In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

HELP!!! - Plastic wad smear in new to me H&R rifled barrel shotgun.

AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2020 in Ask the Experts
I have always used smooth bore shotguns for quail, dove, snipe. woodcock, & etc.  Always cleaned after the hunt or the next day at the latest.  Bought a rifle barreled H&R for slugs on the lower Suwannee for hogs.  It has plastic wad smear big time in the barrel.  I have cleaned the barrel 3 times with 'cotton-mop' saturated with Shooter's Choice solvent (No-Ricci Wright doesn't make it) and a bronze wire brush.  Still getting BLACK residue on the clean cloths and still have plastic wad smear.  Label on Shooter's Choice says it is for plastic wad smear - but I still don't see any particular improvement.  Is there anything better for the plastic wad smear??? Or is this simply a matter of clean the barrel 3-4-5 times more to remove plastic wad smear??  Any helpful suggestions would be gratefully appreciated - even smart butt comments are OK.  Best Regards - AQH
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

MANY THANKS ALL - consensus was wrap bronze brush with steel wool - dip in acetone - scrub a bunch - repeat several times.  Did that - followed by the suggestion of using Kroil.  Four patches saturated with Kroil took out bunches of black residue.  The 5th was OK - followed by a dry patch.  The barrel now looks like it should.  Again MANY THANKS ALL - Best Regards - AQH

Comments

• Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭
    Acetone. If you don't have any maybe your wife has a big bottle of nail polish remover which I think is the same thing. Soak a patch and run it down the bore. Get the bore good and wet and then work a wire brush through it a few times followed by more acetone patches. It may take some work but the acetone should dissolve the plastic.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    I've been using this bore cleaner, made of nickel shavings lately. I'm sure with shooters choice, it will do the job. Best be very careful, with any of the extream solvent cleaners like shooters choice or acetone. Very toxic! See if Simple Green, will work with the Big 45 metal cleaner. 

https://www.big45metalcleaner.com/
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,358 ***** Forums Admin
    Yep, what Ricci says. Or use lacquer thinner Lacquer will defeat most plastics. 
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    Wrap your bronze bore brush in 000 or 0000 steel wool, then soak in lacquer thinner or acetone and scrub like you mean it. When I do this on a smooth bore barrel, it always amazes me how much plastic is coated on the forcing cone, in what looks like a clean bore.
  • Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,473 ✭✭✭✭
    I never used shooters choice in a rifled shotgun barrel but it works great for me in smoothbores. I soak the barrel down heavily and lay it flat, turning it every 10 minutes or so. A half hour later I push an extremely tight patch through. So tight that I rest the rod handle on the floor and push the barrel down over it. The patch will have a ring of plastic residue on it as it comes out. Maybe you need to give it more time to work. Bob
  • Options
    waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭✭

Did you buy this barrel used? If you did then maybe someone that had it before you was shooting lead slugs through it. It maybe lead being viewed as plastic, maybe? I have had my barrel start to show fouling of plastic before, but I never had that much trouble getting it out.

• Options
    pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭
    I just brush mine out with a stiff brush from the muzzle several passes then spray wd-40 on a tight patch and wipe it a few times then a clean dry patch a couple times and it seems to not build up as much after doing it that way a few times.
    just my way and works well for me.
    just because you could doesn't mean you should
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,745 ✭✭✭✭
    Steve, For our deer barrels I have a drill and bronze snug fitting brush with patches (2)  wrapped around them. Acetone with barrels off the firearm and run that setup through them and cone out clean as can be. I run a dry patch last step. YMMV.
  • Options
    chmechme Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭
    Kroil.  Wet, let set for several hours, Kroil gets between the fouling and the metal of the barrel. Clean tight patch to follow. It will even get copper and lead fouling out of old MILSURP rifles.  Does not dissolve anything, just one hell of a penetrating oil.