In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

AIRSHOW!!

Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2020 in General Discussion
One of the perks of my office is having a window that faces west towards the airport and seeing all the military aircraft flying low as they pass directly over the building while doing touch and goes. Just now a gorgeous Lockheed C130 Hercules in gleaming white and orange Coast Guard livery is here. A U.S. Navy P-8A Poseidon anti submarine plane shows up frequently as do a pair of U.S Marine Harriers. It brightens up my day.

Comments

• Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,593 ✭✭✭✭
    I love to watch aircraft also....we are about 40 miles from Whiteman AFB.   A few times a year the B-2’s will fly over and one in a great while some A-10’s and C-5‘s....always gets me outside to watch them and try to get a pic or two !
  • Options
    Nanuq907Nanuq907 Member Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭✭

There’s a good chance a friend of mine is on that Poseidon. Small world. We’re armed to the teeth here with F22s and they like to launch for intercepts. You know something’s up when the windows start shaking and you see the jet trails going nearly vertical outta here toward the DEWIZ.

• Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭✭
    Back in the 50's we lived in a small town about 35 mi from Wright Patterson AFB. At least once a week there would be fighter jets on maneuvers flying pretty much right over our town. More often than not, they would be breaking the sound barrier. If I was outside, I had to clench my cheeks tight to keep from needing a wardrobe change. If I was inside it would shake the whole house, rattle all the windows and anything else that it could. And it would still scare the crap out of you.

Ahhh the good old days. :D
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

V-22 Ospreys here. Nap of the earth up our holler, then touch and go's at the very small rural airport about 5-6 straight miles, or about 7-8 if you follow the road.

The Airport Managers Son is a V-22 Pilot. Not sure where they are coming from, but they are here fairly regular.

• Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭✭

My house sits under one of the flight takeoff patterns for Seymour Johnson Air Force Base F15 E strike Eagle base . Seeing them is an everyday thing . See some of just about everything that the government flies thru the year .

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
  • Options
    RidefarRidefar Member Posts: 266 ✭✭✭
    Great pictures, thanks.
    Very cool camo pattern on the F-16, have not seen this before.
    Any idea what the German plane is and its story ?
    Spoke with a German fighter pilot at an airshow at Niagra Falls AFB in the '90's, had a great story as I recall.
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭
    What's that Typhoon (7th pic) doing in Alaska?
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,486 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

This little beauty was out in the lake Saturday. Pops must have ordered a swim call. He and his son were up on the wing, as mom and a couple of daughters were swimming around her.

Grumman Goose. Less than 350

were built 70+ years ago. Incredible that some have survived.

Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭

V-22 Ospreys here. Nap of the earth up our holler, then touch and go's at the very small rural airport about 5-6 straight miles, or about 7-8 if you follow the road.

The Airport Managers Son is a V-22 Pilot. Not sure where they are coming from, but they are here fairly regular.

Ken I was one of the 1st guys to do a HALO jump from one.  Cool aircraft I am glad they got the bugs worked out of them.
    RLTW

• Options
    Boy you guys are good!  I wondered who'd spot a foreign wing snuck in among the Alaskan birds.  Yes indeed, Red Flag.

• Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭
    Man that Raptor is a purty plane!!
  • Options
    Yep, and it makes its presence known (and felt).  The base where I work has a Raptor wing and the boys are up practicing a lot.  I go out walking for exercize breaks and when they're busy you can't even hear your own voice if you talk REALLY LOUD.  You feel it in your chest.  I remember when they delivered the first one a few years ago.  They closed the airspace and the Wing Commander took it out to show us what it'll do.  The entire AFB came to a grinding halt as 10,000 eyes looked upward.  Jesus, Joseph and Mary.  We all just stood and stared with our jaws hanging open.
  • Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭
    We installed a lot of equipment for several Lockheed Facilities and I was in their place in Ft.Worth when it was announced they had won the F22 contract. A whole bunch of happy people. I have been within ten feet of a F22 on several occasions and it is almost as impressive standing still as when it's flying. I have never seen one running hard cause when they were flying around Dobbins AFB they were taking it pretty easy. It's a shame they cancelled that program.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,197 ✭✭✭✭
    Forty-nine years ago, this was yours truly taking off on my departure flight from Ban Me Thuot. They sent me the slide years later (it had not been stored well, judging by the black specks.)

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice pictures from everyone.  I get two possible airshows, one at a reserve base that flys F-15's and the end of the runway is right at rt 90.  They takeoff in formation and are barely 500 ft at the road.  It can make you jump when they hit the afterburners.

The other show is right over my house.  We live about 10 miles from the end of the runway for another reserve base with C-5a's that are doing touch and go's all the time.  The c-5a's are quieter now with the new engines.  With the old engines could not have a phone conversation with them going over with the windows open.
  • Options
    CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭

This guy had the gaul to do laps over the farm Saturday. Blue and yellow paint job with "GO ARMY" painted on the bottom of the wings.