska was separated by many miles from the rest of the world so few people were aware, or even interested in, an Alaskan disaster.  This was the age before instant communications; no television, no radio, and no radar.  The only long-range communications were by telegraph and wireless also known as “cable.”  Few people today recall the sinking of the Princess Sophia and very little is recorded as a lasting reminder.  Who knows what treasures of the goldfield still lie amongst the spirits near Vanderbilt Reef?"

I'm not much for history. Butt you'r almost 20 years off, with the Hindenburg. It actually caught fire, than crashed in the late 30's. In Lakehurst, New Jersey. Lakehurst was still a active military base in the 1960's. They would let us on, to hunt deer. But the Hindenburg, was long gone by then.
  • Options
    Aztngundoc22Aztngundoc22 Member Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭
    OK : 
    I resemble that statement !!!! lol
    Thanks !!
    The more people I meet : The more I like my Dog :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I Grew Old Too Fast (And Smart Too damn Slow !!!) !!! :o :?
  • Options
    bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭
    rufe-snow said:
    I'm not much for history. Butt you'r almost 20 years off, with the Hindenburg. It actually caught fire, than crashed in the late 30's. In Lakehurst, New Jersey. Lakehurst was still a active military base in the 1960's. They would let us on, to hunt deer. But the Hindenburg, was long gone by then.
    I stand corrected.  You are absolutely right.   I wonder where I got that....   Sinking of the Lusitania comes to mind. 
    Maybe I confused the two?

Did you get any deer while hunting there?

I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"