Significance of "1,312"???

Flying Clay DiskFlying Clay Disk Member Posts: 34,684 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 7 in General Discussion
Somehow or other, while surfing around on the webz, I got into researching container ships (long story). 
In the process I noticed that all of the largest container ships in the world are all exactly 1,312 feet long.
Does anyone know the significance of "1,312" feet? 
Could it be the size of the locks in the Panama Canal?  There must be some constraint which defines maximum length.
ETA - I just looked at the Panama Canal and it states the maximum boat length to be 1,200 feet, so that's not it.  1,312 feet is too big for the Panama Canal, so it must be something else.

Comments

• Flying Clay DiskFlying Clay Disk Member Posts: 34,684 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 7
    Turns out, the reason is 1,312 feet is the maximum length which can make it through the Straights of Malacca in SE Asia between Malaysia and Indonesia.  I did not know there was a max size through that straight.  Now I have to look up why.

• jimdeerejimdeere Member Posts: 19,842 ✭✭✭✭
  • Flying Clay DiskFlying Clay Disk Member Posts: 34,684 ✭✭✭✭
    Interestingly, there is even a term for it; it's called a 'MalaccaMax', and it looks to have to do with depth more than anything else.  The general maximum length and depth published for a MalaccaMax is 1,092 feet and a max depth of 67.3 feet, but the VLCC ships are 1,312 feet long and draft 82' which is the absolute max draft through the straight.  So they must be dragging the bottom through these areas.
    Probably completely useless trivia to be sure, but interesting anyway.
  • WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭

Interesting- I can tell you for certain, the USS JOHN C Stennis (CVN74) is 1092ft in length and all carriers before are slightly smaller.