In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Winchester Model 70 Featherweight Stock, 2-Piece to 1-Piece Bottom Metal

Fairlane66Fairlane66 Member Posts: 336 ✭✭
I have a late-New Haven-produced, NIB Winchester Model 70 Featherweight rifle in 7MM WSM with a stock that was heavily damaged in shipment.  The damaged stock is set up for 2-piece bottom metal, i.e., a separate trigger guard and floor plate.  I found online a beautiful current-production replacement Featherweight stock off a rifle chambered in 308 Win.  The potential replacement stock is set up for 1-piece bottom metal, i.e., trigger guard and floor plate all one assembly.  Before I purchase the replacement stock, I have two questions.

1.  Will a M70 Featherweight stock for a 308-length action accommodate a 7MM WSM action?

2.  I understand there are aftermarket adapters that will facilitate converting a stock from a 2-piece to a 1-piece bottom metal.  I believe I can also just buy new 1-piece bottom metal.  Will both options work in this case?

I realize there's a lot on the web about this subject, but there's so much conflicting information that I'm confused.  I'm hoping one of you Model 70 experts can help me out.  Thanks in advance for your thoughts and recommendations.

Comments

• Fairlane66Fairlane66 Member Posts: 336 ✭✭

It has been a while since I've been on this site, so I was looking over some of my older posts. While no one replied to this post, I noticed someone had flagged it for some reason. Can someone tell me why it was flagged and what error I might have committed? Seems to me a question about firearm parts would be proper in this forum.