In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Idaho, Montana Wyoming Guys -

KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2020 in General Discussion

My Son and his Girlfriend in your neck of the woods. 8/6 Camping Victor, ID. 8/7-8 Camping at Jenny Lake Campground. Hiking in the Grand Tetons, canoeing on Jenny Lake. 8/9 Camping at Rainbow Point Campground in MT. outside West gate of Yellowstone. 8/10-11 Camping in Yellowstone. 8/12-13 Air B&B in Rigby, ID. (Craters of the Moon on the way there.) 8/14 pack up and back to Golden, CO.

He/they are using a crapload of my Hiking/backpacking/camping gear. I hooked my Son up with about $8K of high end equipment a few years back when he started guiding/leading Outdoor Adventure trips out West. $10K+ if you include the 2 Kayaks and gear I gave him.

I am Jealous.

Comments

• Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭
    Is that gonna be a problem??
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,170 ✭✭✭✭
    you want them to get it back for ya???????  
  • Options

Sorry. I have to post a few words and then come back and edit/add tge gist of the post.

Have been having some weird software/internet problem, where my intended post locks up every single time If I stay on "New Discussion" more than 1-2 minutes.

They are in a Dark Blue LL Bean Subaru Outback.

Camping in my/his bright yellow NF VE-25 dome. 90% (easy) of the rest of his crap used to be mine. Packs, bags, pads, stoves, lantern, etc. etc. I hooked the boy up before he moved out West.

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,651 ******
    I, too, am envious. Sounds like a great road trip.
  • Options

Nah hillbille, I'm just glad all my old high end gear is getting used and dusted off every now and then. Proud of the Boy.

Miss traveling around, camping/backpacking/climbing/mountaineering/kayaking/canoeing etc. Without a care in the World when I was younger. He grew up traveling on trips with me, has taken it up on his own. Sez, "All my best memories growing up, were with you out in the boonies on trips we took." Makes me very happy.

• Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,638 ✭✭✭✭
    "They are in a Dark Blue LL Bean Subaru Outback."
    Good thing they're not in Oregon.  There's about 20 billion cars that match that description here!
  • Options

I heard you Neo, just like CO. where they live.

The LL Bean version is 5" longer, 2" wider, has a 6cyl. not a 4, upgraded wheels, electronics/stereo and sunroof, interior, AWD. Prob. one of the top ten vehicles ever put on the road.

My Brother, my Sister and I all went in together and helped him buy it a couple years ago. Trying to help him out, when his last Subaru wagon that He and I went in together & bought him about 4-5 years ago crapped out after about 2-3 years.

• Options
    susiesusie Member Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭✭

Ah, the memories. Trip to Yellowstone in 2018. Unplanned stop in Laramie. Another long story. Thank goodness for dual axle campers. And no, it wasn't a flat.

Anywho, that is some of the most beautiful of God's country. The kids and I plan on returning when we can stay longer. One week just wasn't enough time.

• Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,176 ✭✭✭✭
    It's good they're not camping down here in the deep South, it was 102* yesterday under my shade tree with very high humidity  :s, it didn't take me long to go back inside to the a/c climate  :) . Tell them we said to enjoy themselves and we're envious.

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    Maybe if you'd spent some of that 10K on modern internet communication equipment/services.......
  • Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Friend of mine crossed the Bear Tooth highway couple days ago, got snowed on.
  • Options
    Nanuq907Nanuq907 Member Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭✭
    Boy am I jealous.  My dad was born and raised in Yellowstone, his mom was the first lady Ranger in America, and her pappy was the first Superintendent there.  Wish I was along on their trip!  Are they up for some hiking?  There's something I'd like them to go check for me.  It's all day to get there and back on foot, but worth it.
  • Options
    Fun!  When you pass through Tower Falls look for the Ranger Station.  It's surrounded by BIG fir trees, my grandmother planted those the week she brought my dad home from being born.
  • Options

I had bought and accumulated all that gear over the course of many years when I worked in the Outdoor Industry.

Where I live, the only option is Satellite internet. (And) People are less than pleased with the service and cost. Terrain kills most every other signal where I live. (Deep In a holler with mountains all around.)

I'm okay with the trade off.

• Options

I read and post on a Samsung Verizon 4g dedicated Tablet. The terrain where I live kills my reception. Couple Mountains between me and the closest tower. Once I get out of the holler, things greatly improve.

For how much Dish TV kills me for "service," I'm not paying them one more dime. Satellite goes out if it even Looks like rain. I've never seen a Hughes truck anywhere around here. It's "Centurylink" and they have a horrible reputation.

• Options
    discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭
    do they realise the yellowstone grizzly bears favor the back packing tents>  think of them as soft taco shells :open_mouth:
  • Options

I have warned my Son about the people acclimated Bears in Yellowstone. Having been a Backcountry guide, my Son is savvy about it all. He has hiked, backpacked, climbed, kayaked, etc. all over out West.

I still worry though.

Had a dream last night about a Grizzly slicing open a tent with its claws.

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,170 ✭✭✭✭

Had a dream last night about a Grizzly slicing open a tent with its claws.

awww that was just ricci with his serrated knife he found under the fridge, while he was wearing his fuzzy speedooooos.........
  • Options
  • Options
    edited August 2020

Montana guys, Madison Arm Lake - last night and tonight. Then back to Idaho.

Pictures, (about 75) have been phenominal. Super jealous of the trip, and Outdoor experience.

In addition to all the gear, I hooked him up with a State of the Art backpacking battery operated speaker system (digital I Go.) you connect to a waterproof MP3 player. (All my own stuff.) Said they have been loving it.

That makes me really happy.

Camping in a NF VE-25 I hooked him up with, as well as a ton of other gear. Glad it is getting used.

• Options

Today and tomorrow a remote cabin in Rigby, ID to finish off the trip.

Good times.

Phenomenal pictures, they are both talented photographer's.

I will see if I can post a few, but a recent Chrome "update" screwed me. Judging by the complaints on the Chrome update site feedback a lot of people are not too happy with this upgrade.