In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

J Stevens 520-30 Trench Gun -

KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2020 in General Discussion

With a bit of work on it. (Based on the research I've done.)

A John Moses Browning design. The 520A/520-30 was a wartime production 1940-1945 Military Trench and Riot 12ga. Pump Shotgun. Based on the fact that Mine has the P and Flaming Bomb on both sides of the receiver, has 12ga. Proof Tested 2 3/4" on the left side of the barrel and the J Stevens Arms & address on the Right side of the barrel, has a sling swivel stud installed (the correct one) in the butt denotes it as a "Trench Gun." Made late 43' early 44'. Capable of "Slam Fire" action.

It has had (all work seems to have been done by a very competent Gunsmith) the barrel shortened by 1", (19", not the 20" it should have) Rifle sights added. (Very nice ones I might add.) Rear fold down, front can be drifted and has a brass visibility bb on the back.) Front sling swivel installed. Rear butt shortened by one inch ( as determined by photo's that show the sling swivel plate 1"" from the end of the butt, and a redhead recoil pad installed to bring the correct LOP back. It has the correct M1907 US Property stamped leather sling in excellent cond. included.

Underside of front end of the barrel has the barrel indentations it would have took to install the Bayonet lug with the screws transversing the underside of the barrel. The Bayonet lug and heat shield have been removed. (Too bad because these parts are $800+) All in all a very interesting journey in to the history of this fine, (excellent cond.) Handy little Pump 12 ga. I aqcuired a few years back for less than $500 if memory serves me.

Had forgot I owned it, found it in the back of my safe yesterday.

Comments

• RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
  • KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry for the 1st abbreviated post Rob. I have to post a couple words, then come back and edit on a New discussion, or it will lock up every single time. I've not figured out why yet. The rest of the info. is there now.

• Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds pretty ratty to me. Where did you find a rusty hulk like that. I wouldn't shoot it. Someone would probably loose an eye. With a 19" barrel it might make a short tomato stick. I just watched a video where this lady was forging a frying pan and maybe you could do something like that with the receiver if there is enough metal. The stock is probably from knotty gum so other than tooth picks I see no use so into the wood stove it goes. 
    edited August 2020

This is one that I do not believe came through you Ricci. It is a Very nice Riot pump. I have a few. "Hi, my name is Ken, and I am an addict."

I believe you have "Spine" envy. 😉

The stock is the correct Linseed oil dipped ("for 5 sec.") Matte Walnut. No varnish.

The 520A/520-30 Receiver is a very unique Monolithic block similar to a Browning A5 in appearance. Research also indicates this is a "Take down." I still need to look into, and figure that out. I have a video yet to watch on that.

• Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭✭
    Ken, I'm not suggesting that you hack up a good trench gun. But when you take one down with a short barrel, it travels well. This is a 21" bbl & will fit nicely in a bug-out bag. Might have to refinish it & have choke tubes installed, one day.

Appreciate you Toolman, but that is a 520, or a 620. Not a 520-30. Different animal and receiver configuration. Sportsmans configuration, not the Military issued model. Receiver on the 520-30 looks just like a monolithic A5. (And) The Military versions had 20" barrels, and non-checkered stocks.

Still, a nice firearm Brother. Thanks for the post.

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    Stevens, actually Savage, had curtailed production of the 520 in the 1930's. Because of the war, and they still had all the required tooling, gauges etc. They went back into production, of the trench guns for the U.S. military.

No offense meant. But as a long time collector of military firearms. Anytime they have been substantially altered, from their factory original condition. Their value to a collector is severally diminished. To the point they have no collectors value. And can only be classed as a "shooter". Unfortunately, I been there, done that, a number of times when I was a active collector.

Understood that when my research uncovered the changes done to this Weapon, however well executed rufe-snow. No offense inferred.

• buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,235 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a near pristine 1938 Savage 720.Bought it in Asheville back when the gun shows were downtown before the liberal hippies moved us to the Ag center.
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    Picked up a 520 humpback 16ga w/solid rib barrel years back in a package deal of broken guns. A good cleaning and a couple of small parts put it back in action. Pleasure to shoot, but a heavy chunk of steel to pack in the field all day.
    Ken, it's a shame bubba got to that one before you got it. War time production was just over 33,000, and the majority of those got a Cutts compensator and sent to aerial gunnery schools. The 520-30 Trench was still being used in Korea and VN. "If" you see one for sale, they're over the $2K mark now.

I hear you Trap. I thought I just had a Mil. Issued Riot Pump, until I started researching - and then I went "Nnnoooohhh.................................."

Who does that to a Trench gun? I know about the prices for an authentic one. Researched that also.

Slaps hand to forehead.

At least it is not a Bubba job. Very professionally executed.

• TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    Stuff that can make a grown man cry, it comes across my work bench on a regular basis.
    Got one right now brought to me in pieces, and missing a few, a 1905 Model 1894 SRC. A Special Order Half Magazine SRC, that Bubba tried to make into a full magazine carbine. He turned a rifle, that if left untouched, would have been a $4-5K collector piece, into a $200 shooter. I'm trying to get it back as close to what it was as I can, but short of a Turnbull restoration, it'll never be what it was. When I get it done, I'll start a thread with before and after pics.
    Ken,  a plain old Western field 30 (520) just sold for $390.
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/875652770
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    Ken,  a plain old Western field 30 (520) just sold for $390.
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/875652770
    Had a 520 years back, it was in good shape. But 16 gauge, nothing wrong with a 16, except nobody wants them. I kept it for awhile, till a guy at work took a shine to it.

Hard to believe that any 520, let alone a hardware gun. Fetching $390. But with Joe the grouper, and his pinko friends on the near horizon. Not surprising. I imagine, that anything viable for home defense,  is in play nowadays. No matter how questionable?
    Here's one that's going at $1625 locally with tine left. Saw a heat shield also.